Athena

Ed Psych assessment = huge difference between verbal and performance IQ

Independent Ed Psych assessment has reported there is a huge difference between DD's verbal IQ which is high, and her performance IQ which is below average.

Can anyone explain what this means? I was also told that she had a "spiky" profile.

Is this part of her ASD?

The LEA's brief report had shown she had an average verbal IQ and classified hear as having MLD given her overall results.

Does anyone else have a similar result?

Normally on an IQ test, people perform at around the same level in all areas. A "spiky" IQ profile basically means that she performs highly in some areas, and poorly in others, which is typical in ASD.

Js was the other way round, he has a spiky profile, what matters is they can pin point the impairments and show where he/she is more able, I am relieved your DD has had a ed psych private assessment.

JsMumxxx

Yes, it was so much more thorough and in-depth than the LEA one. Just trying to understand what it all means and the implications for DD.

Yes, it was so much more thorough and in-depth than the LEA one. Just trying to understand what it all means and the implications for DD.

If you are not completly sure on what the report means i would phone and speak to the ED PSY im sure he/she would be happy to help. After all the reports cost enough. They should be able to go through all the implications with you and advise you on the help that your child needs.

Yes, guess I should ask, I'm just worried that I will get charged if I talk to her for too long! :o

A significant discrepancy between verbal and performance IQ is common in ASD, I believe, with verbal IQ usally higher. Performance IQ measures non -verbal, practical skills, e.g. involving spatial awareness.

My daughter had a spiky profile like this - her performance IQ test results were on the 5th percentile and the verbal IQ results were off the top end of the scale, which made her overall IQ score a bit meaningless.

I agree with Julie: ask the EP to explain the results to you: she's in the best position to explain what it means for your daughter.

K x

My son's results were the other way round too. Ie. very poor verbal scores and very high performance scores. So I would definately speak with the Ed Psych to see what they feel this 'means' and if it is typical of an ASD, and what if any other assessments they would recommend.

There is also something called a Non Verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD). I don't know much about it, but you could have a look at it and mention it to the EP as well.

I would have also thought that performance in verbal assessments depends very much on 'what' you are assessing. Some with AS may do very well. However I would have thought that if the assessments were looking at literal interpretation of language, or social use of language, then their scores would presumably go down.

Found the info below about NVLD.

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities

By Terri Mauro, About.com

See More About:

• nld

• learning disabilities

• autism

• asperger syndrome

• getting a diagnosis

Definition:

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities (NLD) are diagnosed in children who may show very impressive verbal, reading, spelling and rote memory skills but very weak motor, social, sensory, and visual-spatial abilities. NLD is a neurological disorder overlapping with and possibly occupying the same end of the autism spectrum as Asperger Syndrome.

Get more information.

Also Known As: Nonverbal Learning Disorder Syndrome, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Nonverbal Learning Disability, NLD, NVLD

Alternate Spellings: Non-Verbal Learning Disorder, Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities

What Is NLD?

NLD is a neurological disorder which originates in the right hemisphere of the brain. Reception of nonverbal or performance-based information governed by this hemisphere is impaired in varying degrees, causing problems with visual-spatial, intuitive, organizational, evaluative, and holistic processing functions.

The syndrome of Nonverbal Learning Disorders (NLD) consists of specific assets and deficits.

The assets include:

• Early speech and vocabulary development

• Remarkable rote memory skills

• Attention to detail

• Early development of reading skills and excellent spelling skills

• Eloquent verbal ability

• Strong auditory retention

The three categories of deficits are:

• Motoric: lack of coordination, problems with balance and graphomotor skills

• Visual-spatial-organizational: lack of image, poor visual recall, faulty spatial perception, and difficulty with spatial relations

• Social: inability to comprehend nonverbal communication, difficulty adjusting to transitions and novel situations, and deficits in social judgment

People with NLD can be affected in varied levels of severity in each of the categories, so that each person with NLD presents a unique clinical, behavioral, and educational picture. People with NLD can be helped by many forms of therapy, but their world is filled with confusing sensory stimuli. For some, their physical endurance is challenged by generally low muscle tone. Some need support throughout life with cognitive and organizational skills, motor skill development, pragmatics and social skills.

Children with NLD have advanced verbal and auditory memory. Some are precocious readers with advanced vocabularies. Nevertheless, NLD is a problem of language. People with NLD have rote language skills but when it comes to functional daily use of language, they have difficulties with tone of voice, inference, written expression, facial expression, gestures, and other areas of pragmatic speech.

People with NLD have difficulty understanding patterns and lining up columns of numbers. Spoken instructions can be troublesome due to difficulty picturing consecutive directions and poor visual memory. NLD can also affect coordination, causing clumsiness, poor balance and a tendency to fall. Many people with NLD have poor safety judgment.

We are not sure what causes NLD, but we know that the earlier the intervention, the better the prognosis.

I've also found the following about hyperlexia, which seems to be tying it all in together a bit more. It is a bit complicated, but it might explain something better, or give you ideas of what questions to ask. Hope I'm not bamboozling you!!!

I tried to paste it, but it mixed it up. So the web page is www.hyperlexia.org/aha_winter9697.html

On the subject of NLD/NVLD, I came across information on this way back when we were searching for reasons for my daughter's difficulties. She fitted the profile so precisely that I gasped with shock. I was convinced that NLD was the right label for her that I printed off all the information I could find and gave it to her teachers. We also bought books on the subject and read them avidly.

I gradually realised that this is not really recognised in the UK as a separate syndrome and therefore this label wasn't going to get us very much help. It also gradually occurred to me that there is little difference, if any, between NVLD and Asperger syndrome, they are both at the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum. Pursuing NLD led us down a pointless path which wasted valuable time in getting the correct AS diagnosis. So although NLD is intereting to read about, I wouldn't recommend any parent goes down this route - unless they live in the US.

Sorry, Athena, for this slight diversion!

K x

Hi.I know that Ben also had a very unusual profile.I asked the EP to explain the information in more detail.If the results are not within norms it can make a huge difference in ability to produce work and on results of assessments.For example Ben has a very slow processing ability in some tasks.If the EP had allowed the recognised time limits Ben would have scored very low.When he was allowed adequate time he demostrated that he is actually able to do the given tasks he just cannot do them at speed.

When Ben was originally picked up as having SEN it was thought that he had significant difficulties with literacy.He was behing his peers in KS1 SATS.However he simply could not write more than a few words.However on detailed assessment and on obtaining the use of ICT it turned out Ben is actually very able indeed.He cannot write at anywhere near the speed he types.However he ceratainly has no difficulties in litercy as such.This would never have been recognised without detailed EP assessments.

The EP did extra assessments other than the usual ones because it was obvious that Ben has a highly unusual profile.

I think it is certainly worth pushing for detailed information.

In practice there is a very big difference between the types of support a child with MLD might need compared with the support a child with a spiky profile might need.

A child with MLD would probably be behind and need significant support in all areas.Although progress could be made with support I would expect the child to continue to have significant difficulties in all areas.

A child with a Spiky profile [specific Learning Difficulties perhaps :unsure: I think that is what is documented on Ben's Statement for AS/dyspraxia] might make a lot of progress and be very able in some areas with appropraite support.If a child is intelligent but cannot produce work within their ability that can lead to frustration and behaviour problems due to frustration.

Hi.Just wondering.Was the LEA report done following detailed EP assessments ?

If you have an LEA report it might be worth asking the LEA EP about the discrepancy.At least it won't cost anything. :whistle:

I phoned regarding a very similar issue for clarrification when I was attempting to sort out provision for secondary school.

It is often possible to contact the EP through the LEA switchboard.We have found that the EP understood Ben's needs better than anyone else and she was very supportive at reviews because she understood issues.

I know there is alot of 'info' out there, that sometimes is not recognised in the UK, or not within some LEAs. The point I was trying to get at, is the huge difference there is between a child that scores high for verbal assessments and low on performance ones, as opposed to another child who is totally the opposite. That is surely going to mean that different approaches are used as the child has different strengths and weaknesses. For example, my son does benefit from seeing things reinforced visually. Someone with a high verbal understanding and poor visual/spatial skills might do better with it printed out list rather than lessons being reinforced in picture terms that they might not be able to understand as well. These differences are very important because mainstream (and even ASD specific), do tend to go with the most commonly used supports which are sometimes not relevant to all the children. That might be even more so for a mainstream school that has no experience of expertise behind them. Not all children with an ASD are visual thinkers.

Interestingly they all 'fall on the spectrum, or overlap' etc.

And it is worth remembering that even those that score highly on language/verbal assessments may still have language difficulties eg. with literal interpretation, semantics or pragmatics and still struggle with the social side of things.

My son, also does not seem to 'fit' any particular box. His language processing and auditory processing difficulties are significant. Therefore he has a diagnosis of an ASD. Yet he desires to join in and play with others, which I was told was unusual for someone considered 'autistic' as opposed to 'AS'. I've been told so many things over the years it all becomes a blurr. :rolleyes:

A large discrepancy between verbal and performance IQ is indicative of an underlying specific learning difficulty.

The verbal score reflects competence in using language to code, comprehend, store information about, and generally relate to the environment.

The performance score reflects competence in coordination of hands and eyes for comprehending, organising and manipulating objects/visual information in the environment.

Obviously, ideally, the report should be utilised by teaching staff to play to your DD's strength (verbal) above other methods.

Independent Ed Psych assessment has reported there is a huge difference between DD's verbal IQ which is high, and her performance IQ which is below average.

Can anyone explain what this means? I was also told that she had a "spiky" profile.

Is this part of her ASD?

The LEA's brief report had shown she had an average verbal IQ and classified hear as having MLD given her overall results.

Does anyone else have a similar result?

It means although she is very intelligent her apparent ability and her actual ability are very different. In other words her written abilities and her verbal abilities can be very different. i have been assessed as having the same problems myself. i feel like a medium functioning autistic when im supposed to be a mild asperger.

So she can tell you how to work the tv for example but she cannot look up how to change channels. So it sounds like she learns better by doing something rather than by writing about it. This is called kinaesthetic learning. im guessing i will have a similar profile to your daughter. Was she off the scale on block reasoning for example?

As for whether its part of her ASD thats a very grey area to work out. i was told in one assessment that my difficulties were because of my aspergers but in another independently different assessment i was told "you have mild compensatory dyslexia".

By MLD do you mean mild or do you mean moderate?

Alexis

It means although she is very intelligent her apparent ability and her actual ability are very different. In other words her written abilities and her verbal abilities can be very different. i have been assessed as having the same problems myself. i feel like a medium functioning autistic when im supposed to be a mild asperger.

So she can tell you how to work the tv for example but she cannot look up how to change channels. So it sounds like she learns better by doing something rather than by writing about it. This is called kinaesthetic learning. im guessing i will have a similar profile to your daughter. Was she off the scale on block reasoning for example?

As for whether its part of her ASD thats a very grey area to work out. i was told in one assessment that my difficulties were because of my aspergers but in another independently different assessment i was told "you have mild compensatory dyslexia".

By MLD do you mean mild or do you mean moderate?

Alexis

im sorry to impose on your reply, but what you have discribed with the tv is how things are for my dd3, the EDPSY thinks she has MLD but i think its a mistake. she has had a lot of tests and we are waiting for the results if you dont mind could you explain a little more about the difficulties you have. All but 1 of my dd3 tests were on the 1st centile but im sure she is more able than the tests show.

A large discrepancy between verbal and performance IQ is indicative of an underlying specific learning difficulty.

The verbal score reflects competence in using language to code, comprehend, store information about, and generally relate to the environment.

The performance score reflects competence in coordination of hands and eyes for comprehending, organising and manipulating objects/visual information in the environment.

Obviously, ideally, the report should be utilised by teaching staff to play to your DD's strength (verbal) above other methods.

Thanks, thats helped me to understand the differences between the 2.

Alexis

Thank you for your replies, really interesting information! The Independent Ed Psych also identified that DD has severe dyslexia, so although she has a high verbal IQ, she cannot read or write.

By MLD I was told Moderate Learning Difficulties.

I will go and have a little read......

A

Thank you for your replies, really interesting information! The Independent Ed Psych also identified that DD has severe dyslexia, so although she has a high verbal IQ, she cannot read or write.

By MLD I was told Moderate Learning Difficulties.

I will go and have a little read......

A

If she has severe dyslexia then she can not have moderate learning difficulties, Dyslexia is average to high average intelligence, Dyslexia comes under the term Spersific Learning Difficulties it maybe a very good idea to get a speech and lanugae assessment done next as there is a possiblity with Samantic Pragmatic Language disorder.

My son had been assessed as having severe dyslexia well before he was officially dx last year with Dyslexia, some ed pychs even suggest its pointless stating it in a statement because it wont produce any further support, but Js in his statement and comes with quite a bit support and stratagies in place.

J can still not read and write though he is making a lot of progress at special school, his dyslexia effects other co morbids he has, it is absaloutly peritif that you get it added into her statement and extra support in place.

For further assessments/information and tuition Dyslexia Action is where J orignally recieved support and advice, with out there help he wouldnt of got the dx he now has.

Good Luck.

JsMumxxx

On the subject of NLD/NVLD, I came across information on this way back when we were searching for reasons for my daughter's difficulties. She fitted the profile so precisely that I gasped with shock. I was convinced that NLD was the right label for her that I printed off all the information I could find and gave it to her teachers. We also bought books on the subject and read them avidly.

I gradually realised that this is not really recognised in the UK as a separate syndrome and therefore this label wasn't going to get us very much help. It also gradually occurred to me that there is little difference, if any, between NVLD and Asperger syndrome, they are both at the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum. Pursuing NLD led us down a pointless path which wasted valuable time in getting the correct AS diagnosis. So although NLD is intereting to read about, I wouldn't recommend any parent goes down this route - unless they live in the US.

Sorry, Athena, for this slight diversion!

K x

ive met only 1 person with NVLD and i knew she would feel accepted in the autistic community. She loves it there and at the retreats that i encouraged her to attend yearly.

Alexis

Hi.I know that Ben also had a very unusual profile.I asked the EP to explain the information in more detail.If the results are not within norms it can make a huge difference in ability to produce work and on results of assessments. For example Ben has a very slow processing ability in some tasks.If the EP had allowed the recognised time limits Ben would have scored very low.When he was allowed adequate time he demonstrated that he is actually able to do the given tasks he just cannot do them at speed.

This problem in me means i need the extra time in exams. i can manage ok with the coursework provided i can do it at home away from distractions.

When Ben was originally picked up as having SEN it was thought that he had significant difficulties with literacy. He was behind his peers in KS1 SATS. However he simply could not write more than a few words. However on detailed assessment and on obtaining the use of ICT it turned out Ben is actually very able indeed. He cannot write at anywhere near the speed he types. However he certainly has no difficulties in literacy as such. This would never have been recognised without detailed EP assessments.

Same for me as well. i can type very fast but writing is spidery, painful and very slow. i got exhausted according to one assessment during my 1 minute writing test in 2000. This was under the worst lighting possible for me and so was a very fair test. "her speed became slow as the effort of writing exhausted her" was written on that test. This got me access to a PC as well in exams, but not until i was 20! i was fortunate to meet the right sort of tutor who referred me for educational psychology assessments. Although i couldnt learn the structured way of touch typing i can touch type now, i had to learn when being constantly given white lettered keyboards which im unable to read!

The EP did extra assessments other than the usual ones because it was obvious that Ben has a highly unusual profile.

I think it is certainly worth pushing for detailed information.

In practice there is a very big difference between the types of support a child with MLD might need compared with the support a child with a spiky profile might need. A child with MLD would probably be behind and need significant support in all areas.Although progress could be made with support I would expect the child to continue to have significant difficulties in all areas.

Im now presuming that MLD = moderate learning difficulties? That is very scary and i wonder how i managed to achieve my 7 gcses, i got 3 bs, 4 cs and 2 ds all on adrenaline since the half inderal i was on way making me hyper! This was pre diagnosis with the distractions of papers moving around and other peoples breathing plus the clock and feeling watched at the same time. i also got a few modules in my computing course passed before my needs were started to be recognised. No wonder ive had problems and feel like a moderate functioning autistic most of the time! The dots are starting to join up.

A child with a Spiky profile [specific Learning Difficulties perhaps :unsure: I think that is what is documented on Ben's Statement for AS/dyspraxia] might make a lot of progress and be very able in some areas with appropriate support. If a child is intelligent but cannot produce work within their ability that can lead to frustration and behaviour problems due to frustration.

Agreed and ive had plenty of low self esteem induced behavioural issues due to my unrecognised needs in the past. i think im settling down now due to being gluten, dairy, msg, aspartame, benzoate free taking supplements and reading lots about my disabilities. i want my story to show schools that just because a kid is verbal and appears OK doesn't mean they should be labelled as a problem child!

Alexis

I have always thought that learning difficulties were when a child had a lower cognitive ability and would give the same level of performance across the set of skills needed. But that basically they learnt in the same way, but alot slower.

A spikey profile was explained to me as being more of a pointer towards 'disorder' or 'specific difficulty' that was not associated with a lower cognitive ability, and that their was a big difference between the two, especially when it comes to schooling placements and teaching approaches etc. For example I would see Dyslexia as a specific learning difficulty and therefore the child's inability or difficulty with reading/writing is not due to cognitive ability but specific learning difficulty.

Is that how others see it?

I have always thought that learning difficulties were when a child had a lower cognitive ability and would give the same level of performance across the set of skills needed. But that basically they learnt in the same way, but alot slower.

Thats a term often used for "globally learning disabled" folk.

A spikey profile was explained to me as being more of a pointer towards 'disorder' or 'specific difficulty' that was not associated with a lower cognitive ability, and that their was a big difference between the two, especially when it comes to schooling placements and teaching approaches etc. For example I would see Dyslexia as a specific learning difficulty and therefore the child's inability or difficulty with reading/writing is not due to cognitive ability but specific learning difficulty.

Is that how others see it?

i have problems distinguishing "difficulty" from "disability" using your context. Dyslexia can help low IQ as well as higher IQ folk though.

im sorry to impose on your reply, but what you have discribed with the tv is how things are for my dd3, the EDPSY thinks she has MLD but i think its a mistake. she has had a lot of tests and we are waiting for the results if you dont mind could you explain a little more about the difficulties you have. All but 1 of my dd3 tests were on the 1st centile but im sure she is more able than the tests show.

Sure, lets hope it works this time!

1, Accessing my memory unless something is written or asked in a particular way is hard for me. This caused major problems with certain types of exams in school.

2, giving an example of something im attempting to explain is really difficult for me to do.

3, watching and listening (ie using multi sensory modalities) to directions is almost impossible. i can sometimes close my eyes and give accurate descriptions of where to go when directing others. It didnt affect me as much in foreign languages classes as it did in english classes.

4, when asked what i did at school during the day i would be able to recall physical activities better than written subjects.

5, a tendency to get opposites muddled up so if im early i might say "your early" (like i did with a bus driver)

6, a tendency to remember the original plan better than the new plan even if that was hours ago that we discussed meeting at 2 in Leicester Sq.

7, a tendency to become easily distracted by sensory issues as they appear louder to me than more relevant information (auditory discrimination deficit)

8, a tendency to get lost in detail especially if it is inaccurate so a person saying "my hands hurt" when they mean "my wrists hurt" and then i cant hear the rest of the conversation.

9, preferring email and recordable methods of communication to the spoken word (memory aid)

10, getting easily frustrated by "my apparent lack of achievement" (one ed psych report mentioned)

11, can recite song names and artists easier than their era

HTH

Alexis (PS feel free to ask more specific questions)

Trekster: some things you mention my son is the same as well.

Ie. multi tasking from a sensory point of view, he finds difficult. Eg. if you ask him to look at you whilst you tell him something, chances are that he won't hear it because he can 'look' or 'listen', but not both together. When he tries to tell me something he diverts his eyes so that he can concentrate on what he wants to say. He doesn't have a problem with eye to eye gaze otherwise.

Retrieving information from memory: his SALT says his information storage is not well organised because he also has auditory discrimination difficulties - so information is not always stored in a systematic way, or even accurate way so that it is easy to find and retrieve. For example he hears 'nap' instead of 'map', and therefore the word is stored incorrectly. So she is using 'networking' where new words or concepts are visually linked to similar things and are explained to him so that he stores it better. They also do alot of memory retrieval work and games.

When background sensory stuff is at the forefront, can you screen it out? If so does it mean you effectively screen everything out? I ask because my son used to tell me to 'keep saying my name to help me turn my ears on', and that if he didn't like something he would 'turn his ears off'. I also have sensory issues and often find that I have become deaf to my surroundings. It is usually at the point where I hear my husband say "you haven't heard anything i've said have you?", that I tune back in again. I don't know how or why it happens, but if happens often with my husband, and I've no idea how often I do it with other people or in other situations.

Trekster: some things you mention my son is the same as well.

Ie. multi tasking from a sensory point of view, he finds difficult. Eg. if you ask him to look at you whilst you tell him something, chances are that he won't hear it because he can 'look' or 'listen', but not both together. When he tries to tell me something he diverts his eyes so that he can concentrate on what he wants to say. He doesn't have a problem with eye to eye gaze otherwise.

This is me during one of my sensory overloaded days. Sometimes i can manage it but only for a short space of time. Certain people i will force myself to look at eg police or security so they dont get the wrong idea, others it depends on the subject matter and environment. i think my eye contact was poor at my latest social group due to extreme anxiety over various things. Also it was better during a star trek discussion for example than a political one. i like to discuss politics but this subject was particularly bothersome to me (french ministers comments).

Retrieving information from memory: his SALT says his information storage is not well organised because he also has auditory discrimination difficulties - so information is not always stored in a systematic way, or even accurate way so that it is easy to find and retrieve. For example he hears 'nap' instead of 'map', and therefore the word is stored incorrectly. So she is using 'networking' where new words or concepts are visually linked to similar things and are explained to him so that he stores it better. They also do alot of memory retrieval work and games.

Ah so thats why my brain remembers the opposite to what people tell me? :unsure: i definitely have auditory discrimination difficulties. At one point wondered whether testing for "central auditory processing disorder" was on the cards. i need people to use the right trigger words in order for me to remember. It is even more annoying when things i dont want to remember come up due to the wrong trigger words. A subject about football, can lead to turkey holiday which leads to Istanbul, which leads to memories of my nasty ex for example. We saw a Liverpool match, held in Istanbul together at his house and he upset me afterwards.

When background sensory stuff is at the forefront, can you screen it out?

If im using vision therapy at the time it's easier. i am going to get myself sorted out in Gloucester asap since its starting to build up again. If other sensory stuff is bothering me (including internal sensory needs such as hunger, need loo, cold, tired, anxious etc) then it can make the background screening out harder. Recognising when my ears need syringing as i can literally hear louder sounds when they are blocked (ear drum moving distracts me) or being assertive enough to say "just going to the ladies back in a bit" then walking off and ignoring what others tell me, help with this background sensory stuff. It can depend what the sensory stuff is, i tend to move away from the sensory stuff or move the sensory stuff away from me when i can.

If so does it mean you effectively screen everything out?

Only when i start to overload or shutdown. If im going into meltdown mode then my hearing becomes worse and i mishear ten times worse than before. If im shutting down then even a loud noise is unlikely to startle me out of it!

I ask because my son used to tell me to 'keep saying my name to help me turn my ears on', and that if he didn't like something he would 'turn his ears off'. I also have sensory issues and often find that I have become deaf to my surroundings. It is usually at the point where I hear my husband say "you haven't heard anything i've said have you?", that I tune back in again. I don't know how or why it happens, but if happens often with my husband, and I've no idea how often I do it with other people or in other situations.

Your son is describing sensory overload to you as it affects him. i wish i could choose to turn my ears off but i am unable to ignore anything. It happens as its a sign that your brain cannot cope with the amount of sensory input thrust upon him at the time. When i get upset i tend to forget subjects or conversations experiences with people. A meltdown leads to a 3 day previous memory wipe. You could call it an autistic seizure and your shutting out can be another way of this happening.

We respond to background information in different ways. i tend to get hyperverbal to background sounds, my mum gets much louder, other friends of mine freeze and cannot move. Sometimes you freeze one minute then come out of it only to meltdown the next. i only know 1 person who this has happened to though.

Alexis

My son's memory is also triggered by certain words. He must have vast amounts of 'information' stored in his memory. Sometimes if we are talking about something he will began telling us something. Eg. once we mentioned going to visit a local tourist attraction - a cave. My son started giving me information about a different cave - something he had seen and heard on TV. And it is the 'way it is delivered', that really as if a button on a recording machine has been pressed. Then afterwards he looks surprised at himself as if he too wonders 'where did that come from'.

And as you mentioned about how your thoughts are 'linked'. Your information maybe stored and linked by 'experience' rather than 'information'. So you've linked experience (emotions) to the item to help remember it, but that means that lots of irrelevant stuff is retrieved by a trigger word and lots of relevent information cannot be accessed because it is filed somewhere else.

I've always been interested in how my son makes links and connections because whatever causes that does have quite significant cognitive implications because information retrieval is going to be completely different.

Sure, lets hope it works this time!

1, Accessing my memory unless something is written or asked in a particular way is hard for me. This caused major problems with certain types of exams in school.

2, giving an example of something im attempting to explain is really difficult for me to do.

3, watching and listening (ie using multi sensory modalities) to directions is almost impossible. i can sometimes close my eyes and give accurate descriptions of where to go when directing others. It didnt affect me as much in foreign languages classes as it did in english classes.

4, when asked what i did at school during the day i would be able to recall physical activities better than written subjects.

5, a tendency to get opposites muddled up so if im early i might say "your early" (like i did with a bus driver)

6, a tendency to remember the original plan better than the new plan even if that was hours ago that we discussed meeting at 2 in Leicester Sq.

7, a tendency to become easily distracted by sensory issues as they appear louder to me than more relevant information (auditory discrimination deficit)

8, a tendency to get lost in detail especially if it is inaccurate so a person saying "my hands hurt" when they mean "my wrists hurt" and then i cant hear the rest of the conversation.

9, preferring email and recordable methods of communication to the spoken word (memory aid)

10, getting easily frustrated by "my apparent lack of achievement" (one ed psych report mentioned)

11, can recite song names and artists easier than their era

HTH

Alexis (PS feel free to ask more specific questions)

thank you so much for sharring your personal difficulities with me, it has helped a little i am going to organize my dd2 difficulties in the same way as above, im sure that may help us all to understand her better.