Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Contact?

So I've been trying to push forward for an assessment for a good while now. I had this email in early August saying "Funding for an assessment has been approved but it may be October before the assessment can be carried out. I?m still working on getting you a date when someone can do the assessment.

I?m about to go on holiday so wanted to let you know how things stand. I?ll be in touch end Aug/early September"

Obviously this time frame is rather vague and the uncertainty is stressing me out. I wish people wouldn't do that. So it is now early September, how long do you think I should leave it before getting in contact with them again to check on progress? :wacko:

Hi ScienceGeek

Well unless I'm very much mistaken, it is now early september and the end of August has past.

I would get in touch now stating the correspondence you had and that no-one has been in touch yet

Always worth keeping them on their toes

Good Luck

If I were you I would wait until around 10th September, so they won't feel like you are pressuring them, and then send a reply saying you hoped to have heard from them by now and you wondered if there was any progress with arranging your assessment.

I would wait until mid September (15th which is a monday). That way both time frames are well past and it won't look like badgering them to get it sorted IYKWIM.

Flora

I think I'd pester now, myself.......

I've found that being patient and nice with these things gets you left in a sad, cold spot at the bottom of the heap. I don't mean be aggressive, but be assertive. Let them know that you're not prepared to wait forever, tell them the uncertainty is stressing you out, and while not being pushy, be firm.

Having said that, I've had a pants kinda day, so I might not be in the right frame of mind for this!! :rolleyes:

Nah, I'd say be polite but firm and get back onto them. Get the mix right and they should be a bit more forthcoming!

Esther

Id be pestering them on the phone now if it was me!!!

My reasoning would be to get them to confirm a date you need them to actually bother to get your paperwork out and the diary. I tend to think that if you keep pestering (politely that is) then the worker will eventually sort it out just to avoid the hassle of you ringing!!!

Of course if you are rude or offensive there is the chance your paperwork may get "lost" or "delayed" out of spite!!

I ended up e-mailing in the end. I just wrote a general, "hi, haven't heard from you in a while, just checking on progress. Hope you had a nice holiday" kind of reply. :thumbs: He normally responds pretty quickly so hoping there will be some kind of reply by the end of the day, even if it is a "no news" reply.

Edit: Got reply, no news yet :(

Edited by ScienceGeek

Maybe you should try a quick phone call in a day or 2.

They can put you off a lot easier on-line

Be firm but polite

Good Luck

I've made the experience that people often 'forget' what they promised to do while they are on holidays. You have to remind them (politely, of course) after the holidays to get them started. If you don't contact them at all, you will have to wait for ever ...

I know how disappointing this can feel. Experience has taught me that what ever time scale someone gives for 'getting back to me' to double it. If they get back to you within the time scale they gave it's always a pleasant surprise, if they are a little bit late it's better than you allowed yourself to expect... if they haven't got back to you by the end of the doubled time scale then it is perfectly reasonable to make an absolute nuisance of yourself.

Flora :D

Ok,

I got another e-mail from him today asking for my GP details so she can refer me to the person formally. Hopefully things will finally get moving as I need to change my GP after this is all sorted. :whistle:

Today I got a copy of the letter he sent to my GP. So now the formal letter has been sent to my GP to get her to refer me.

Anyway here is the letter.. maybe I was just taking it too personally.

Dear Dr ______,

I recently met Mr H at the opening of _________ Autism Resource Centre. This was a fairly high profile event including local politicians, Director of Social Services, Commissioners etc. Mr H described problems accessing a diagnostic assessment for Aspergers and to cut a long story short I was asked to seek a way forward.

As you probably know, there is a gap in commissioned services for people with Aspergers. However, I have managed to negotiate a "spot-purchase" arrangement with Health Commissioners and identified a local provider willing to do a one off assessment. If you are happy to support the assessment I need to ask you to make a referral.

The referral needs to be made to Dr _______ Learning disability services, . The PCT will pay for the assessment.

Thank you for your help. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

JC

Finally I think things are getting somewhere.. :pray:

SG, your post may have contained enough information to identify the professionals involved, so I've deleted some names and initials. - Kathryn.

Edited by Kathryn