JsMum

VHS VIDEO Players and VHS vidio

Im asking because lately I purchased a VHS Video for 25p in a charity shop, last week I got fast and furious with its clinfilm still on for 50p and the other day there was a VHS Video player for £7!

I have a combi vhs video and dvd player so I still use both, a few weeks ago I saw a tip with vhs paraphanalia and couldnt believe people are actually binning them!

I know were evolving all the time and we have now gone from vhs to dvd to blue ray to now download and sky movies but really do we really need to be getting rid of perfectly working equiptment, anyway Im watching the disney fantasia tonight as Ive never watched it as J is into more teenage stuff now.

Anyway do you still have a vhs still?

whats your best bargain?

JsMumxxxx

Edited by JsMum

Interesting that you can still find videos in charity shops, Jsmum. We still have VHS recorder and a huge collection of videos, which I'm trying to reduce gradually. I was taking them to the local charity shops but now most of them round here have notices up saying they don't accept videos. What are we supposed to do with them??

K x

We've got a DVD/video recorder combo and just used the video to tape off the telly things we wanted to watch later. It was very useful, 'cos some things that Jay wanted to watch were on late so we'd tape them for him. Two weeks ago, the video player broke and so now we can only play dvds. We're really upset 'cos Jay would love to watch that 'Life' programme that is on BBC but it's not a good time so he's having to miss it and I don't seem to be able to find many video players in the shops, not that we can afford a new one anyway, so we're lost without our video recorder. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Kathryn most if not all of our areas charity shops are still selling/taking videos at the moment. Not sure how much longer for though.

There are games shops which will take some off of your hands too but not sure about your area.

I still have a video, but dont really use it anymore to be honest.

Kathryn if there kids disneys the local childrens hospital may be interested or a local hospice, yes there is still plenty of charity shops selling vhs here.

sorry to hear of your beaking down oxgirl, hope you find one in a charity shop or something soon, what about a friend or someone, what channel is it on, if its bbc they have iplayer on the internet.

JsMumxxx

I still have and use my VHS player, although I can't remember when I last recorded anything, I just use it to watch my old videos. Many of my 'comfort' programmes are only on video, and some are wearing out, I don't know what I'll do with the ones that aren't available on DVD when they do wear out or my VHS player gives up. My charity shops all have videos and they're really cheap so I do look occasionally for replacements.

We've got a DVD/video recorder combo and just used the video to tape off the telly things we wanted to watch later. It was very useful, 'cos some things that Jay wanted to watch were on late so we'd tape them for him. Two weeks ago, the video player broke and so now we can only play dvds. We're really upset 'cos Jay would love to watch that 'Life' programme that is on BBC but it's not a good time so he's having to miss it and I don't seem to be able to find many video players in the shops, not that we can afford a new one anyway, so we're lost without our video recorder. :tearful:

Have you tried things like BBC iPlayer? It's because of things like this that I don't record anymore. The only problem is that they're not available forever, but with a popular series like Life, they often make them all available for an extended period.

Link to Life on iPlayer - here is a link to the first episode and if you scroll down you can click on the others too. :)

Yes we still use ours regularly - we have some of my eldest daughters videos - Disney etc and they've been dug out now for my littlest one who's 6. We'd taken a load to the car booty a while ago and any leftover the charity shop took.

Take care,

Jb

we still have a VHS player, but i can't use it without unplugging the DVD player and Wii so it doesn't get used. our biggest issue is all our Disney films are on video, and they cost a fortune to replace onto DVD. all our Disney videos are pretty stretched out anyway, as they are all from when i was little about a million years ago

we still have a VHS player, but i can't use it without unplugging the DVD player and Wii so it doesn't get used. our biggest issue is all our Disney films are on video, and they cost a fortune to replace onto DVD. all our Disney videos are pretty stretched out anyway, as they are all from when i was little about a million years ago

Do you plug them in using SCART sockets? If so you can buy a really cheap SCART extension cable (I got one because there's only one SCART hole in my really old very unflat screen TV :rolleyes:) from places like Argos and have them all plugged in and just press a button to switch between the inputs.

Do you plug them in using SCART sockets? If so you can buy a really cheap SCART extension cable (I got one because there's only one SCART hole in my really old very unflat screen TV :rolleyes:) from places like Argos and have them all plugged in and just press a button to switch between the inputs.

I've got one of those - it's a little box with 3 scart inputs and switches to flick over.

Take care,

Jb

The problem with video recorders is that they are too clunky. You will understand if you watch the way a VHS machine loads a cassette then pulls out the tape and wraps it around the heads. Lots and lots of moving parts. If you are too lazy or lack courage to see for yourself with a real machine then demos are available on YouTube. Even professional video tape formats such as U-Matic or Betacam are no longer used because their machines are just as clunky as VHS.

The day will probably come when people will look back at video tape technology with nostalgia. I still have a few working VHS and Betamax machines that I use to transfer old video material to the digital age.

oooh, i wondered about them. our very new, very flat screen TV only has one SCART hole, so your tv doesn't need the inferiority complex. and our also very new sky+ box is also rather clunky, as is our DVD player. but i think a cheap SCART adapter is going to be cheaper than replacing all the videos i now realise my mother told me she took to the charity shop today. d'oh! well, i can only hope she was referring to my complete VHS collection of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and not the bags of Disney cos that would be unfortunate timing.

Money is not as freely available as I would like right now ( :crying: ), so yes VHS (cheap ones from the supermarket). A hard-disk video recorder will be on the shopping list when things get better, though.

We have a DVD player but can't record on it so we still need our VCR to record TV programmes.

By the way, I've got a few videos which I'd really like to transfer to DVD - does anyone know how and where can I get this done, and the likely cost? They are mainly recordings of performances family members have done, so they have personal value and I want to ensure that I can keep them and watch them long after VCR's are obsolete.

K x

Im asking because lately I purchased a VHS Video for 25p in a charity shop, last week I got fast and furious with its clinfilm still on for 50p and the other day there was a VHS Video player for £7!

I have a combi vhs video and dvd player so I still use both, a few weeks ago I saw a tip with vhs paraphanalia and couldnt believe people are actually binning them!

I know were evolving all the time and we have now gone from vhs to dvd to blue ray to now download and sky movies but really do we really need to be getting rid of perfectly working equiptment, anyway Im watching the disney fantasia tonight as Ive never watched it as J is into more teenage stuff now.

Anyway do you still have a vhs still?

whats your best bargain?

JsMumxxxx

Yes we have and use videos! It's great for picking up cheapies in charity shops, and a good way of showing my kids programmes/films I loved as a youngster (eg Superted).

I love Fantasia.

We recently picked up the first part of Tenko on video for about 50p at a car boot sale. It was great, now we're looking for the rest of the series!

When they are so cheap you can watch them once or twice then take them back to the charity shop :clap:

PS: I hate DVDs when you have to stop watching for some reason and it can be so difficult to find the same place again

Edited by Mandapanda

We still have one, & JP has one in his room. He uses it to watch vids he's not yet got the DVD of. We haven't recorded anything on the VCR, or used it at all, since we got our digi box.

It does annoy me having to replace technology every few years.

We have a DVD player but can't record on it so we still need our VCR to record TV programmes.

By the way, I've got a few videos which I'd really like to transfer to DVD - does anyone know how and where can I get this done, and the likely cost? They are mainly recordings of performances family members have done, so they have personal value and I want to ensure that I can keep them and watch them long after VCR's are obsolete.

K x

a college in the information technology might do it for you if they have the equiptment, What about a photography store that format all sorts of tape onto dvd. Just sort of guessing really. you need a gadget wizard, what about maplin they might know of places too or the equiptment too.

JsMumxxxx

K x

Hi kathryn - If they're home movies just find anyone who's got a DVD recorder, connect the VCR to it and press 'play' on the VCR and 'Record' on the DVD (alternatively, if you've a friend who has a camcorder, you can probably do the same thing from VCR to the camcorder and then transfer from there onto a PC for burning as a DVD or SVCD - with the added advantage that you could re-edit if you wanted to and add transitions/scenes etc)

If they are prerecorded vids and have 'macrovision' encoding it won't work...

L&P

BD

Thanks BD,

They're not home movies but not commercial vids either. At the risk of making my family sound like a bunch of luvvies, :rolleyes: they are official recordings of shows we've been in: L's school concert, (very special as she sang a solo which opened the show. :wub: )a couple of O's drama club annual shows and something I did 10 years ago :o . They were all done before DVD's were in everyday use.

Someone has kindly given me a link to a high street chain that can do it, but it's quite expensive.

K x

There is a USB attachment that costs about £30 that allows analogue video to be recorded onto a PC hard drive. They can be used to transfer videos to DVD or record broadcast TV programmes. Most recent PCs have DVD recorders as standard.

Mel- have you tried putting a 'Wanted- VHS recorder' ad in your local Freecycle? I'm almost certain someone, somewhere, will have an old (working!) VCR that they would hive you, which is the whole point of Freecycle- no money changes hands!

Well guys my video player only played black and white lines last night, so either the heads needs cleaning or it is on its way out, dvd works fine, but cant believe the video isnt working very well after what Ive posted on here, oh well off to try and find a video heads cleaner kit, which you probably cant get anymore!

Oh well,

JsMumxxx

we do not have a VHs recorder any more - it died several years ago and seemed pointless to replace something we hadn't used in years!

We gave all our old VHS videos away on freecycle :) we gave a spare DVD player away on there too - you can get VHS players pretty much every week LOL

I got the vhs head cleaner yesterday from Maplin and popped it for 20 or so seconds and then played Anastasia and guess what, It worked woundefully again, so all it needed was a clean! phew, toutch wood it doesnt stop all together next time.

I really enjoyed the disney film anastasia, so glad I got to watch it, I can in a way see why we have gone to DVD because the light flicker is pretty bad on video, on DVD there isnt any, so understand that the picture quality is better.

Anyway both vhs and dvd are now working fine.

JsMumxxx