Paula

Work experience

My son started doing his work experiance last week at our local supermarket asda.........im dead dead proud of him.Hes walking the half mile to the supermarket everyday there and back..................without complaint............and im going with him so im doing a heck of a lot of walking because ive to take him come home and then return to fetch him home.............he goes from 9am to 4pm and his working in the fruit and veg and tin produce isles alternateing...........and hes realy realy enjoying it.................im so so proud of him and he looks great in his uniform.

You know what. the manager said hes a good worker..........i thought of course he is..............hes 16 in january and will be leaving school next year ...............you know for the first time in a long time im optimistick that hed be more than capable of holding down a little part time job..............he also starts his mock gcses this week...............

You know what hes doing ok for an aspie............im im dead dead proud of whats hes achieved...............onwards and upwards for him.

And a big big thankyou to ASDA for makeing him feel so welcome and all the folks hes working with and is teamed up with. :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Paula

Pleased to hear hes doing so well for himself.

Brilliant news, Paula. :thumbs:>:D<<'>

Jay did his w/e last week, at an aquarium centre. He spent hours feeding fish, picking snails out of tanks, cleaning algae off of glass and was in seventh heaven. :rolleyes:

~ Mel ~

:thumbs:

Thanks all................

When i joined the forum almost five years ago i could never have imagined how much he would come on .

It just goes to show things can improve and get better and never say never.

Great news!

It's really positive that he's been able to try out a realistic career for him too. Having a good report from the manager puts him in a good position if he applies for a job there in the future.

If he works hard and is good at his job, he will find employers are more willing to make adjustments for him and forgive him any parts of the job he is not so good in.

Fruit, veg and tins are really heavy work, I bet he is tired when he gets home!

Hes been acheing in the shoulders and kneck area..................hes six foot 3 so i dont think all the stooping over the lower shelves and stuff has helped but hes soildered on.Its his last day Thursday due to him haveing a mock examination at school on friday..............he attends a special school................im going to make sure i phone the store speak to the lady involved in his work experiance there and ask what there policy is on recruiting special needs folks ect......strike whilst the irons hot after all before i know it hell be either hunting for a job or going to college.

I think hed be better employed if possible rather than going to college............our local tech no longer offers extra support to special needs kids so they can do "normal" courses...........i know this because one of my freinds sons had to drop out when support was withdrawn..............lack of cash ect typical............all thats on offer is foundation course for kids with learning difficulties and to be blunt my son is too intelegent for that as its aimed at kids who cant read or write and he can .Also ive another friend whoes son had attended a special school all his school life as my son has who then entered college and found it hell due to class size and an enviroment that he wasnt used to he ended up dropping out asap and then took up a pt job and is much happier.Ill guess ill just have to watch the space.Put it like this im his mum and ill fight and fuss and push and get him to where he wants to be................its what we do ........... isnt it.

I think hed be better employed if possible rather than going to college............our local tech no longer offers extra support to special needs kids so they can do "normal" courses...........i know this because one of my freinds sons had to drop out when support was withdrawn..............lack of cash ect typical............all thats on offer is foundation course for kids with learning difficulties and to be blunt my son is too intelegent for that as its aimed at kids who cant read or write and he can .

Paula, we're having exacting the same struggle as you at the moment. Jay is too able for the foundation courses or the ASD unit attached to college here but, if he were to go to mainstream college, he'd just be wandering about on his own all day with no friends and no-one to talk to and no-where to turn. We've looked into residential college but he doesn't feel ready to cope with that so we're really stuffed. There just doesn't seem to be any placement that can offer him the support he needs at the level he needs. We're getting so stressed and desperate, we don't know where to turn. All the so-called 'experts' just shake their heads and no-one is helping us, and everyone we talk to tells us something different or is so vague as to be totally useless. We're really struggling and haven't a clue what we'll do next year. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Well im going to make a point of phoneing the asda store my son has been at these past two weeks and speak to the person involved with him............im going to ask what there policy is on takeing on special needs folks...............ive seen a few around the store so i know they employ them.............im then going to ask how old hes to be ............i think its 16 and take things from there.............

Would jay be interested in doing a e2e thing its a bit like the old fashioned youth training scheme.................thats another option for my son and they have a place near where i live......they kinda do some time in a college enviroment but its much smaller with fewer a lot fewer folks in the class our one only has 6 folks attending and they get them out on placement in a job a couple of times a week............

Would jay be interested in doing a e2e thing its a bit like the old fashioned youth training scheme.................thats another option for my son and they have a place near where i live......they kinda do some time in a college enviroment but its much smaller with fewer a lot fewer folks in the class our one only has 6 folks attending and they get them out on placement in a job a couple of times a week............

I've never heard of that scheme Paula, e2e is it?? Not sure if there is anything like that round here.

~ Mel ~

Only just found this - brilliant news Paula :thumbs:

JP started off working christmas at our local supermarket - that was what spurred us on to encourage him to do an apprenticeship.

Ask at youre local connexsions place the place that deals with young folks up to the age of 19 i think they should know about e2e............or entry to employment.................it isnt something thats just local its a national thing........they dont get paide a wage or anything but if they do it they get the ema if they qualify for it...............

And nice one JP................ :thumbs:

When i joined the forum almost five years ago i could never have imagined how much he would come on. It just goes to show things can improve and get better and never say never.

Hi Paula,

So pleased for you and your son. I can remember when I first joined the forum I read a lot of your posts as my daughter was around the same age - you must feel on top of the world - hoping things keep on improving and he does well next year with his exams.

Take care,

Jb x