oxgirl

He cut his own toenails!

Sounds stupid, but this is a big deal for us, Jay cut his own toenails today!! :thumbs:

It's normally a horrendous ordeal, with him squirming and screeching and crying as soon as I touch him, but he'd always refused point-blank to try and do it himself, was scared he'd chop off his toes or something. :wacko:

Anyway, I'd noticed for the last couple of weeks they'd been getting really long but didn't mention it. This morning he said they needed doing (usually I have to coax him into letting me do it), so that was a big step to begin with. I said, how about if I show you how to do it yourself, you'll feel more in control and it'll be less stressful all round (I've said this every time for ages and he's always refused). Well, he agreed :o so I casually showed him how the clippers worked and demonstrated on my own finger, etc. and off he went. No fuss. No crying. No screaming the house down. Just calmly sitting clipping his own toenails like any other 15 year old!! Yipppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :clap:

Small steps ............................ :D

~ Mel ~

I know how much of a nightmare doing my lads nails is so I know this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge thing for you..... :thumbs:>:D<<'>

It isn't stupid I'd love T to cut his nails as he also hates having them cut and wants them long..nightmare!

Arrgh, my lad has a simple solution-he simply bites his nails almost down to the quick, thus avoiding any nastiness with nail scissors! I cannot get him to stop! I've tried to explain why this isn't a good idea, but he won't stop. And now he's hidden the scissors, to boot!

What a ridiculous design fault nails are anyway! Like wisdom teeth and the extreme ugliness of feet and........

I tell you, me and the big guy will be having WORDS on the day I reach the pearly gates. (Though it might be prudent to see if I get in, first!) :D

Mel, you must be chuffed, well done that lad. :clap:

My lad is 30, hates having his nails cut but has a fear of cutting his own nails. I tried sticking some 'nails' made from laminate on to a wooden hand and getting him to practice cutting them with clippers. His attempt was ok if a little clumsy but sadly he still refuses to cut his own nails.

Even though he hates the process he's now happy to let someone cut them and is grateful for the support.

Nellie xx

Edited by nellie

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Gives me hope for my son who is also 15 i still cut his toenailes and he nibbles his fingernailes.

its something people take for granted with "normal" kids but its a brill achievenment for kids with problems.i knlow when my son announced he could tie his shoelaces and proceeded to show me i was on the telephone to his gran,me sister,his dad basically everyone i was that excited.and he was 13 at the time in fact i actually cried.

Small steps but they eventually get there.