Hi,

I have been trying to teach ds how to tell a joke (not sure why...) and the whole concept is totally lost on him, we first tried "Knock Knock" Whos there, Dr, Dr Who! this resulted in him making up random names for who might be there, and he has no idea who Dr Who is.... so I tried "Why did the Chiken cross the road" which ended up in him having a pig a farmer a tractor with a trailer two sheep a cow and several other animals crossing the road to get to a new farm........

Just wondered are jokes something he might understand one day? not important but just wondered as his peer group are at an age that they are telling basic jokes and ds can not understand why they do this and why they are not telling the truth!

Hi,

I have been trying to teach ds how to tell a joke (not sure why...) and the whole concept is totally lost on him, we first tried "Knock Knock" Whos there, Dr, Dr Who! this resulted in him making up random names for who might be there, and he has no idea who Dr Who is.... so I tried "Why did the Chiken cross the road" which ended up in him having a pig a farmer a tractor with a trailer two sheep a cow and several other animals crossing the road to get to a new farm........

Just wondered are jokes something he might understand one day? not important but just wondered as his peer group are at an age that they are telling basic jokes and ds can not understand why they do this and why they are not telling the truth!

My son who is nearly 6 and NT (he has traits for sure but I think basically he is NT) can't do jokes and has been exposed to the "Knock, Knock... Dr Who!", one and followed up with variations on a fruit theme ie "Banana, apple" "Banana, jelly", but he did finally make us laugh with "Banana Beaseley" - I think desperation had set in by then! Anyway, I know that sometimes people who are ASD can have problems with humour but I suspect that a lot of four year olds and even six year olds might too.

janine

My son who is nearly 6 and NT (he has traits for sure but I think basically he is NT) can't do jokes and has been exposed to the "Knock, Knock... Dr Who!", one and followed up with variations on a fruit theme ie "Banana, apple" "Banana, jelly", but he did finally make us laugh with "Banana Beaseley" - I think desperation had set in by then! Anyway, I know that sometimes people who are ASD can have problems with humour but I suspect that a lot of four year olds and even six year olds might too.

janine

Thanks for your reply made me smile

Hi

My son 8yrs has a terrible time getting jokes and he tries hard to make them up, knock knock jokes are just not understod by him! he cant see that its funny, yet he will make up his own jokes that do not make any sense to us, but he thinks they are really funny, we all laugh together, i have tried to get him to understand jokes, he takes them literaly so i feel he dosnt understand them.

I still don't get about 99.9% of all jokes :tearful:

DS - no, well he does sort of but has to disect it and say exactly what was meant and why it was meant to be funny so he gets jokes a bit!

But I don't, I always have to pretend to laugh! I can't tell jokes either because I forget the ending or the middle so no, jokes aren't really part of my life! How sad does that sound. :rolleyes:

My husband has been telling the same joke for the last 10 years, he forgets who he's told it to so it can be embarrassing. It isn't even funny!

Here it is -

Horse walks into a bar, bar man says "Hi there, why the long face" , horse says "well I am a horse"

Hilarious eh! He thinks it is very very funny and rolls around laughing every time he tells it, but no one else ever laughs. Its a shame really.

Hi

Its not just jokes 2 of mine don't get.... last night we watched Britains got the pop factor jesus christ superstar strictly on ice the Peter Kay spoof well we spent an hour trying to explain to a 9 & 13 year old that it isn't REAL!!!!! They just couldn't get it. Thought we'd convinced them that the woman was really Peter Kay but my 13 year old has just come in and said ' I think Gearldine won that show last night cos it said on the tv that shes got a cd out'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh IT ISN'T REAL. :wallbash::wallbash: :wallbash:LOL LOL

Edited by cathyz

:lol: Cathy, Why did you do it to yourself! :lol:

The other week we watched The Crocodile hunter with DS and his sisters. The man died a few years ago, stung by a stingray or something - DS remembered hearing about it. DS said, how can he be on TV - he is dead! We expalined that it was filmed when he was alive but he spent the whole time the programe was on (an hour!) asking how he was on TV if he was dead.................................! :wallbash:

Nope. If we watch you've been framed, he will be looking at me the whole time to see if I'm laughing or not. If I laugh, he then does a really over the top laugh as well. Which I find quite sad.

Hmmmmm Jokes.

Our son is now 14 and hes does get some jokes others just go over his head, when he tells jokes that he thinks are funny I laugh even though I do not know what he is going on about. Sometimes he will hear a joke and then that becomes his joke for a long time.

He does not get sarcasm but we are teaching him about this. The latest was as follows:

Ds just got out the shower

Mum: love the hairstyle it's really cool!

Son: Is it? - rushes off to bathroom to have a look.

Returns to mum

Son: No it's not I have not doe it yet!

Mum then has to explain about sarcasm but of course DS tells me he knows I was only joking. :lol: So I have to laugh.

As for TV programmes I think I have posted this before he gives us a running commentry about what is not possible we tell him it is just a film and made up, specail effects etc, If he has seen the film before will tell you what happens. We are working on this and if he start to do this we have the same converstion around not telling because it spoils it for others, he is getting better at not telling.

Quite often he will watch our reaction and then join in with the same be it laughter or clapping or any other type of gesture.

Jokes in this house just dont work he dont understand jokes n def cant grasp sarcasm at all!!!!

Yes, he does the watching me thing to see if I find something funny then going over board and litterally rolling around laughing!

If fact he watches me constantly for reactions, at home and out and about as if he is constantly taking cue from me about how to act.

Hi all

Z doesn't get jokes at all

They just go right over her head it's as though she has no sense of humour. Really quite sad

Nope. If we watch you've been framed, he will be looking at me the whole time to see if I'm laughing or not. If I laugh, he then does a really over the top laugh as well. Which I find quite sad.

Wow I thought I was just imagining it with my lad..thats what he does aswel. It is nice in way if that makes sense to know im not going mad noticing it.

My adult stepson does that, laugh when he thinks he should rather than when he finds something funny.

I rarely laugh out loud just smile, so he thinks I'm a miserable old so*.

Ooh...my 11 year old is at roughly the same stage of developing humour as his 5 year old brother, so when they're in the mood to be 'funny', we gets reams and reams of jokes like this:

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

"Because the horse told him to!!"

*cue gales of laughter and much rolling on floor.....* :rolleyes:

That's one of the GOOD ones, too!!

There are some jokes that he gets, and will chortle away with the rest at, but much of the time, he just doesn't get it.

He's not bothered, so I'm not really bothered. We have a good laugh when we have girning contests and tickle fights, and there have been a few brief, shining jokes that were truly funny.......

Wanna hear one? For some reason, this next one absolutely slayed me, I still chuckle quietly when I think of it.....

What's silent, and smells of worms?

Bird F**ts!!!!

If, and only if, mild toilet humour amuses rather than offends you, then try this link- it's rather funny, and fits in with my post quite nicely!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oca8Du7natQ

My DS, unusually, gets jokes, makes them up and understands new ones! It's one of the things that made teachers and other professionals think there was no way he could have an ASD. The only thing is he often tells the same thing again and again and again. So much that we had to write a social story!

Ooh...my 11 year old is at roughly the same stage of developing humour as his 5 year old brother, so when they're in the mood to be 'funny', we gets reams and reams of jokes like this:

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

"Because the horse told him to!!"

*cue gales of laughter and much rolling on floor.....* :rolleyes:

That's one of the GOOD ones, too!!

There are some jokes that he gets, and will chortle away with the rest at, but much of the time, he just doesn't get it.

He's not bothered, so I'm not really bothered. We have a good laugh when we have girning contests and tickle fights, and there have been a few brief, shining jokes that were truly funny.......

Wanna hear one? For some reason, this next one absolutely slayed me, I still chuckle quietly when I think of it.....

What's silent, and smells of worms?

Bird F**ts!!!!

If, and only if, mild toilet humour amuses rather than offends you, then try this link- it's rather funny, and fits in with my post quite nicely!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oca8Du7natQ

Your bird joke made me howl with laughter. R must be an odd case as he does get most jokes. He particularly likes the toilet humour - so he will squeal with delight at your joke when I tell him tomorrow!! LOL

BTW loved the youtube link!!!

'Tis quite funny, eh?

We're back to the absolute groaners again though, Cal told one today that silenced a room- he was in utter fits of hilarity though!!

Hi,

Well, i'm 21 with aspergers and dyspraxia. After many year of disecting jokes and even reading every joke in one of those 100 joke books i managed to work out why some things are funny, but not all of them and i don't always laugh. I have however developed my own sense of humour that relies mostly on irony. Watching the latest batman movie, i found scaringly enough the joker's sense of humour was close to mine. I laughed on the scene where he had set the truck on fire, because he had chosen to set a firetruck on fire rather than an ordinary one.

Dunno, just my sort of humor. Like the film 'mirror mask' that is a text book definition of my sort of humor.

I also find myself laughing when people go through predictable patterns of conversation. Like 'hows the weather' etc, its like a check list they go through - find it hard not to laugh when i make a comment about the weather or family or something.

From my point of view, i think sarcasm may cause more problems than jokes. I still find it difficult at times picking up sarcasm.

JP adores corny jokes. He also makes his own up, some of which are funny, some of which are not. As a leaving present when he finished his first placement, his colleagues bought him a joke book!

His humour is at a much younger level than his chronological age, I'd say. He still enjoys stuff like the Chuckle Brothers.

To you, to me ... :ph34r:

Joke on TV this morning

What's red and smells like blue paint?

Red Paint

Z's reply to this was " no it would have to be purple cos to make the red smell like the blue you would have to mix them together and red and blue makes purple"this was followed by a small chuckle

I think the chuckle must have been because of the completely bemused look on my face. Talk about how to pickle your brain, lol

I told P a joke that goes like this today

Q what is the capital of Iceland? A. about �3.50!and :lol: so i got him to tell the same joke to his brother and he asked whats the capital of Ireland :rolleyes: and then goes to bro number 2 whats the capital of Iceland? bro answers I. P gets annoyed and says your suppose to say I don't know :rolleyes: poor love :wub:

Joke on TV this morning

What's red and smells like blue paint?

Red Paint

Z's reply to this was " no it would have to be purple cos to make the red smell like the blue you would have to mix them together and red and blue makes purple"this was followed by a small chuckle

I think the chuckle must have been because of the completely bemused look on my face. Talk about how to pickle your brain, lol

I must admit that when I read this joke I thought of the colour purple.......

Here's another good 'un-

What's in the middle of a jellyfish??

A Jellybutton!!!!

:lol::thumbs:

Cal, ever the Spongebob afficionado, found this hilarious, and so made me repeat it till he got it right.

Then he went to the OH and got his tang all tungled and it came out wrong and not funny at all!!

Oooh, he was ever so annoyed at himself!! Bless!