Sign in to follow this  
ryansmum2

IEP - told by Senco Parents have ''no say''

hi all

the Senco at my sons shcool informed me that 'we the parents' have nothing to do with the writing up of a new IEP

is that right ?

i always thought the parents were meant to be informed /help write it/ and sign it

for 2 years in a row now we have not been shown the IEP until about 6 months after its been put in place

arent they meant to be signed stright away by the parents ??

my son is on School Action Plus and has been since year 1 - he's now in year 4 and the IEP is only getting changed once a year - he is struggling teribbly in every aspect of shcool - he's is mainstream

any thoughts ?

mel xx

Hi Mel

I've found some info. on the NAS website - here's a Link

This is a quote from the NAS site :

'When reviewing IEPs teachers should consider:

the child's progress

the parents' views

the child's views

how effective the IEP has been

anything that is affecting the childs progress

any updated information and advice

future action, including changes to targets or strategies

After considering the child's progress, the targets to be achieved by the next review should be set by appropriate staff with the involvement of the parents and, if possible, the child.'

Hope that helps

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi - look at the SEN code of practice para 5.50 onward http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/3724/SENCodeOfPractice.pdf and SEN toolkit section 5 esp para 32 & 35 on http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/4610/Too...%205%20Text.pdf

In short - a working document, parents views should be sought as part of the process, at least twice a year and maybe termly or even more frequently.

My experience is of a (pretty flaky) meeting at the end of which we all (child included) sign a document which may or may not be meaningful and may or may not be adhered to.

hi Both

thanks so much for that - i think i will print out this info and show it to the so called 'Senco' she of all people should know all about the rules of an IEP

My son has struggles for 4 years now, 1st on SA then SA+ - the shcool has only been giving him a new IEP, ONCE a year - and we have only signed one TWICE !

Thanks so much for the links,

mel xx

--- parents views should be sought as part of the process ---

This of course does not mean that any notice needs to be taken of their views.

Edited by chris54

Hi, in my experience it depends on the school and staff. I work in education as a SENCO and with children with ASD. We have a review every few months with parents and professionals involved and discuss the targets on the IEP and make new ones. It is very rare that we would keep a target rolling unless really needed, You should have targets that are realistic and achieveable.

From my sons point of view (15 with ASD, mainstream, statemented for 20 hrs plus what school offer). I have always had to ask for a copy of the IEP even while he has had a statement. I am never asked to sign it and the same targets are used for ages. The parent comments are always made up by the SENCO-not my words. I always ask for a copy of IEP's and things I believe I should have been given-sometimes needing to re-ask. I requested an interim review recently as the school were talking of restraint for non-serious things (IMO) and the SENCO took it upon herself to fill out forms that my son and myself should have done, the minutes had things that wern't said-so I had to get it put right as it goes to the LA.

I am seem IMHO as a pushy parent but I beleive that parents shouldn't need to be pushy if their child is in the right place working with the right people-easier said than done!

Do you have anyone from parent partnership involved (although not always helpful) they can be supportive.

My son is in his first year in an autisim specific unit attached to mainstream.... his plan is reviewed every 8 weeks, we met to discuss it before it is drawn up then i sign it only when im happy! And a copy should always be sent home!

This of course does not mean that any notice needs to be taken of their views.

I would add that my experience has always be good and that my views have been listened to.