Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Identity Crisis

I'm not really sure what you would class this as, perhaps some kind of identity crisis or just a natural progression in life? Whatever you call it, it is quite disconcerting. I've come to the realisation that I don't recognise me anymore, not physically but as a person. Who am I? What do I believe in? What do I stand for? What kind of person do I want to be? What are my likes and dislikes? The list of questions go on, I feel like the thing that is me has become so fragmented I don't really know the answers anymore. Couple this fragmentation with my intense obsession with my own mortality and fear of death and it makes for plenty of nights of broken sleep and tossing about in bed. I guess I wanted to get this out of my brain to let you all know what is really going on in my mind and not just the superficial stuff that is going on in my life. I hope this isn't inappropriate :unsure: I feel like I'm floundering trying to piece myself back together again. :ph34r:

SG I am NT so dont know if qualified to answer but as Mum to 4, one nearly 20, and I with ASD and an avid reader of this forum, I would say that many, many of us have felt the same at your age, and often at even my age!!! its the whole meaning of life thing, but as life goes on, and you have kids/jobs/house/ etc etc you just dont get time to think so much! not sure if that is good or bad but thats just how it is!! so it sort of gets sidelined and then you just accept it/life. but as I say, thats an NT version, you may get different answers, but >:D<<'> >:D<<'> anyway Enid

This will probably sound really old-fashioned/middle aged, but I've always found that doing things that involve helping other people really helps to take you out of yourself.

When my DS was little and I couldn't work because I was his primary carer I did voluntary work with a local charity for kids with additional needs (plus Brownies :o:ph34r:) It helped to give me something else to think about and a sense of contributing to my community.

My job now really gives me a sense of identity and the feeling that I'm making a positive difference. I know you're a student, so there will probably be loads of stuff on offer at uni...doing something with local kids, helping in a shelter over Christmas, etc, etc.

Good luck, and hope you start to feel better in yourself!

Bid :)

Don't mean this to sound patronising...it really has/does help me with my difficulties to feel I'm making a positive difference :)

Edited by bid

to add to what Bid says, we dont all come pre-programmed with what we like and want to do and where our lives need to go.

We have to discover this for ourselves and just to mix things up peoples likes and wishes change as you grow up and/or life changing things happen.

Youve had a lot going on in your life both physically and mentally so its not surprising you may have lost touch with yourself and you may well have changed as a person.

Oh also just to add as kids we beleive generally what we are told then as an adult we discover the real world for ourselves and those beliefs and likes may have worked for you when younger but not now.

Don't mean this to sound patronising...it really has/does help me with my difficulties to feel I'm making a positive difference :)

Oh it didn't come across as patronising at all Bid :thumbs:

I'm a natural worrier/over analyser if left with the time to do so. :whistle:

hi,

dont worry i had the same problem for a long time, i think for most its actually a normal thing to go through just most dont actually admit it!! so well done!

Some good things going on right now:

- Member of the Disability Students Group

- Joining the Bristol Disability Group

- Have been in contact with the volunteer service at uni and they are contacting the NAS about volunteering for them :thumbs: