NobbyNobbs

Britains Got... child cruelty??

i know this follows on from the other topic, but that was off topic so...

i can't believe they let that poor child perform. they must have known that she was terrified of being on stage. and to say she can do it again is grossly unfair, both to her, and all the other competitors who don't get to do their things over because they made a mistake. shame on them for letting that happen

mmhmm, over-rehearsing, talking about how important it is... such a shame. i wasn't overly keen on her in the auditions phase, but i do feel sorry for her, she was obviouslly under so much pressure.

however, i dont think its fair she gets to start over.

yup. the judges shouldln't have put her through, if only for the poor kids mental well being. now she'll be tormented again. i was however slightly amused when i watched a re-run on the news. when ant and dec said that the producers had said there wasn't time for her to do it again, she was actually having a tantrum rather than crying at that point. she stamped her foot and everything!

Hi Nobby, I noticed that! Was sitting watching with my 10 yr old daughter at the time, it was def a tantrum! I did feel sorry for her though, its also late at night for those kids, its just too much even the 11 yr old boy cried. God knows whats going to happen when she dosnt win tomorrow night!!!!! Enid

yeah, i bet they've had them rehearsing all day so they're already worn out, and then they've got so much pressure to do it right, and win and its just too much for them. which i suppose is why most of these shows have a minimum age

my parents do agree with you guys on here so do i! we think this digusting and appauling that the judges put her though when see how upset and distressed she was breaking down through song she oviously can't cope with adults world when she ONLY a CHILD STILL! i believe unfair and cruel! mum was smiling while daughter was sobbing her heart out at the end of show when she go through to final!

we think the age rule needs to be highed much more to stop this from happening! as could break a child's life forever low self-esteem,depression extreme cases suicide and other MH probs due to that experience for media/society is it worth putting a child through what she went through anyone could see what really going on there! even the judge panel unless theur blind! LOL how she going to cope with pressures under in final showdown if she doesn't win all for TV programme for show!? something needs to be done FAST SPEED! i think society and public SHOULD say NO this CAN'T and WILL NOT happen ON THIS SHOW! my parents angry outraged was in shock! it was allowed the ange range in first place|! trying make child into adult too much too soon! pathethic really! stupid!

we should start a petition on here! here your mission will you accept though is question! ? LOL how else agrees?

they already done the damage now!it's BAD WRONG MAD! evey sense of the words listed! who made up rules judges need to be SACKED! i know strong views and opinions! if she wins again how fame affect her could really knock her when she down she got no confidence/esteem!

XKLX

i think it may well be a problem with the management of the competitors this year, Susan boyle is also struggling. in the first series there was a 6 year old in the final and she was fine. she cried a little when she didn't win, but that is to be expected. i think this year its much more about exploiting the 'stars' rather than looking after their wellbeing. the children should be ablel to go on at the beginning, so that they dont have to spend the whole show working themselves up into a load of nerves. the competitors allso seem to have been given more responsibility over production of their act (backing singing/dancing, set design), so theres much more to worry about.

Bet you will all watch it again tonight.

Only ever seen bits of the program when walking through the residents lounge.

I can remember when Huey Green did this program, it was then called Opportunity Knocks.

It was just as much rubbish.

Opportunity Knocks never generated the kind of public frenzy which has surrounded this and other talent shows. The advent of the phone vote, and the internet means that the general public are more closely involved than they ever used to be.

When Hollie Steele behaved as many childeren would do and buckled under the pressure, she was subjected to a mindboggling level of public nastiness. She's 10 years old! Whether or not she has an enduring talent time will tell, but for the moment she should be enjoying the fun of performing at school, in her local ballet class or on a children's talent show - not on a show designed to subject adults to the maximum amount of pressure and humiliation.

K x

I have heard that Hollie Steele's "tantrum" was preceeded by a member of the audience shouting, "get off the stage you f--king b--ch!"

Opportunity Knocks never generated the kind of public frenzy which has surrounded this and other talent shows. The advent of the phone vote, and the internet means that the general public are more closely involved than they ever used to be.

K x

It just strikes my that people must have very little going on in there live to get so worked up about a T.V. talent show.

It just strikes my that people must have very little going on in there live to get so worked up about a T.V. talent show.

I think it's all a matter of proportion.

My girlies followed the whole series, and then we did watch the final as a family, which I saw as quite a positive thing. We didn't vote but talked as a family, all ages, about the contestants, including the fact that SB has LDs and why we as adults felt her treatment had been inappropriate (a chance to help the kids form sound values here I think).

We all loved Diversity, and again chatted about the positive aspects of the group (co-operation, hard work, wide backgrounds of the different dancers, etc).

So I think you can gain valuable family time and an opportunity to encourage conversation and good values, shared laughter and a bit of fun. We used to do the same with the Eurovision Song Contest, but sadly that family tradition died this year with the advent of G. Norton, one of DH's absolute bete noires! :(

Boho :dance:

Opportunity Knocks never generated the kind of public frenzy which has surrounded this and other talent shows.

K x

Hi kathryn/all -

I think the big difference between OK and something like BGT (and I mean this most sincerely friends) is that it didn't parade the people who weren't good enough to get through the auditions in front of the nation so we could all have a laugh at how bad/delusional they were. I remember when 'the gong show' (which is basically what this is - only with even more malice) was originally suggested as a format for British TV there were concerns about (and reassurances offered) it becoming a 'freak show'... that IS what we have with BGT and programmes like it - just instead of dragging Quasimodo round in an open wagon he is patronised into believing he's being accepted and then put on stage to be mocked. I actually think the former is more honest and less spiteful, becaues at least the pretense of acceptance is dropped.

I'm actually considering applying to go on myself... I'll dress up as Quasimodo and hobble onto the stage on crutches after explaining to the grinning ninnys (A&D) that I've just been cruelly deserted by the love of my life, Esmerelda, who I mistakenly thought actually liked me because she took pity on me when she saw me being beaten up in the street... I'll sing a self-penned little ditty called 'She Gave Me Water'

I am tho hugly and thyee ith tho beautiful

But thtill thyee gave me water

I bet her voith ith thoft and wonderful

But the bellth made me deaf, you know, tho I can't hear her...

Do you think I would be

1. Laughed off stage
  2. Patronised and voted into the final
  3. Offered a part in the west end Musical 'She Gave Me Water' but not the lead, as that is being set up for a public vote show called 'Hunt for a Hunchback' hosted by someone ugly enough to be Quasi's uglier brother...

Votes on a postcard please, and if you can't remember the name just put 'Fugli French Bloke' and we'll know who you mean :)

L&P

BD :D

I think it's all a matter of proportion.

My girlies followed the whole series, and then we did watch the final as a family, which I saw as quite a positive thing. We didn't vote but talked as a family, all ages, about the contestants, including the fact that SB has LDs and why we as adults felt her treatment had been inappropriate (a chance to help the kids form sound values here I think).

We all loved Diversity, and again chatted about the positive aspects of the group (co-operation, hard work, wide backgrounds of the different dancers, etc).

So I think you can gain valuable family time and an opportunity to encourage conversation and good values, shared laughter and a bit of fun. We used to do the same with the Eurovision Song Contest, but sadly that family tradition died this year with the advent of G. Norton, one of DH's absolute bete noires! :(

Boho :dance:

Agree with you in principle, Bid. Although we haven't watched BGT live, family K have enjoyed similar shows such as the ones where they picked a Joseph/Maria/Nancy etc. But these shows at least have a bit of quality control and don't in BD's words:

parade the people who weren't good enough to get through the auditions in front of the nation so we could all have a laugh at how bad/delusional they were.

I prefer shows which feature only the top contenders who are genuinely talented and have usually done some kind of training for a stage career, so presumably can handle the pressure and know what they're letting themselves in for.

I'm glad at least, that a genuinely talented act like Diversity won, but I don't want to watch young kids breaking down in tears - that isn't entertainment.

BD - definitely think you have a promising act there. You'll be in the final, for sure. :thumbs:

K x

BD - definitely think you have a promising act there. You'll be in the final, for sure. :thumbs:

K x

I think I'll combine the song and dance with some stand up:

Why did the bells of Notre Dame stop ringing?

I don't know.

Neither do I - but Quasimodo has a hunch

yadadadadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaayaya... i thank you ;)

Hi

I watched it and thought that there were a number of failings:

- Hollie threw a blatant tantrum (I believe she blew her chance and should have not been allowed to continue - there were a lot of contestants that were nervous and it's important to get over that if you want a future oon stage) and came across as being a brat

- can't make my mind up whether the mother was being supportive (not wanting to see her daughter fail for her daughter's own sake) or whether she was being pushy

- I think the judges showed a lack of backbone - I believe they only allowed her to continue so as not to be seen as being cruel (letting a little girl cry!)

- I thought there were far better singers!

Difficult one, because there are a lot of celebs that started off as child stars.

I think that it only goes to show that age is irrelevant - look what's happened to Susan Boyle! I think that poor woman was propelled to stardom and was completely unprepared for it. She was also targeted by the press - I recall seeing a very unkind feature with her wearing a blouse that was about the burst teamed with a pair of trousers with the zip down (ask yourself, how many times has your zip been down or you've walked around with your skirt tucked into your pants!?). Sad that it's not just a talent comtest anymore.

Caroline.

I think that it only goes to show that age is irrelevant - look what's happened to Susan Boyle! I think that poor woman was propelled to stardom and was completely unprepared for it. She was also targeted by the press - I recall seeing a very unkind feature with her wearing a blouse that was about the burst teamed with a pair of trousers with the zip down (ask yourself, how many times has your zip been down or you've walked around with your skirt tucked into your pants!?). Sad that it's not just a talent comtest anymore.

She seems like a lovely down to earth lady and I hope she achieves all she wants to. I can't judge her musically but I think she achieved fame mainly because she exceeded all expectations, rather than because of her natural talent or stage presence.

Child stars have a habit of falling to earth sooner or later. I remember idolising Lena Zavaroni when I was 10 - she was the same age as me and I dreamed of being her - she toured Zimbabwe and I saw her perform live. I was really sad when I heard she had died. Even before the You Tube age she was a casualty of hype and early fame. I think child "stars" and any other vulnerable people shoud be protected from the pressure until they are obviously ready to cope with it.

BD - you're obviously set for stardom. Can I be your agent? :thumbs:

K x

Edited by Kathryn