Sign in to follow this  
bikemad

one to one

Had a conversation with a mum up my lads school and her dd gets one to one n she said she had to complain cos the 'mum' that was assigned to the dd didnt even know bout autism and they had to ask for a different one to one so a different 'mum' is now the one to one........once my lad has the diagnosis in writing he will be having one to one n I was under the impression it was someone trained in that kind of thing not just a volunteer mum at the school?

And so it should be!!!!! otherwise instead of helping it makes thing worse, as is my case, his TA (a mum who helped up at school) was with him 7 school days and he got excluded! she was totaly inappropriate with him, met him head on in everything, resulting in him running out of school every day, he never had before and on the last day phoning the police from the staff room to report her!! too long a story to tell here but the one to one can make or break them, so be warned and get involved if you can. Enid

Some support assistants are not trained but the ASD advisory teachers will go in and train staff if asked-but I always find it's the teachers who do not understand as in my sons case they haven't had training although it was offered!

When a child gets a statement for whatever number of hours of 1 to 1, the school gets an additional amount of money to pay someone for that number of hours. That person dose not have to have any formal qualifications but would be expected to be experienced or be working under supervision.

Thanx for the info. I thought if my lad was going to be getting 1-1 it would be with someone qualified not just some mum from down the road if that makes sense.

Hi, my sons 1-1 support has no idea about asd! I am having huge problems getting school to understand his complex needs even though he has a statement and a diagnosis my words fall on deaf ears and the battle is constant. Training is now planned for January.....Will it make a difference???????

In my opinion all teachers that are in contact with an asd child should have at least a basic knowledge and understanding and 1-1 support need to be given training BEFORE thay are able to support an asd child.

We would expect a french teacher to speak french, understand french and have an interest in france before they were allowed to teach french to children... So why are untrained staff or those that simply do not understand the importance of the way children on the spectrum think and learn able to supoport our children! :wallbash:

Hi, my sons 1-1 support has no idea about asd! I am having huge problems getting school to understand his complex needs even though he has a statement and a diagnosis my words fall on deaf ears and the battle is constant. Training is now planned for January.....Will it make a difference???????

In my opinion all teachers that are in contact with an asd child should have at least a basic knowledge and understanding and 1-1 support need to be given training BEFORE thay are able to support an asd child.

We would expect a french teacher to speak french, understand french and have an interest in france before they were allowed to teach french to children... So why are untrained staff or those that simply do not understand the importance of the way children on the spectrum think and learn able to supoport our children! :wallbash:

Thats my feelings exactly. :thumbs: Im thinking now bout what in gods name l happen if he gets one to one with someone with no idea...it l make things worse not help!!

I think it really depends on the TA themselves rather than just on the training they receive. Some people can have all the training in the world and still not 'get it' and still have the wrong personality to work with a child effectively. Another person can have no training but be open and willing to listen and to learn and try new things and, as long as they have the right attitude and manner, can suport a child really well. Training is only ever any good if the person being trained is open to it anyway, iyswim. Afterall, how many of us parents have had any formal 'training' as such.

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

I think it really depends on the TA themselves rather than just on the training they receive. Some people can have all the training in the world and still not 'get it' and still have the wrong personality to work with a child effectively. Another person can have no training but be open and willing to listen and to learn and try new things and, as long as they have the right attitude and manner, can suport a child really well. Training is only ever any good if the person being trained is open to it anyway, iyswim. Afterall, how many of us parents have had any formal 'training' as such.

~ Mel ~

A VERY very vailid point!

:thumbs:

My ds1 has a ta in year 4 that was useless fully trained with papers etc but didnt know what she was talking about but in year 6 he had the best ta no qualifications and learnt on the job he got used to her as she was getting used to him. When he left he cryed not for the school but for her. 1 -1 means exactly that and doesnt have to be a trained lsa. Bikemad im on the other forum under the same name if you ever need advice with diagnosis and assesments im on there more than im on here.xx

I agree wil Mel

Totally agree with Mel.

All our children are different and someone with empathy, an ability to think on their feet and get to know your son is far more important than armfuls of qualification. My heart sinks every time a new autism training course is announced in my schools staff room. THey are usually run by someone who has no practical experience and staff return with the mistaken belief that if they do "a, b and c" they can change an autistic child.

Thanx for the info. I thought if my lad was going to be getting 1-1 it would be with someone qualified not just some mum from down the road if that makes sense.

Hi Bikemad,

Sadly having a teaching assistant with knowledge of SEN is seen as a bonus not a requirement. In our secondary school we have just employed a T/A who has never worked in a classroom or had any experience of special needs.

Although the job spec was for a person with extensive experience of supporting in KS1, KS2, KS3 +KS4 and HLTA status the school were only willing to pay H2 for this position which is a lower hourly rate than supermarket cashiers.

The young lady does however have a university degree in philosophy and has taken the job as she hopes one day to do teacher training. :tearful::tearful::tearful:

In the meantime she was sent to another secondary school for a day to get her T/A training as the school can't afford to send her on a proper training course. :tearful::tearful:

Julieann

Valid points....someone could have all the training in the world but if my lad don't like them then he wont wanna know. He went back to school today after 2 weeks off n im waiting for a call cos he was soooooooooooooooooooooo hyper n out of it!!!!! :unsure:

Rach04 :D