ryansmum2

How can CAMHS help with Aspergers ?

hi all

i've heard many of you talking about CAMHS and have just found the website

but i dont understand how they can help with Aspergers ?

my DS is have real trouble at school (learning and social) and school advised talking to CAMHS,

but i can only see them covering England and im in Wales?

do wales have a CAMHS or something similar ?

and how could they help?

id be most grateful for your comments

thanks mel xx

Hi, CAMHS are mainly for things like ADHD/ODD Conduct disorders, and the treatment of these, they include other mental health problems too like eating disorders ect.

I found this but dont know if it is your area, but you could ring them and ask them to redirect you to your area.

http://www.pdt-tr.wales.nhs.uk/en/services...amhs/index.html

There should be leaflets explaining about your areas CAMHS and I read on the internet a new state of the art CAMHS is opening this year in wales.

We had regular appointments with CAMHS here and J saw a psychairtist, in the early days it was behaviour management, hes been admitted in a unit when he was extreamly aggressive towards other people, then later reassessed, had a trial of medications but he lost too much weight and more ASD traits came so he came off them, since he sees his psychaitrist for discussions and adds reports, He was on a waiting list for play therapy but his provisions are priovided by his school now and we dont have much to do with them now.

I would also say that it depends on the area for support.

Good Luck.

JsMum

hi JsMum

so glad to see your back !

thanks so much for that link - i searched but couldnt find anything Duh !

it was just what im looking for - do you (or anyone else!) think that they could help my DS

he's 81/2 years ols and has :

a DX of aspergers

tioleting issues

severe lack of concentration

'' '' '' motovation

only on level 3 reading

can hardly write

'' '' spell even simple words

well below his peers

has no friends

is certainly depressed

shows signs of anxiety

severe ballenceand gait issuses

toe walks ALL the time

makes 'odd' movements

'gigs' back/forth ,up/down

talks completey out of context

very irritable

has huge out-bursts of anger

i could go on and on - can they help ?

thanks again mel xx

They could help with a number of the issues you wrote but the list includes other agencies that could also help, The movement and mobility will be Occupational Therapy, the concentration and litracey is Ed psychologist for assessments, and stratagies in the classroom.

It maybe once you have had an appointment he may refer your son onto other services.

Or you can refer yourself to OT.

Good Luck.

JsMum

yep we do have them in wales ?? i dun live far from u but we go to a diff hosp,,but the camhs is based up ur way and i saw the consultant psychiatrist tday wiv little one,,she came from ur hosp to mine if u know what i mean? we saw the paed at our child and family clinic first and she dun all the referrals onto the different teams ie- ot ,salt and so on,,hope this helps jo x

You are under the same health authority as me I live in the rhondda there is a cahms yeah(not up to much but they are there!!!)....you need to ask for a referal from your doc or pead.

CAMHS havnt really helped me i done it on my own i have aspergers but also MH probs 2! i sorry to inform you but i strongly believe CAMHS doesnt do much good! just makes u feel so much worse than when you started going! my pyschtrist doesnt get and understand AS n how this affects my everyday lyf! it ok for him sitting there just seeing me not long at all! and telling this and tat isnt rite in ma lyf putting me down messing my head n life up my family a betta support network than he is! it a waste of tyme n energi i bin going there since i was 14 years old refferred by family doc! but hasnt benefited me in any wich way i need regular support and help from services and feel this isnt happening theyve failed me and others the hurt n pain we are put WHY! selfish havnt got time resources an excuse just cant be asked to help us out when struggling or stuck! im annoyed frustrated and fed up of playing their hidden mind game when we have to live the reality! the government running out of supplies makes me mad and angry at everyone and everything it a shambles of a system in place so disorganised and have no clue what personal autistic life is truly like in our world we are screaming out in our way to be picked up and noticed no igorned and told to shut up and hope it goes away as it wont and cant! something needs to be done NOW! PLZ LISTEN to our stories and experiences!

take care

luv ya loadz

Have to say im with smiley on this...the local camhs is not exactly wonderful round here...im about to complain about them im currently writing the letter.

sorry i just have to be open and honest truthful with how CAMHS is my personal experiences with having MH probs i taught myself no thanks to CAMHS input im now with adult services and just the same approach and service they give i could do a better job and im the client id be better organised and just could relate why cant people like myself be trained up through their experiences and stories to be pyschs,link workers etc why dont they provide what they suppose to! what the point in them being there if they NOT doing their right job proper!if we give up and in then where would we be! what a mess confused mixed it awful to be in! i so wish i didnt have MH probs but i do and im made to feel its my fault i feel guilty to blame when they should blame themselves! how else agrees!...? my pyschtrist didnt inform me of side effects for my anti depress meds mirtazapine 45mg in now which i am putting on a huge amount of weight and makes me eat loadz! binge eat and become hungry it mad everything ahhhh they so make me want to scream and fight off any help and support the NAS key worker cant come soon enough! (if im entitled to anything at all! fingers crossed!) as i dont want to just be stuck with adult services! that do naff all basically! at least NAS have got more network systems for AS and linked MH probs pyschtrist doesnt want to do anything to help and support me long term i know i NOT alone in this situation many peeps and families struggle to cope like me wheres the justice in that and fairness! tell me! id love to know! i work dam hard to try mainstream just need extra help and support that all i dont think that must to ask fr government! and its society services!

bikemad

why you complainin about CAMHS for...?! what letter you writing...? my family have been pushed close to them extremes with CAMHS in my local area!

Hi,

We're in S.Wales and have CAHMS in our borough. They can help will lots of things for short periods of time, like OT etc, but also anxieties, depression, with therapy i.e. learning relaxation techniques - but very often it is only if your child will co-operate - my daughter didn't with some aspects so she was removed from their help on certain things. She has been referred again and seeing them at the moment for anxiety disorder.

Take care,

Jb

bikemad

why you complainin about CAMHS for...?! what letter you writing...? my family have been pushed close to them extremes with CAMHS in my local area!

Im writting to complain about the person we see as he has his head too far up his own backside to know what he is doing, he speaks to me like ive no idea about my own son and he says one thing at one appointment then totally different at the next n the last appointment we had with him was so short it took me longer to park the car than it did for the whole appointment(3minutes!!!). We had a different guy before him n that guy was fab n at the point of making the diagnosis for my son final then he left n this idiot took over n im getting nowere fast n all the while my son is getting worse.

my pysch sees me in about smae tyme as urs c ur son it so silly n stupid how they can expect to know everything and hear everything u have to cay in tat tyme! ahhh sounds the same CAMHS! lol my pysch bores me silly i know more than him about myself! i feel it my fault and im to blame! for having mh probs and aspergers together!