Sign in to follow this  
morgan and alexandra

DLA

Hi everyone

Our DD was diagnosed with ASD in May this year and have finally got round to applying for DLA. So far we havent applied as I thought it would be better to wait for dx. Just wondering if u think it is likely that DD will be entitled to it and how does the appeal process work if she doesnt get it. Ive heard that people usually get turned down for DLA the 1st time they apply.

Thanks

Helen

Yep, it is usual to be turned down on the first application, it is only on appeal things happen. I am on DLA for debilitating depression and ptsd issues, but am wondering now, since I have official diagnosis of asd, should I inform them, will it make a difference, or just not bother about it.

Just to give you hope - I applied for DLA 4 months after my daughter's diagnosis with AS at the age of 15 and she got it first time. Good luck. There are guides to filling in the form (have a look for links in Help and Advice). Take your time with it and don't be daunted by the size of the thing!

K x

Hi,

I applied a few months ago, without a diagnosis, and we were awarded middle rate care straight away. I have not gone to appeal for mobility, as G is rarely that bad walking around, and he's only 5, so he would need alot of watching anyway. If he's still as yonderly in 3 years when we re-apply, I'll definately be asking for mobility as well!

I used the guidelines from cerebra to help me fill in the form, which are very thorough. I printed off the booklet and had it with me as I worked through the form.

I also made appointments to talk to my GP and school about it, so they knew what I was applying for and why, and would be able to back me up when they were asked for their opinion.

I hope this link works...it should send you to the Cerebra guide!

http://www.cerebra.org.uk/parent_support/DLA_guide.htm

Good Luck. :)

Hi

I applied for DLA for my son before he was diagnosed, so whilst a diagnosis can help, it's not essential. It was awarded upon first application. It's worth seeking assistance on filling it out eg for CAB. Not sure if I can put charity website links on here, but there are various websites which give advice on how to fill the form out - there are key components eg sleep is a big one. Feel free to PM me and I can email you the links.

It's also worth using reports from eg school, Paeds, etc which will support your application. It's also worth asking eg school HT if s/he would be willing to endorse an application/be used as a contact.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Our local CAB has an advisor dedicated to assisting people filling in forms, and know how to word things and fill them in properly. If we decide to apply for DLA then I would definately go there for expert help.

Becky

Thank you, I must admit I found the forms daunting, my step dad helped me fill them out as his son needed DLA. I just not confident about it all as until we moved here nobody believed us about DD. Thankfully her new school have helped a lot towards her dx and have been really supportive. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks again

Hi Just wanted to recommend the NAS welfare rights service, they help via phone and email and can send you attatchments spersific to the information you require, also anyone having difficulties with the mobility componant NAS have full explanations on this too, so please do look at the mobility needs too.

JsMumxxxx

We got middle rate care and lower rate mobility, on first application.

I filled in the form on line, I found this much easier, once you stare you can save the form and have a few weeks to fill it in at your own time, and go back over what you have already done and change it. What I did was fill a bit in then go back to it a few days later when I had had time to think about it then edit it and re edit it until I thought it was right.

The payment are backdated to when you first stare doing the form.

But what ever, go for it.

I know a lot of people have a struggle with DLA. I was just going to let you know that DD was rewarded High Rate Care and Low Rate Mobility on the first attempt. DD is still awaiting DX. Good luck. The payment has made a huge change in DD's life as we can now afford things that were desperately needed and also small things like Disabled Riding Lessons that make such a huge difference. If you are not successfull be sure and appeal. It appears most are successful on appeal. -Skye

We got middle rate care and lower rate mobility, on first application.

I filled in the form on line, I found this much easier, once you stare you can save the form and have a few weeks to fill it in at your own time, and go back over what you have already done and change it. What I did was fill a bit in then go back to it a few days later when I had had time to think about it then edit it and re edit it until I thought it was right.

The payment are backdated to when you first stare doing the form.

But what ever, go for it.

I didn't know you could fill in on-line, is there a link?

Great News

Have to say that was very quick too, mine took a lot longer than yours. wow

I also filled out mine online, though I did print them out and sent them so I could add on additional notes, and sign date and then do registered postal delivery.

Online is an excellent tool to help you fill in the forms, neater than my handwriting and you can fit in a lot more, also you can copy and paste were relivant.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum