Sign in to follow this  
skye

HO HO HELP!!

Hi Everyone,

Well It's not my first year with a kid with AS but it's the first year that I actually know what it is and that my daughter has it. So, I am really trying to get her some things this Christmas that might help her rather that get on her nerves and end up with the piles of headless barbies, unloved dolls and the plethra of other stuff that gets no attention at all. Does anyone have any good suggestions? So far she is asking for a marble run and a few other things. Is there anything that your kid absolutely loved? She is into math and space. She is just about 5 years old. I know this could differ bigtime depending on what your kid is into, but let's get some ideas going! Thanks, Skye

reece used to be into thomas the tankengine so all his presents used to do ith thomas as he wud just cast aside everything else......

he is now into pokemon and he wants the fur real puppy called biscuit.......

sorry not much help

hav brought him some construction sets as thought this may help with his concentration and fine motor skills

love donnaxxxxx

My eldest's wardrobe has shelves full of toys that well meaning friends and relatives have bought him over the years. He has NEVER played with toys.

He is 15 now and people just give him money - that's what he wants.

We have always played safe and ask him what he would like, that way we know he's gonna use it.

Mummy

Wow great ideas everyone and thanks for the link to the science museum and stickers. There is some super great stuff on the sites I bought her a metal detector as she saw one on some show she likes and talks about it. I don't know is it just me or does metal detector not rank on most 5 year old girls christmas list?! HAHAHA I am just glad the Dora phase is finally passing us by! ADIOS DORA!!! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!! LOL I am in a loopy mood for sure!! LOL :whistle: :whistle: p.s. I have had a good look at the space stickers. Houston we have a problem. It doesn't appear to have the nine planets and not the correct sizes. I see a long chat coming!!

Edited by skye

I think Sainsbury's have started selling Science Museum toys too.

Be careful with the marble run if you give that a go. My AS daughter, now 22, had a go with her brothers when she was about 4 or 5. She mouthed the marble, inhaled it and turned blue ... one panicking mummy! I held her upside down and shook her and it came out. But I had let her play with it because at 4/5 I thought she was over mouthing toys as I didnt know she was Asperger's then. Now Im paranoid about marbles with little ones. Ive also noticed that DGS (nearly 6) still puts things in his mouth so we have to watch what we give him. Mind you, she wont fit a metal detector in her mouth will she!

Hi,

My daughters 15 - but remember the marble run when she was little - she absolutely loved it - we didn't have any problems with her putting things in her mouth as she never mouthed anything (unlike my NT 5 year old) - but she did like sniffing things - but the marble run was never included in that scenario!!! (thank god).................

She also loved lego, metal detectors and big enormous books on dinosaurs and stuff like planets.

Take care,

Jb

p.s. I have had a good look at the space stickers. Houston we have a problem. It doesn't appear to have the nine planets and not the correct sizes. I see a long chat coming!!

Simple...bin the planets and just put up the stars and spacecraft :whistle:

My son is 15 soon and I have bought him a marble run and dominoes thing as he has been interested in them for a while now-so hope he likes it. Hawkins bazaar is a fantastic shop-my son loves all the gadgets and sensory stuff they have. You can also order on line-which I do because it's easier than finding time to go shopping.

Marble runs seem to be loved by most children - AS and NT.

www.mindware.co.uk has lots of maths/puzzle/logic type things (they also have a lovely 126 piece marble run!). Qwirkle looks like a good game for all the family.

I soon learnt that there was no point buying my son anything he was not interested in. His obsession was electrics, but he also liked k'nex.

Marble runs, yep sons had that out all afternoon.

Plastic Meccano is also a favorite. We got the big tub and have added to it. Son has never managed to make any of the things your supposed to be able to make just abstract things but always has it out.I did make up one of the cars, it only took my 2 hours. :tearful:

Duplow and stickle bricks are also high on the list of favorites as he finds he can manage them OK. Abstract things of course, I only know what they are 'cause he tells me.(we have giant tubs of both left over from when I did childminding). He's got some Lego but finds it a bit to fiddly to do much with.

And Pavement chalk, spends hours drawing and redrawing road layouts in the garden.

WOW! Lots of good ideas and things to think about. Peaches- Libby does mouth things so I might have to do a bit of a re-think on the marble run. Although she plays with magnetix that have small metal balls and it has been ok. I don't even know how she knows what a marble run is, she just keeps asking for one. Something to consider. Kazzen- Thanks for the link to mindware. Aro- good idea about the stickers. I was looking at space pack2 which were just space ships and stuff. Might be good. Chris54- I bought Lib a bunch of Magnetix before now, I mean a bucket full. I liked your comment about abstract creations. Once I went down stairs and had a line of magnetic ball. magnetic ball. magnetic ball from the front room down the hall to the kitchen. It mast have been 15 feet long. Purplehaze- Thanks for letting me know about the Hawkins Bazaar. I am on my way over there next. Cheers everyone. Skye

p.s. you can tell I am new to this forum thing. I was afraid to leave anyone out of my replies!!

We were at the garden centre today. What a complete nightmare. Lib saw a lava lamp. She really really wanted it. I was just scared that they get really hot. She has high tolerance for pain and I was afraid she may try to hold it and get burned. I'm not sure about it, but she did really like it.

We were at the garden centre today. What a complete nightmare. Lib saw a lava lamp. She really really wanted it. I was just scared that they get really hot. She has high tolerance for pain and I was afraid she may try to hold it and get burned. I'm not sure about it, but she did really like it.

What about one of these laser pod? I'm told that they don't get hot and a electrical store that sounds like a holiday camp (not allowed to name companies but can PM you if this is too vague) has them for �29.99!

A x

Sam loved Marble runs to death! Best marble run that is still in one piece and Sam has used hammered and re-used for years was made by Techno-gears. The boy is a maths and science geek so something he could constantly re-tweak to work better kept him happy for hours. Some of the other makes are in a more friable brittle form of plastic that cannot withstand Sam getting cross with them. This one could.

http://www.marblemaniaextreme.com/

She may also be happier with boys toys like lego technic mecanno

WH Smiths have a nice range of 'science museam' toys. I know because Sam and his dad found them and we left them to it whilst me and Annie ran off into the books. :whistle:

One thing to add, Sam cannot cope with 'surprises' he needs to see his presents wrapped and placed under the tree regardless of what they are. He still wants to rip the paper off on Christmas day like everyone else but the worry over what might me hiding in that paper is way to much for the lad to cope with.

Almost forgot, anything with magnets.

Christmas Day will come, presents will get opened and then--

--- and then the new things will get looked at for 10 seconds and then--

--- and then it will be back to the old and trusted toys.

Thanks again everyone for their great ideas. The Tesco solar system is just up my alley and price range. Thanks for the link to the marble run and laser pod. I only put the gifts out on XMAS eve while Lib is asleep. Well "Farmer Christmas" as she calls him does. She also thinks that GOD is the farmer of the world. Apparently what they tell them at school even "non-denominational" ones!!