Emma_74

another new 1 here!

I'd just like to start by saying hello to everyone.

My son was dx in November with ASD, ADHD and DYSPRAXIA and I have to say that I haven't been dealing with it very well , I'm finding everything hard to take in.

I knew there was a problem but not to the extent of what the problem was I just thought he had ADHD.

I've since done some research into ASD but to be honest i'm not really that much further along, you read one thing on one web page then you go to another page and it contridicts everything the first page has said.

Welcome Emma, :)

There is a lot to absorb at first. I hope sharing views and experiences with other parents here will help you: many will understand what you're going through.

K x

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Our eldest son (11) has Aspergers, ADHD and dyspraxia and it is a potentially explosive combination!

You have found a place where people understand where you are coming from. Drawing a boundary beuween ASD's and ADHD is especially difficult as so many of the issues apply to both.

Don't be hard on yourself though, it is a lot to take in and you are human after all!

Does your son have a statement?

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Hello Emma and welcome :thumbs:

My DS (6) has high-functioning autism. Even though we were not surprised by the diagnosis, it still came as a bit of a shock, and it takes time to come to terms with it. Look after yourself and give it time.

Nicky >:D<<'>

Welcome to the fourm :)

My adult son has AS, ADHD and dyspraxia.

You've found a fantastic source of support and information here!

Bid :)

I have to be honest and confess that I didn't know if Connor was statemented or not!!

I had to go and ask his teacher I felt like a bit or a fool not knowing the answer to this question and not even knowing what a statement was.

Basically what he said to me was that Connor wasn't statemented but he is on action plan +, he didn't see the need for Connor to be statemented as he is still in a main stream school and coping with the action plan + support.

Also he told me that Oxfordshire wants to be a statement free area.

My arguement to this is well what's going to happen in September when he moves onto secondary school?!?

He told me that he is going to liase with them about Connor and his special need so that they will know what to expect and what he will need.

Mmmm don't feel quite as optomistic as him but we will see

Hi emma - welcome to the forum :)

I've since done some research into ASD but to be honest i'm not really that much further along, you read one thing on one web page then you go to another page and it contridicts everything the first page has said

:lol:

Pain in the bot, that, isn't it?! The reason is that autism isn't any one thing, and that all sorts of people have all sorts of different opinions about what that one thing it isn't is! :lol: Autism is an umbrella term, but every raindrop is unique (I just made that up! I suspect i'll be using it again though, even if it is a bit sounbitey/cliche!) :)

You've found a good site here where all sorts of different opinions come together - ocassionally clashing in quite spectacular fashion but mostly getting along well and accepting/accommodating a wide range of perspectives. The mods here do a great job of walking the middle ground despite the dangers inherent in that :)

erm... tough. I want to be rich and handsome but so far the first has eluded me ;):whistle:

It doesn't matter what Oxford 'wants' - what matters is what your child needs... If you are happy that SA+ is meeting his needs and the school are, that's brilliant :thumbs: , but if that's not the case or the situation changes then 'what oxford wants' doesn't come into it (though you'll not find it easy to make that point stick).

Welcome aboard

L&P

BD :D

I was quite taken aback by that - how dare they play politics with your child's needs!!! :angry::wallbash:

I want to be rich and handsome but so far the first has eluded me ;):whistle:

mmmmmm.................. :ph34r:

Autism is an umbrella term, but every raindrop is unique (I just made that up! I suspect i'll be using it again though, even if it is a bit sounbitey/cliche!) :)

nice :D

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am relatively new to this too. My son hasn't been diagnosed yet. He is also called Connor. I read your post with interest as I do with most new posts. I can't offer you any advice as you are further on than me but I wish you and Connor all the best. I would say that if you feel your son needs to be statemented you should fight your corner.

x

At the moment while Connor is in primary school things are good and i know that he doesn't need a statemant because they do everything they can for Connor at his school, I really couldn't have asked for a better school.

The problems will come in September when he moves onto secondary school, i know he's not going to be able to cope with it all very well , moving around to different classrooms, different teachers every lesson, maybe different children aswell , he's going to find that all difficult and confusing.

He also wont have his one to one that he has now and the option to get up and go out if things get to much for him.

I agree with his teacher that he proberly wouldn't get a statement at the moment but he's going to need one from September , otherwise he will need to be moved from mainstream school.

I am ready to fight my case for him though.

Autism is an umbrella term, but every raindrop is unique

I love this saying!!! it says it all well done baddad.

Lastly i'd like to say thankyou to everyone for making me feel welcome - knowing that you are not alone means alot.

hi my name is mandy,

I am new this forum too and like you i have a six yr old wonderful boy with AS, adhd and dyspraxia. and at times it is hard but there are many of us out there who can help, and talk .

take care x

Hi, I am new here too,and so far everyone has been soooo welcoming,my son has asperger's and adhd,he is 9,we only had a few weeks to get used to the idea that he may have asperger's before the diagnosis-i initially thought he may have adhd.

I find it has helped knowing what we are dealing with,as up until that point i kind of thought it was my parenting skills.Anyway,the more information i learn,the better equipped i am to find the right help and support for my son and the rest of the family.

We have good days and bad days,though..touch wood..with the lighter evenings,he is using up more energy and releasing some of his frustrations.His obsession is football,i know it is a typical thing for a 9 yr old boy to enjoy,but he really,really,really loves it.Tonight he has been playing out back with another boy..they played footie and not 1 argument!!Success!

Anyway,welcome to you,this forum has been a great find for me.

Dawn. >:D<<'>