Sign in to follow this  
lisac

disney land paris

hello, does any one have any advice/tips/suggestions/ regarding taking my 21 year old autistic son to disney land paris. I have no idea where to start .

hello, does any one have any advice/tips/suggestions/ regarding taking my 21 year old autistic son to disney land paris. I have no idea where to start .

Gatwick!

Sorry - couldn't resist. Sadly I have no sensible advice other than to say that if you take the plunge I hope you all have a great time. Out of season would be much better in terms of access/crowds, but on the downside Paris isn't known for it's out-of-season weather, so it's swing's and roundabouts. I went to Paris in December years ago and it is WAyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy colder in a cold snap than the UK. We couldn't go up the eiffel tower because the lift was frozen solid :(

Hope someone who knows happens along soon - there are plenty here who have done it, and it usually goes okay in the end :)

:D

Weve done paris disney too, dont go by boat and coach, J was ill the day we went to the iffeltower and the journey was just too long so go by plane if you can, or faster modes of transport, also we stayed in a hotel outside disneyland, I would pay the extra and stay in disney land itself.

Decide carefully if you want to include sight seeing paris, or is it a decicated disney land trip, persoanlly again I would just stick to the park as venturing out and going on the river boats of paris pushed J over the edge.

Take your own drinks, wopping prices left us bankcrupt.

J used the disneyland carrages to he didnt have to walk the full distance, so look into the scooters/travel systems for disabilties.

Also there will be discounts for carers and disabiltitiy facitlies, so disabled toilets, shorter ques, guides, ect....

J did have a good time though especially meeting the charachters and he dressed up himself as buzzlightyear, toy story was big then.

J wants to go again, but we will travel either by ura tunnel, or plane and stay in the disney resort, we are also researching the big disneyland in olando.

I went in december too and we wore fermals and wollies and it snowed though it was fake, but really realistic.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

We have done Disney Land Paris as a coach trip via the Eurotunnel. We stayed outside Disney land Paris about 20 minutes from the park. It was a lovely quite area to stay in. A very good trip nothing to complain about. Poor food choice in the park and drinks are very expensive

We have just booked up for Disney Land Florida for October half term week. We are staying on International drive which is about 10 minutes from the park. There are free buses which you can use or you can use public transport.

Personaly we have decided not to stay at Disneyworld hotels because of the hype and noise levels.

My child is very sensitive to noise touch etc. We will also board the plaine first or last.

I am being very brave and going without my husband. But I am going with a friend (Not that shes been away with an ASD child before) It should be interesting.

We have done Disney Land Paris as a coach trip via the Eurotunnel. We stayed outside Disney land Paris about 20 minutes from the park. It was a lovely quite area to stay in. A very good trip nothing to complain about. Poor food choice in the park and drinks are very expensive

We have just booked up for Disney Land Florida for October half term week. We are staying on International drive which is about 10 minutes from the park. There are free buses which you can use or you can use public transport.

Personaly we have decided not to stay at Disneyworld hotels because of the hype and noise levels.

My child is very sensitive to noise touch etc. We will also board the plaine first or last.

I am being very brave and going without my husband. But I am going with a friend (Not that shes been away with an ASD child before) It should be interesting.

The hotel we stayed in was in a very noisy traffic conjested area and they stuck us on the 13th floor with no window saftey catches, so basically J could of bungie jumped out the window, the hotel bedroom was conjested with cigerette smoke and J couldnt cope with smell of smoking remains.

We didnt sleep, couldnt afford to eat and drink properly, the breakfast was a cousant and coffee so basically we starved, it was not a nice experience for the hotel part.

We wouldnt stay out of area again, as the coach itsself taking us there and back every day was basically a nightmare.

Thats why I susjested the parks own hotels where the children ate with the charachters in special adapted eating areas and away from noisy Motoways.

The holiday to disney was a mix bag of splenour and nightmare which was about five years ago now.

So hopefully the hotels out of the park are much improved.

JsMum

J wants to go again, but we will travel either by ura tunnel, or plane and stay in the disney resort, we are also researching the big disneyland in olando.

JsMum

i went there when i was 12/13. it was a complete nightmare. i was undiagnosed so had no access to disabled facilities. you really need to look into everything you can get for that. the queues were 3hours plus for every single ride. the seats on the rides were covered in sick which had just been sloshed off with water... it wasn't a fun trip! on the flip-side i absolutely loved epcot. far more on my level (things to think about rather than just go round in circles on) the lines were better, the park was clean and its still disney. serious walking involved but again, you can hire a wheelchair if you're disabled and line jump on some of the rides.

Universal studios in florida do not allow line jumping for disability. they class the 3 hour wait in line part of the 'experience'.

we stayed on international drive. it was well-suited to get to the parks in orlando.

i hope i didn't scare you with what i said above. i've been to florida twice. the second time we skipped disney world, and had a much better trip! we went to epcot, one of the water parks (i didn't like that but the rest of my family loved it), sea world - another fantastic place. quieter, few lines, lots to look at although i know they've now got a few rides as well. universal studios my family loved but i had to be dragged through the rides crying. the first one we went on was the jaws one and i wound up sitting on the boat right where the shark came up, and then the fire sparked... it didn't go down well and the only other 'ride' they could get me through the door of was the tornado one. i was literally pulled through it by my mother while i cried and screamed. a bit embarassing for a 13 year old!

we also went to a place which i think was called homosassa springs, or something like that. not a theme park at all but a really nice nature reserve. they had a manatee underwater viewing thing, a little boat tour, a woodland walk... it was really nice and quiet and after all the theme park madness was much appreciated!

the downtown disney shopping place isn't worth the effort of getting to in my opinion. just a few shops and some bars for adults.

oh. if you go to the water parks beware they close them when they're full. it took us three days of driving to the park and it being shut before we could get in! not good for kids who need to do what they've been told they're going to do!

we looked into euro disney for two of our foster kids with major behaviour problems. we decided we'd stay off-site so that when we left the park we really left. otherwise we would've been nagged to death to go back all the time! we planned it to be a dedicated disney trip. no sightseeing because it was a holiday for the kids and they wanted disney, but knew they'd need the boundary of leaving the site to calm down each night. we were going by euro tunnel. sadly we never got to go as the kids just couldn't cope with any kind of holiday

We have booked up to go to Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins. We are really looking foreware to this.

The water parks should be enjoyable, but we will get there early to avoid disappointment.

As for Disney Land I don't know how long we will last in the park but at least we can go in for a few hours. Its always wise to head towards the back of the park via the train system. That way its much calmer.

Also we always book into smaller hotels and request a low floor. Better to prevent problems occuring.

We have booked up to go to Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins. We are really looking foreware to this.

The water parks should be enjoyable, but we will get there early to avoid disappointment.

As for Disney Land I don't know how long we will last in the park but at least we can go in for a few hours. Its always wise to head towards the back of the park via the train system. That way its much calmer.

Also we always book into smaller hotels and request a low floor. Better to prevent problems occuring.

ive taken my autistic son a few times to disney and it was brilliant. he loved the eurostar train because he is obsessed with trains and i actually spent one of the days sitting in marne le vallee station at disney so he could just watch the different trains coming in and out. when i booked direct with disney they were very helpful, i got a room on the ground floor incase he didnt like going in the lift and by showing his dla letter and explaining when we arrived we had quick passes to all rides and facilities with no queing at all, it even allowed him to get autographs and meet the charactors with no queues and everyone was most helpful. we stayed in the village at one of the disney hotels and ive always taken him out of the busiest times, he had his own camera which also kept him busy and although he doesnt need one i got him a buggy to push because he loves the wheels. i really couldnt fault it there, yes the food isnt brilliant and yes its expensive, but it was brilliant for him and he managed really well, if one place was too hyped for him or busy, he just pushed the buggy to the next place.

my eldest 24 has also been to disney but not with me and also loved it. i would definately recommend giving it a go, we are going again before easter hopefully if i can afford it.

hope you have a wonderful time if you do decide to go.

We have been to Eurodisney several times with our now 23 year old autistic son.

We always went via Eurostar which takes you virtually a stones throw to the park. We also stayed in on site hotels which are within walking distance to the park, no need to negotiate busy transport. We made sure we went during school holidays and avoided public holidays (both British and European) and tried for midweek, it usually guarantees the parks are fairly quiet. We always had a good time and my son loved it.

Hi, we went to EuroDisney 2 years ago (and 2 years before that). Both on Euro Star, that went straight into Disneyland Resort. We had a lot of special needs children in our carriage and the staff were really good with both children and parents alike. (it was a very lively and entertaining 3 hours!!)

Its a good idea to tell the tour operator at the time of any issues any of your party may have, but in general, if you get the "disney train" it will be full of youngsters, Mickey Mouse,and laughter..... "hot dog!!!"

We have been a few times. On the last occasion we stayed at the Ranch just outside Disneyland and drove there. It was a nice site. Indoor pool on site but to be honest in the three days we just went to the park. We went in February and it snowed. It was great. We always go self catering as it is so much easier. Try and stay around for the evening parades. There are supermarkets not that far away.

Ive done Orlando disney twice n would love to go back but really cant see my lad coping with it but he keeps asking for disney paris so im looking into it and prices etc but am wary cos of how he is with noise, smells n sensory stuff etc.

Hiya, been to Disneyland Paris with our son a few times now, if you contact them by e-mail they have a brochure about disabled access they can send you. If you dont buy your tickets until you get there, go to guest services to buy them and one carer gets a free ticket-saved us 90 euros on a 2 day hopper. You need to take your DLA letter and a letter from the doctor dated within the last 6 months- just saying he has autism would find queing difficult. You get passes to go in the exit of the rides and you dont have to Q. We found Sequioa Lodge best-its near enough to get back quick if he's had enough-we e-mailed them before we went and when we got there they upgraded us to a suite-worth a try!Have a great time,Maz