Sign in to follow this  
Dawn22

Hi,

My son has been assessed and he fits the criteria for asperger's and adhd.He is 9 and i thought they were going to say adhd,so was quite surprised when they initially mentioned the possibility of asperger's..especially since i volunteer with kids with special needs and have some experience of asperger's! Anyway,i do appreciate that all kids are different,so try not to give myself such a hardtime about it.

There is a report they are sending me from the clinic where he was assessed,it was a lot to take in and i have forgotten half the stuff they said,i also signed something to allow my sons case to be discussed at some forum?Not sure if i heard correctly but am sure they said it would access him something to do with the local schools something or other....sorry it is so vague!!

I can'tm get a follow up appt unti after easter now,and feel a bit left hanging,i know these people are incredibly busy,but i couldn't manage the dates they would have liked to seen me on because i already had other committments,and i have a 3 yr old that i need to find childcare for.

Sorry for the ramble,and vagueness,i just wanted to get some support from other people going through the same.Does any of this make sense to anyone,does anyone know what i signed and what happens next.What are the chances of my 3 yr old having someething like this,he too is very 'active' and his hal;f brother and half sister also have adhd,they are in their teens now...

Thanks for reading.

Welcome

It can be a lot to take in when you get told something you are not expecting.

I can't help with the what you have signed query, maybe someone else will know. Hope you find some answers here.

There is always support here

hi Dawn,

I was in a simular situation to you, I thought that all that was wrong with Connor was that he had ADHD so i was quite blown away when they said to me it was ASD aswell - unlike you I knew nothing about the disorder and started researching in on the internet.

I couldn't make heads nor tails of what I was reading as everything seemed to contridict each other. :wallbash:

Then i joined this forum it's good to know that you are not alone, that the thoughts and feelings that you have many others have aswell.

Just that in itself is a great comfort :thumbs:

I don't know what it was that you signed but try to remember to ask them next time you go.

Emma

hi Dawn,

I was in a simular situation to you, I thought that all that was wrong with Connor was that he had ADHD so i was quite blown away when they said to me it was ASD aswell - unlike you I knew nothing about the disorder and started researching in on the internet.

I couldn't make heads nor tails of what I was reading as everything seemed to contridict each other. :wallbash:

Then i joined this forum it's good to know that you are not alone, that the thoughts and feelings that you have many others have aswell.

Just that in itself is a great comfort :thumbs:

I don't know what it was that you signed but try to remember to ask them next time you go.

Emma

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to get back to me,i appreciate it.My son is a very bright and capable boy,and when it is one and one time with me,it is fabulous,BUT unfortunately,home life cannot be just one and one time,there are 4 of us at home.He tends to get really frustrated with himself,and can fly off the handle which can be very hard to bring him down from.Luckily,since the possibility of him having asperger's first arose,i altered my own behaviour a bit,as i realised that in some respects his 'black and white' thinking was made worse by how i phrased things to him.He hasn't had a major meltdown-touchwood-for a while,i have noticed it comes in waves,and i find winter a particularly hard time with him,probably due to lack of light outside and therefore play.

The psychologist said to concentrate more on the aspi side of things,as the adhd traits came out more at home as we only have a 2 bed flat and are all on top of each other.However i just don't know where to go from here,what happens next..do i keep going to see the nurse practitioner,who i have been seeing for the duration of my sons assessment..as well as the psychologists?How long does this go on for?

My son never really fitted in right from preschool.

He had speech delay some learning difficulties but was improving so it came as a shock when he was diagnosed with ASD at the age of 7. That was about 15 month ago now.

I knew a bit about Autism as at that time I had been childminding a 4 year old boy for about 2 yeas who had not long been diagnosed with ASD but I cant say I saw anything of my son in him.

My sons biggest problems are social skills and communicating, along with motor skills.

I have learnt a lot from this Forum.

Before we had the diagnosis we sign for our son to be included in a research project at a local university. What this actually meant was that he was assessed by an psychologist, we where interviewed and a report done. That was it but the report has been very useful as it is being included in the Statutory Assessment proses.

Cant really help with what happens next.

For us it is all about school and what provision we can get for him.

Next week he has an appointment to see the community pediatrician as part of the Statutory Assessment proses, not sure what to expect as this is the first time he will have been seen by one.

Well that's it for now.

Edited by chris54

Hi Dawn!

Not sure what it is they've asked you to sign but I'm sure if you call and ask about it, someone should be able to tell you about it before your next appointment.

As for not seeing the ASD dx coming, its a bit like that old saying, 'You can't see the wood for the trees'- your son is just that to you, and I have often pondered over how different each persons' perception of 'normal' is.......

Even where NT kids are concerned, just look at your average classroom and wonder at the miasma of different behaviours exhibited- some parents think its okay that their child can be clingy, others wouldn't stand for it.....some parents push, some encourage their children to do well at school, and try to assist them.....others might not consider it all that important.

I know that while I knew something was up with my eldest, I still had to have a few things pointed out to me as being due to his Aspergers'.....(I hope that made sense???)

I really couldn't say whether or not your youngest is likely to have ADHD or not, but if you have concerns, then bring it up with nurse practitioner you mentioned. At least it means your concerns are documented, IYKWIM.

What I will say is that we experienced a lengthy period where my youngest displayed very similar traits as his big brother, and I confess to thinking, 'Oh gawd, here we go again!!!'

What it was, in our case, was the fact that we became rather insular as a family and the boys mainly had one another to play with. And the littley aped his brother's behaviours. (some of them, thank heavens not the more intense ones!!)

Once he hit nursery school he was able to figure things out as the kids around him were rather different. It must have been a bit confusing to him, but he got there in the end! Just bear in mind that could be a factor where your 3 year old's concerned, as 'copying' plays a part in their social development.

Anyhoo, I hope you get a lot of good stuff out of this forum, its a friendly place!

Esther x

Wow,

thanks so much guys,really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply,it means a lot..i have never used a forum before!

My son's behaviour has always been at a kind of double speed,i had him at 19 and when everyone told me that kids 'change your life'..i thought that his behaviour was what they meant!I had no experience of othe children,and the first baby i ever held was my son!

He has always done well at school,apart from never having many friends,and struggling to 'fit in',despite him seeming popular and well known when out and about with him.

He used to leave me physically exhausted,he never slept well,nor early and he was always on the go.When he started school,i obviously saw other kids there and realised perhaps,not all kids were quite like my son.I raised my concerns with the doctor and teachers,and had replies such as 'oh,he's just bright/willfull' etc.

As he got older,his frustration sometimes exploded,and during one particular night,he kept hitting and biting me,i finally managed to get him into bed and then sat down and wrote my new doctor a letter explaining exactly how he can be sometimes,she referred me to a clinic in my area straight away..my old doctor suggested i give him piriton!!!!

Since becoming aware of the possibility of as,things make A LOT more sense and therefore we can all work towards a better homelife for the family.

Don't get me wrong,we still struggle with bedtime and other areas,but i can SEE the areas i need to work on now,whereas before,everything seemed to be happening sooo loudly and so hectically that i couldn't see the woods for the trees!You were spot on pookie!!

Anyway,a little more of my story there for you all,

Dawn.

,i also signed something to allow my sons case to be discussed at some forum?Not sure if i heard correctly but am sure they said it would access him something to do with the local schools something or other....sorry it is so vague!!

Hi Dawn, I'm new today as well. I wondered whether the forum you mentioned was a Palm (?) meeting at school? As far as I understand it a panel of school (and outside help too?) who discuss various pupils and what additional help they will need. Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

Welcome anyway and I hope you find the answers you need.