qwerty

Hello everyone, so glad to have found these forums!

Hi, I am a mum to a 7 year old boy with Aspergers. We realised our son had a serious problem only when he started attending a new school a year ago. Unfortunately our boy struggled through the reception year in a sought after school witha good reputation without anyone there even realising he had this problem. That, or they didn't want to tell us about it.

Our son is doing well at school with the help from his special assistant but his problem at the moment is holding his bowels. He just won't use the toilet anymore and goes in a nappy instead. I found these forums by searching "aspergers" and "constipation".

Can someone please explain to me why I have been labelled a "Norfolk broad" since I am neither! :lol:

Welcome, the norfolk broads is a way of showing how many posts you have done.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.My son is 6 an has dx of AS.

The toilet issue can be many different things.Has he always been able to go to the toilet wwithout any problems? Is he constipated or just going normally but in a nappy?

If he is constipated his diet maybe affecting this,too much or too little of certain foods and more water.I think from your post he has changed schools?Any changes in his normal routine etc can affect his bowel movements as it maybe linked to anxiety.

Another thing is I see you have a baby who I assume is in nappies could this have triggered it off?I have four boys and Sam was fine when his younger brother(4 now) came along but when my last son(18mths old now) came 2 1/2 years later he did have some problems adjusting to having another younger brother,he would cry more and became more clingy than before.I think it was because he could see my focus was on his two little brothers and less on him as he was more independent.

The only thing I can suggest is starting from scratch, potty training him,using a reward chart something visual with colours he likes and pictures.Also maybe get some books out again with lots of pictures to show that he is a big boy and needs to use the toilet.It wont be easy but consistency is the key.If he has a fear of using public toilets or school loo,you can try and get him to go before you go out with lots of encouragement.

If the constipation is causing pain you will need to see a GP prehaps to get some lactulose for him.Also after a couple months if you making no progress with the toileting you should seek help.Does he have regular appts at the place where he got dx?If so you can bring the issue up at the next appt.

Edited by justine1

Hello! I am sure you will get lots of help and information from the site! :)

I asked the same question about Norfolk Broads, and was told it's all to do with the amount of posts we make. The mountains get bigger the more you post (I spent AGES hunting around trying to work out how to change what I thought was my location before I asked and was told! :D)

AS and constipation is common issue many parents have metioned on this forum and the issue normally surrounds anxiety/fear with going to the toilet don't know if this could be a possibility with your son!!!??? something maybe needs looking into more closely going docs etc to see whether medical problem or pyschological like anxiety /fear and phobic behind what going on for him! it not uncommon to have AS suffer alot from this problem!

pleased for you you found these forums as useful and helpful for advice and support! just at the right time hey!

good luck

XKLX

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome! :)

I spent AGES hunting around trying to work out how to change what I thought was my location

Yes, me too!! :lol:

I posted more about my son's toileting problem on the "help and advice". He is convinced that if he does poo on the toilet it will hurt but if he does it in the napppy then it won't. Rewards haven't helped, he literally freaks out if I suggest the toilet when I see he's about to "do it".