baranigirl

refused DLA

Completed a form for DLA for my DP, I thought I explained everything quite well, but they have refused it on the basis he is too capable?

Any ideas whether I should try again or just accept their decision?

Completed a form for DLA for my DP, I thought I explained everything quite well, but they have refused it on the basis he is too capable?

Hello :)

You can appeal against their decision if you wish. You will find information on how to do this here

Have they given you any further details as to why they feel he is too capable?

DWP seem to refuse at first application as a matter of course - they did with my own initial application for IB and J's for DLA. It's almost as if they're seeing how serious you are about claiming :wallbash:

Next step is to request reconsideration. Send in some additional information if you can (you can ask for copies of their documents and make a decision as to what you think could help your case) such as reports from friends, additional doctors or consultants - anyone who can vouch for the difficulties DP has in daily life. A friend of mine once got the chap who ran the corner shop to write about her going in with her walking stick (she has ME/CFS) and that helped her claim.

From what I hear, a lot of claims are accepted at reconsideration stage without having to go to appeal. Worth a try.

Good luck

Karen

x

hi baranigirl -

I've just whipped back over some of your other posts and i'm wondering why you think he would be eligible for DLA?

Very few HF adults with a family who are in full time work (or who have a history of full time work) are going to meet the criteria for DLA, whether they have a diagnosis or not. It's Disability Living Allowance, and without either an official diagnosis or any specific indications of a life-effecting disability he's just not going to qualify. If he's having short term mental health problems that are effecting his ability to work then he may be eligible for incapacity benefit or something, but in one of your posts a week or two ago it said he was working 8 - 4 five days a week and prior to that he was working longer hours on shiftwork, so unless that's changed IB etc seems unlikely too.

Hope that's helpful

BD :D

hi baranigirl -

I've just whipped back over some of your other posts and i'm wondering why you think he would be eligible for DLA?

Very few HF adults with a family who are in full time work (or who have a history of full time work) are going to meet the criteria for DLA, whether they have a diagnosis or not. It's Disability Living Allowance, and without either an official diagnosis or any specific indications of a life-effecting disability he's just not going to qualify. If he's having short term mental health problems that are effecting his ability to work then he may be eligible for incapacity benefit or something, but in one of your posts a week or two ago it said he was working 8 - 4 five days a week and prior to that he was working longer hours on shiftwork, so unless that's changed IB etc seems unlikely too.

Hope that's helpful

Thanks for that, I did wonder whether he would qualify, but when you complete the forms it asks about daily tasks etc, such as can he go out alone? Which he can't, he drives to and from work alone but that is it!

It is very confusing what they accept as a disability as my nephew with ADHD is likely to be accepted (my friends son has been and he is nowhere near as bad as my nephew), probably because he is a child, but what happens when these people turn into adults and still need some type of care?

I have to fit my working life around my oldest daughter being here to help my DP or my MIL as he cannot cope with the kids and we cannot cope if I don't work! The DLA would have just taken some of the pressure off us as a family

Yes I did write all that in the application too!

Even my friend who has cancer has qualified, yet she can do much more than DP can, except she struggles with her mobility (a little) rather than a mental issue arghhh it just does not make sense

He works cos I basically make him, given the choice he would refuse to go (just as he refused to go to school as a teenager) but I encourage him daily to do it and once he is there he is fine, then he comes home and explodes lol

Maybe I could ask them to reconsider, I just don't know, be much simpler if there were just tick boxes on the form!

Hi

Difficult one because disorders, conditions, diseases, etc are all assessed differently. The person that refer to that has cancer may appear able, but will likely be restricted if receiving treatment, etc. You'll need to think carefully about what DPs difficulties are and how his disorder affects various aspects of his life, for example, can he go to the shop himself? If not, why not? Does he sleep well? If not, does he require extra care and if so what kind of care? If he has difficulties communicating with others, for example, again, going into a shop, what sort of assistance is required. It could be that he isn't eligible on the other hand DLA forms are very difficult to fill out. I sought help from a local organisation and was asked a whole host of questions. I answered them all honesty and surprised myself that it didn't occur to me that my son did in fact require a lot of care. So, it may well be worth seeking help to look at it again. I think CAB can help. In addition, there are some good websites that provide guidance, so it's worth googling DLA applications.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Most find asking for a copy of the evidence used and a full explaination helps decide if an appeal or reconsideration is worth it or if you need additional information.

hi baranigirl -

Hope that's helpful

One of my friends works full time and claims DLA.

DWP seem to refuse at first application as a matter of course

Not true, mine wasn't. Although I did have a huge number of reports, consultants letters etc. that I sent in with it and they said this gave them enough information from which to make their decision.

And you can work (even full-time) and claim DLA - DLA is about additional expenses occurred as a result of the disability and unlike other benefits it is specifically not means tested and they state that you can claim it if you work.

Not true, mine wasn't. Although I did have a huge number of reports, consultants letters etc. that I sent in with it and they said this gave them enough information from which to make their decision.

And you can work (even full-time) and claim DLA - DLA is about additional expenses occurred as a result of the disability and unlike other benefits it is specifically not means tested and they state that you can claim it if you work.

Misunderstanding alert! I didn't say that you can't get DLA if you're working, I said that it was unlikely somebody working full time, with no diagnosis of any sort or any recorded details/evidence of life-effecting disability would fit the eligibility criteria. I know it's not a means tested benefit, but I didn't think it was a 'universal' one like Child Benefit :unsure:

L&P

My DS received adult DLA from 16, after getting it as a child from the age of 6. I filled the forms in with him.

As with children, an adult must need significantly more support than an adult without a disability.

(Just to clarify, my DS didn't want to reapply when he was 18 as he felt he had made such progress that he no longer qualified for this additional support).

Bid :)

Edited by bid

interesting debate and yes I knew he can work and claim, so skipped over that bit lol

I guess we need to maybe get a more formal diagnosis in place and reapply with some evidence supporting his needs, he has good and bad days, you can't see them coming and have to deal with each day as they appear, so the DLA forms askig how often things happen within a week can be misleading, as some weeks nothing, other weeks its every day.

Maybe he isn't bad eough to qualify, but as he has had to change his work ad as a result had over half his wages gone cos the new job is minmum wage, whereas the old job was very good money per hour, but the shifts are what started this ball rolling and him almost jumping off a school building during his first proper meltdown, there was no way he could stay and although they offered him other jobs they were miles away or just really tedious jobs and as he has ants in his pants completely unsuitable, luckily he 'fell' into this job as someone was sacked where his mum works and it is more suited to him, but the pay is awful and of course we have a huge mortgage and 4 kids to feed. With me working the 20-25 hours a week I do I earn almost as much as he does working full time! The additional from DLA would have really helped us as he is really limited to what work he can do, surely that is classed as a disability too?

Misunderstanding alert! I didn't say that you can't get DLA if you're working

I know, I didn't say you said this - I was reiterating Trekster's point and making a general point to clarify for others the difference between DLA and IB (is that the right one? :unsure:) for instance.

I know it's not a means tested benefit, but I didn't think it was a 'universal' one like Child Benefit :unsure:

I'm not sure if there's a bit of an 'undertone' to that comment. I can't work out if there is or not. I think there is and I don't know if you mean it. If you do mean it, that's a very unfair statement because no one knows what other people are going through and it comes back to making snap judgements about others without knowing the full story. As it is, I don't get my DLA predominantly for ASD and it was a really hard decision for me to go ahead and make the claim - it took others to make me realise that I do need the help I need but I still don't necessarily want to accept that that is the case.

The additional from DLA would have really helped us as he is really limited to what work he can do, surely that is classed as a disability too?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I think (my understanding is that) DLA is intended to cover the additional costs arising as a result of the individual's disability/support needs. For instance (these aren't directly related to ASD, more to other issues, but they do all get mixed up), I have to have someone with me if I wanted to go i.e. swimming meaning double the cost, I have to attend multiple medical appointments and at least fortnightly hospital appointments all of which attract additional costs, I need some adaptations to my room to keep me safe overnight, I use a computer based communication system which can be costly, I need some medical equipment which isn't covered by prescription (though most is thankfully). There's other examples, my brain's not working tonight though...

I'm not sure how they equate the need for significant support with a monetary outcome, for instance I need support available at all times and to be in an environment where others can keep an eye on my as I don't recognise/respond to my own symptoms or have the means to effectively get help. Maybe it's because I'm in a slightly unusual situation as a student and DLA is based on support you need whether you get it or not - but then support for care comes from direct payments if needed I think?? Hmm, confusing myself now... :huh:

For me, it's not about the money, but about the recognition (even if I don't really want to acknowledge it myself :tearful:) of need and access (hopefully) to other services.

I know, I didn't say you said this - I was reiterating Trekster's point and making a general point to clarify for others the difference between DLA and IB (is that the right one? :unsure:) for instance.

I'm not sure if there's a bit of an 'undertone' to that comment. I can't work out if there is or not. I think there is and I don't know if you mean it. If you do mean it, that's a very unfair statement because no one knows what other people are going through and it comes back to making snap judgements about others without knowing the full story. As it is, I don't get my DLA predominantly for ASD and it was a really hard decision for me to go ahead and make the claim - it took others to make me realise that I do need the help I need but I still don't necessarily want to accept that that is the case.

No - there is an undertone, but not the one you thought...

I'm just getting a bit tired of almost everything I post getting picked to pieces, and even in something like this where I just said that you have to demonstrate disability in some way to get DLA someone finding something 'wrong'. In this instance it was people seeming to think I had said you couldn't get DLA and work. (as two consecutive posts seemed to be pointing out that you could).

So, no, it wasn't a judgement at all about you receiving DLA, it was me feeling annoyed about being taken out of context again over a quite innocent post.

I'm sure someone will find an 'angle' in this post too, but what the hey...

L&P

Edited by baddad

I guess we all see the reasons for DLA differently and that's what makes it so hard to assess for the DWP too, maybe we will try again once we have seen the psychiatrist and have a report from that depending what it says.

DP needs a carer sometimes, but I can't claim carers allowance unless he gets DLA and nor can we claim additional TC unless he gets DLA, yet I still have to work and can't afford to pay for childcare as TC won't cover it all and with what I earn I would end up working to pay the childcare if we were to do it that way. So in the meantime he has to struggle along with the kids and the kids have to struggle along with him trying not to offend him too much!

Til then we will muddle through, his Mum is goving up one of her precious days off to come and help him and my oldest daughter is giving up precious study time for her GCSE's to help him, it's not fair on any of them, but I can't see what else we can do?

And Badad I have not found any of your posts offending, am grateful for all the advice I have received from everyone xx

In this instance it was people seeming to think I had said you couldn't get DLA and work. (as two consecutive posts seemed to be pointing out that you could).

Going back through the posts, the only two consecutive posts you can be referring to are Trekster's followed by mine. I can't speak for Trekster but I think she was just pointing out a fact based on a literal interpretation of a post, I was doing the same and as I have already said I wasn't seeming to think you had said this, but because it could potentially be read as that or may be a misunderstanding people hold I thought it was worth making it clear (well I thought so, perhaps regretting that a bit now).

I'm a bit upset that you've again been annoyed with me (again as in twice in this thread, I'm not referring to other threads/discussions) when I previously and I think pretty clearly said that what I wrote wasn't a direct response to your post and that the way you had interpreted me interpreting your post wasn't how I had interpreted it at all.

You might find that the assessment process documents the difficulties you are trying to explain on the DLA form.

If you're applying for the disability element of working tax credits, you have to have a disability that affects your ability to get work. In my case, the evidence to support this was that I received DLA, but it might be worth checking what other things might be considered evidence.

You might find that the assessment process documents the difficulties you are trying to explain on the DLA form.

If you're applying for the disability element of working tax credits, you have to have a disability that affects your ability to get work. In my case, the evidence to support this was that I received DLA, but it might be worth checking what other things might be considered evidence.

thank you I shall ask them next time I speak to them, so far most places have been great, such as the mortgage company, we want to hold our own but with 2 toddlers it is not feasible right now xx

Have just located the letter DP received refusing the DLA, he never showed it to me, even though I deal with all the post, he just told me it was refused.

The date on it is December 9th 2009 and the reason for refusals etc are listed as this

MOBILITY

Needs help with comfort and reassurance

Do not need help with walking outside on unfamiliar routes

No entitled to the mobility component (Totally agree with this bit)

CARE

Needs help to communicate (I do ALL his finances, phone calls, post anything that involves communication)

Do not need help to get out of bed

Help with personal care from another person, this is not for a significant portion of the day or frequently dut=ring the day

Does not need continual supervision during the day in order to prevent substantial damage to yourself or others (he has had 6 or 7 breakdowns in a year and only drives to work and home alone everything else he has someone around to keep an eye on him because of his mental state)

preparing a main meal, he does not need help to prepare a meal for one person (beans on toast he is fine, but he could not cook a meal from scratch and pull it all together and if he gets distracted its a nightmare)

Am I too late to ask them to review the care side?

Can't remember when the letter actually arrived, but I am sure it was after Xmas, meaning it took almost a month to get to us, which seems unreal, but my son's letter from the paed also took over a month to arrive over the same period!

Have just located the letter DP received refusing the DLA, he never showed it to me, even though I deal with all the post, he just told me it was refused.

The date on it is December 9th 2009 and the reason for refusals etc are listed as this

MOBILITY

Needs help with comfort and reassurance

Do not need help with walking outside on unfamiliar routes

No entitled to the mobility component (Totally agree with this bit)

CARE

Needs help to communicate (I do ALL his finances, phone calls, post anything that involves communication)

Do not need help to get out of bed

Help with personal care from another person, this is not for a significant portion of the day or frequently dut=ring the day

Does not need continual supervision during the day in order to prevent substantial damage to yourself or others (he has had 6 or 7 breakdowns in a year and only drives to work and home alone everything else he has someone around to keep an eye on him because of his mental state)

preparing a main meal, he does not need help to prepare a meal for one person (beans on toast he is fine, but he could not cook a meal from scratch and pull it all together and if he gets distracted its a nightmare)

Am I too late to ask them to review the care side?

Can't remember when the letter actually arrived, but I am sure it was after Xmas, meaning it took almost a month to get to us, which seems unreal, but my son's letter from the paed also took over a month to arrive over the same period!

Hi

I am not sure what the time limit is,but sure its worth a try.Given that around Oct/Nov there was a nationwide postal strike and thereafter there was nationwide snow,and we didnt get post for about two weeks.I also received a letter dated before Christmas and it arrived second week of January,it requires info from me and gave me 8 weeks from the date of the letter,but I am taking it from the date I received it!

I think you should contact your local Citizens Advice or local Law Centre, and see if there is anyone who can help you complete the forms for appealing the decision. Unfortunately there is 'a way' of filling out these forms, and sometimes you cannot even think what information they are asking for.

For instance the question about can they walk outside - yes my child can, but he needs constant supervision because he is not aware of danger, might run into the road, might hide, may run away from sensory stimulation, may appear deaf etc etc.

If your husband can cope going outside on his own then he is okay. If he can only travel in his car to work, but could not go into town for shopping for food or clothes etc without an adult being with him because of sensory issues, communication issues, anxiety etc, then that is something different.

My sister has a learning disability. She works full time and lives alone. She gets DLA.

I get DLA for certain parts of self care. If your husband has problems with sequencing, planning, organising etc and would need someone to help him even get the food in to cook it, then that is something you should raise.

I know this is about another child, but some friends of ours have managed to get funding for a car due to 'mobility' problems. He can walk fine. But he is incontinent, cannot travel on public transport due to sensory issues and anxiety. Without a car he would be housebound. The parents had to go to appeal on this as they were refused at first. But they managed to get letters from the paediatrician etc to state that this child would not be able to attend therapies, or have any social life, and his parents would struggle without a car as one of them would have to stay at home with their child 24/7.

So get some advice from those that know first. Then decide if it is worth proceeding. My own LEA has a benefits advice centre that is independent and helped me complete all the forms for myself and my son.

thanks Sally, I have rung the DLA people and requested a review and added to what I felt they misunderstood about the claim, I told them the letter was late in arriving and thye said they will see what they can do and wantred to know why DP wasn't calling, so I explained he refuses to call anyone except familyand that I deal with all his finances, post etc as a result of how is feeling and the dyslexia too

He would not go to a supermarket, will go to town if I force him and only with me, he just hates how it makes him feel.

So as well as working full time and running the kids about I also have to organise all the food, clothes and any other shopping we have. Sequencing, planning and stuff like that are not his forte, he needs lists for everything, we now have a timetable for each one of us to help him cope better with family life. He didn't think it was relevant to call me at work to ask me to fetch milk on the way home as it didn't affect him, only his kids had to suffer with no milk for breakfast the following morning.

I hate talking about him like he is useless because he isn't, he is a very intelligent person and I don't want to make him feel he is stupid, cos he went through the whole of his school life thinking he was until he got the dyslexia diagnosis 2 months before he sat his GCSE's!

thanks Sally, I have rung the DLA people and requested a review and added to what I felt they misunderstood about the claim, I told them the letter was late in arriving and thye said they will see what they can do and wantred to know why DP wasn't calling, so I explained he refuses to call anyone except familyand that I deal with all his finances, post etc as a result of how is feeling and the dyslexia too

He would not go to a supermarket, will go to town if I force him and only with me, he just hates how it makes him feel.

So as well as working full time and running the kids about I also have to organise all the food, clothes and any other shopping we have. Sequencing, planning and stuff like that are not his forte, he needs lists for everything, we now have a timetable for each one of us to help him cope better with family life. He didn't think it was relevant to call me at work to ask me to fetch milk on the way home as it didn't affect him, only his kids had to suffer with no milk for breakfast the following morning.

I hate talking about him like he is useless because he isn't, he is a very intelligent person and I don't want to make him feel he is stupid, cos he went through the whole of his school life thinking he was until he got the dyslexia diagnosis 2 months before he sat his GCSE's!

Please try to make sure you have help filling in the forms from an organisation experienced as mentioned above.

Try to itemise all the things your partner would need help with, or would struggle with if he lived on his own.

If he does have significant needs you can ask for an assessment by social services of both yourself as a carer and your partner. If he does need to do certain things, and you are doing them for him or with him, he maybe able to get Direct Payments through Social Services. This would mean money that he can use to spend on employing someone to do these things for him or with him. Sometimes social services have carers that can do certain things, but for all services SS cannot meet they have to consider direct payments so that the person themselves can employ someone.

I am thinking of doing this for my son so that I can employ someone to go to clubs or the cinema with him. I cannot always go and without me he cannot cope. But if I always go with him I am not giving time to my other child.

My sister employs a carer to go with her for shopping trips because she has no understanding of money and needs help to ensure she makes healthy food choices.

As a carer you may be able to secure a carers time for them to be with your husband so that you can have some kind of social life, or so that you can all go out together as a family etc.

But you do really need to push for it. And it does always depend on whether your partner could be able to use that kind of help. But if he had a hobby, such as fishing, that you did not want to do - but he did - then he maybe able to employ someone to go fishing with him.

thanks again Sally, I would not say his needs are huge enough to need the SS resources you mentioned, we rely on my oldest daughter a lot to help out, but try to make sure it is when the little ones are in bed where possible to take the pressure off her.

Will have a look at the links posted somewhere to make sure we contact the right people to check we have completed the forms correctly, only poroblem being we don't have the forms or a copy of them as they got sent off to the DWP

For the future, it's a really good idea to take photocopies of EVERYTHING!!!

You could try the Citizen's Advice Bureau, the NAS and mental health charities for advice with your appeal.

Hi Baranigirl,

Sorry to hear you are having problems, trying to obtain DLA for this person.

Just a few pointers that you might find helpful if you apply again or go for a reconsideration:

It helps to have a diagnosis but it is not a necessity. A friend who had an undiagnosed physical condition managed to get it. It was 11 years before the Docs gave her a diagnosis.

It is not means tested

Workers can claim it and they might also be eligible for working tax credit with a disability premium.

Always complete the form according to how he is on a bad day.

Try to read between the lines. An example: Question - Can he cook a meal for himself. You need to consider whether he can prepare a meal from scratch, cut and prepare ingredients, put it in the oven, take it out and eat it. Is he clumsy with a knife when peeling and cutting veg, does he have sensory problems whereby he might not know how hot the cooking dish is, when handling it. He might not have any of these problems, but if left to his own devices would he live on junk food or eat the same food everyday. If that is the case, then he needs supervision and he cannot prepare a meal for himself

Try and find someone who has experience and knowledge of the benefits system, to assist you with the forms eg CAB, disability rights organisations, social worker or even someone who has successfully claimed DLA and done battle with the DWP over the years !!

OMG yes he would live on ready meals if I didn't cook for the kids and him! He is a good cook UNLESS he is distracted then he can't reorganise himself

We have a good friend that is a social worker I will ask her to help complete another form is it 6 months between applications if we don't get the review accepted?

had a letter from them, it will take up to 11 weeks to process the review :unsure: and we need to call them within that time if we think of anything else we have missed out.

Will that be backdated to the original date of the claim which was October if we are successful or would they base it from the date of this letter?

DLA is often a lottery....

My youngest daughter aged 12, has lots of problems.

And definitely needs more help than the average 12 year old both day and night. She is destructive so needs to be watched she wets the bed so needs attention, she steals food from the fridge and can be aggressive, plus a whiole host of other stuff. She has no formal diagnosis.

She gets DLA lower level care.

My daughter diagnosed with A/S gets middle care and lower mobility.. she can walk but is at risk of danger because when out and about stressed she runs and isw a dnager to herself... physically she has less problems than my other daughter.

I have two incurable liver conditions. No longer can work, am in constant pain, have very limited energy and have to sleep a lot each day. I was turned down for DLA twice, left it a year then reapplied.

I was awarded this time first time.

It is not at all about having a diagnosis, but all about how much help you need over and above that of an avergae individual I thas nothing to do with how much money you have to pay out for respite care etc...

It depends on who sees the form and how they interpret what you say.... for instance the form asks how far you can walk without being in pain.... I didn't answetr this because I am always in pain but its not caused by walking. They rang me up and queried it so I told them the truth, that I am always in pain so theretiically i cant walk any distance out of pain. But I have the pain even if I stay in bed. But I get mobility now because that fullfills the criterior.

There is a really good forum on works and benefits which gives tips on how to state your difficulties properly. They don't tell you how to cheat the system, its not about that, but many people who should receive DLA don't get it because they don't put enough of the correct information in.

Its worth taking advice before filling out one of these forms as they are so very complicated.

As for back pay..... my personal application was lost then found then messed about with and iut took 6 months for it to be sorted out They paid the whole thing to me as back pay in one lump sum, which also allowed me to take my children away this year as I am not sure we will be able to go on a similar holiday again due to my health.

As for the cooking thing, I cant lift heavy thigns out of the oven but I was told that they base the cooking thing on a ridiculous thing.... something like whether you can use a knife to chop a few vegatables and put them in a pan.

I ahve to cook for 5 people so that skill is next to useless if i cant get it in the oven but thats not taken into account.

If you say you can't stand for long in the kitchen they might suggest a perching stool, so you have to preempt their replies when you are filling in the forms. I think it is something like..... if an 'aid' can help you to do something, then you can't say you can't do it.... But if an aid isnt appropriate they can't make you use it.... for example for me in my kitchen a stool would be dangerous as it would mean the children having to push past to pass me.

They can suggest a commode for your bedroom if you struggle to get up to the loo in the night so you need to say in your application that you have considered a comode but feel that it would impact on your pride etc.... after all who really wants to go to a pee in their bedroom unless it is absilutely necessary.

All these thigns have to be taken into consideration when applying.... it isnt as easy as just describing your probblems. The whole system is flawed. It does not in anyway make allowance to help where finances are tight even to help to look after someone... unless the criterior for that person are met. There may be some benefits however where you can claim for child care or respite care but these are usually means tested I think.

Apologies for typos.... I am on pain meds... and i don't always see the typos! - sorry

Edited by Annea

If you say you can't stand for long in the kitchen they might suggest a perching stool, so you have to preempt their replies when you are filling in the forms. I think it is something like..... if an 'aid' can help you to do something, then you can't say you can't do it.... But if an aid isnt appropriate they can't make you use it.... for example for me in my kitchen a stool would be dangerous as it would mean the children having to push past to pass me.

They can suggest a commode for your bedroom if you struggle to get up to the loo in the night so you need to say in your application that you have considered a comode but feel that it would impact on your pride etc.... after all who really wants to go to a pee in their bedroom unless it is absilutely necessary.

that's really helpful. mine went to tribunal and the letter of reasons came back saying i should use all sorts of alarms to remind me to do an endless list of things (cooking, medication move from activity to activity etc) but the problem is i just wouldn't remember to set them in the first place! if i dont remember to look at the clock when i put something in the oven why would i remember to set an alarm? our house is large and i'm not always in the same place. an alarm in the kitchen wouldn't be heard in the living room/upstairs anyway and if it was in the same room i would panic until it went off as i hate noises like that. they also stated i should leave my medication out on the kitchen counter to remind me. we have a 3 year old in the house so thats just not an option! i'm redoing my forms with the help of a Mind advocate tomorrow, they're even coming to my house :thumbs: more ammo to get the level i should have

Another thing worth thinking about is if you set lots of alarms, they will quickly lose their significance. An alarm can be really good for the very important things, but I would stop paying attention if I had several alarms per day going off.

I have a kitchen timer which makes a big ringing noise. When I am cooking, I set the timer and put it in a drawer, and the noise is not so loud. Of course, then I can only hear it if I actually stay in the kitchen, but I can sit at the table and read a magazine or get on with some other cooking while I am waiting.

If you have a mobile, most of them can be set with a regular alarm and even a message to tell you what the alarm is for. The sound can be softer than a ringing bell, so might be something you can tolerate.

Another thing that might help is a visual timetable with reminders for important things you have to do. Then you have to remember to put things on there and then to look at it, but after a while it might be something you can get used to.

Is there anywhere else you can put your medication that would remind you to take it as part of another routine? Is there anywhere else you could leave your medication, maybe somewhere in your bedroom, where you will see it? If not, a piece of paper with a reminder to take them might be another way to remind yourself.

None of that's actually helpful for your DLA application I realise, but maybe something there is helpful. The fact that you have to go to such lengths and the problems you have in remembering to set alarms in the first place can all be included in your DLA application. Good luck with the advocate tomorrow, I hope they help you make a good application!

had a letter from them, it will take up to 11 weeks to process the review :unsure: and we need to call them within that time if we think of anything else we have missed out.

Will that be backdated to the original date of the claim which was October if we are successful or would they base it from the date of this letter?

Hi baranigirl

Useful links:

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f2.htm

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/dlalaw.htm - has specific link for Aspergers/autism.

I don't think you have to have an official diagnosis to get DLA. It is about what you can/can't do.

You need to use words like 'never' and 'always' rather than 'sometimes'. You don't gain anything by understating the difficulties.

Good luck.

Edited by Mandapanda

Is there anywhere else you can put your medication that would remind you to take it as part of another routine? Is there anywhere else you could leave your medication, maybe somewhere in your bedroom, where you will see it? If not, a piece of paper with a reminder to take them might be another way to remind yourself.

None of that's actually helpful for your DLA application I realise, but maybe something there is helpful. The fact that you have to go to such lengths and the problems you have in remembering to set alarms in the first place can all be included in your DLA application. Good luck with the advocate tomorrow, I hope they help you make a good application!

thanks. i've put my medication in my room in a tissue box next to my bed, hopefully K wont find it as all medications are meant to be kept in a locked box according to social services rules :whistle:

the Mind advocate was great, went through my forms and told me i had answered all the questions well :rolleyes: . ive got to update the answers and transfer it all to both change of circumstance and renewal forms (arrived at the same time), then gather up a load of evidence letters. she said it'll probably still go to tribunal again, but she'll go with me and deal with it. she thinks that the tribunal pannel i had before had no knowledge of ASDs and so couldn't understand the implications of it and couldn't get past the high Iq meaning i must be fine.

off to reprint that fab NAS aditional information form now and actually feeling positive about it all.

thank you, not had a chance to catch up with the social worker yet, but that should happen this week

I did tell the DLA poeple I manage ALL his finances, when I told my friend this she asked what he did before I did them, my reply he spent what was in the bank regardless of whther he had direct Debits coming out the following day or not! So he cannot manage his own finances, let alone household bill paying etc (I paid off all hid debts when we moved in together and he will pay it back to me if we ever sell the house)

I also deal with ALL his mail, he opens it and hands it straight to me without reading it, again the same friend asked what he did previously, well he would look at the first sentence and then shove it in a drawer, if they contacted him for payment if it was an outstanding bill for instance, he would pay then over the phone!

What I am asking is do these things come into it as well as the lady on the phone at the DLA seemed rather surprised I said the above?

Finally I never knew enuresis counted as a disability as my oldest daughter suffered til she was nearly 14 and has just turned 16, I also suffered SPD in my last 2 pregnancies and have subsequently discovered that is also a disability too

Why do GP / Midwives / Consultants not tell you these things when you are given diagnosis for them as financial worries made me continue working in absolute pain with SPD (with work also being a nightmare to the point I threatened them with legal action over it all) I could have taken my leave much earlier had I known all the above and kept sanity in the house ho hum!

Finally (again) my son has food allergies (all dairy, onion, garlic, celery and being tested for gluten and nuts) I have to prepare him separate meals and worry about him going anywhere exceot nursery (they were grilled and I was invited in to see their procedures) should I be applying something as his carer too? He is 19 months old?

I hope I don't sound like I am after anything and everything, but a little extra in benefits, means I can drop a shift or 2 at work, meaning my DP gets less stressed / anxious when I am at work meaning I can concentrate at work without him ringing me constantly and the house is calm all the time

Edited by baranigirl