dekaspace

JSA and New Deal advice wanted.

Ok have been put on New Deal as been signing on a few months, advisor is strange IMO to say the least, seems to be very pushy and a bit, not cold but wants to get straight to the point.

Had to cancel my initial interview with her due to housemate having a all night party and his guests refusing to leave(they were in the house total of 19 hours!) and when I went to cancel she told me that in the real world people have to deal with things like this all the time and how an employer would fire me if I dont turn up, she never said it nastily though.

Went for initial interview and though she was "polite" she seemed pushy as I say and asked why I hadnt got a job yet (what a stupid question imo) then shoved loads of leaflets in front of me about work trials saying how good it is for people(They seem to be pushing it as at my last 2 sign ons advisors mentioned it to me) then I dont think she was speaking down to me but her tone felt like she was treating me like someone not lower as such but as if she was some figure of authority and I was just a randomer i.e a teacher speaking to a student.

She then showed me the job search screen and mentioned how many jobs there were available(and basically I believe she was hinting at my earlier comment that I said that very few jobs came up)

She then read one job description out to me and "asked" if I wanted to go for it, again asked as in pretty much expecting me to, she then saw another and printed off the details before I even said yes, same for a 3rd job(which I believe is against the rules)

I saw her again on Thursday and she was a bit pushy and told me in the future I had to fill in my job search diary in complete detail and phone employers back at least once a week after I have applied for them, cannot just write date/job reference/position I had to write date/job reference/position THEN my actions like "phoned employer, spoke to "", emailed cv" and stuff like "went up town today" "looked in shop window" "went online at library for 2 hours"

This is very difficult for me and I was told by the disability advisor before that I did not need to fill in job search forms as they will be a problem.

Any advice on what to do?

Hi

Firstly I think she is doing her job,and that is to get people into work.I have been on benefits for two years now as it is near impossible to afford childcare for my four young children.Generally the advisors are good and understanding,but I have been studying so I suppose that is why,however I did have one advisor who sounds similar to your experience,she was very pushy but I didnt take it personally cause like I say they just doing there job.

Is it not possible to get your disability advisor to speak to the advisor your saw?Maybe they can explain what you can and cant do.Also it maybe worth applying for some of the jobs it doesnt mean you have to take it,but they need to see you are making an effort.Even if you dont make note of it,you can use a dictaphone just to say the date and location,then the advisor can check the other details.

Ok have been put on New Deal as been signing on a few months, advisor is strange IMO to say the least, seems to be very pushy and a bit, not cold but wants to get straight to the point.

Had to cancel my initial interview with her due to housemate having a all night party and his guests refusing to leave (they were in the house total of 19 hours!) and when I went to cancel she told me that in the real world people have to deal with things like this all the time and how an employer would fire me if I dont turn up, she never said it nastily though.

i couldn't work with someone like that. They dont seem to realise that a minor problem to them is anything but to us. Somehow i doubt people have problems getting idiots out of their house! i would have called the police if they had refused to leave personally.

Went for initial interview and though she was "polite" she seemed pushy as I say and asked why I hadnt got a job yet (what a stupid question imo) then shoved loads of leaflets in front of me about work trials saying how good it is for people (They seem to be pushing it as at my last 2 sign ons advisors mentioned it to me) then I dont think she was speaking down to me but her tone felt like she was treating me like someone not lower as such but as if she was some figure of authority and I was just a randomer i.e a teacher speaking to a student.

Work trials can work for some people if you can get an interview in the 1st place. They do treat you like a number on jobseekers. Have you tried applying for "employment and support allowance" instead?

She then showed me the job search screen and mentioned how many jobs there were available (and basically I believe she was hinting at my earlier comment that I said that very few jobs came up)

She then read one job description out to me and "asked" if I wanted to go for it, again asked as in pretty much expecting me to, she then saw another and printed off the details before I even said yes, same for a 3rd job (which I believe is against the rules)

i doubt it would be against the rules to print out details for a jot to try for. She doesnt seem to understand aspergers though.

I saw her again on Thursday and she was a bit pushy and told me in the future I had to fill in my job search diary in complete detail and phone employers back at least once a week after I have applied for them, cannot just write date/job reference/position I had to write date/job reference/position THEN my actions like "phoned employer, spoke to "", emailed cv" and stuff like "went up town today" "looked in shop window" "went online at library for 2 hours"

This is very difficult for me and I was told by the disability advisor before that I did not need to fill in job search forms as they will be a problem.

Any advice on what to do?

Speak to their disability advisor and attempt to get on "employment and support allowance" which could be a fairer system for disabled people?

I think if you are on JSA then they treat you as any other person.

On ESA they will acknowledge your difficulties (eg: filling in the sheet) and help you to find a job. My son is on ESA and I can't say it has been a pleasant experieince - lots of delays and two medicals. He hasn't had his first pathways to work session yet, so I can't say if they will be as helpful as they say they will be.

You should definitely speak to your DEA, and see if they can help you with these problems.

I used to work on New Deal as part of a sub contracting company

New Deal is a great way to get people into work experience as you have to turn up daily, there is a wide choice of work placements and you also spend 2 days a week doing Key Skills. You are on New Deal for 13 weeks and can extend it for a further 13 weeks (unless it has changed since 2007 when I got made redundant) and quite often employers will take on staff from the ND scheme once they have proven to be hard working and reliable

As you have a disability you should speak to your disability advisor as to the best way forwards for yourself perhaps he / she can aid you with ways to fill the paperwork in, perhaps there is a spreadsheet you can complete instead and print off weekly etc.

However if you are not applying for jobs then they won't land at your feet I currently have 3 jobs and 4 children and a partner with AS. I was offered a 4th job but I had to turn it down as I was unable to fit it in (all the jobs I applied for I was offered and they are either shop work or care work so very low pay)

If you have kids then Tax Credits helps out with childcare (my youngest 2 are in day care)

Out of choice I do not want to work 3 jobs, but to keep a roof over our heads I have to, but this does cause all sorts of other issues for my DP who also works full time in another low paid job

Sorry to go on a bit, but I do feel rather strongly about this topic

As far as I know when on JSA you have to agree to a job application i.e they can ask if you want to apply but cant say that you have to apply, all jobcentre staff basically are admin staff, they have no rights to stop your benefit or talk down to you, they are the "grunts" and all the power is from the assessors who are seperate, even then if the jobcentre claims you have done something wrong and want to stop your money the grunts have to sent a form to the assessors, they themselves have no power.

Have never been told at any point that I can claim anything other than JSA, I currenly have Dyslexia and dyspraxia and suffer from really bad depression but have no help from doctor with it(such a long waiting list)

My issues arent filling in the form as such but sticking to structure and and remembering to fill it ina nd bring it and I think the expect something silly as its not primary school we are in, why cant I just write down the details of the job applied and the date, as its stupid to write down "filled in form" "sent form by post" "got no reply" "rang employer" as that doesnt help you find a job in any way its just a way IMO of making you do something because they can.

To the above poster I have somewhat mixed feelings about New Deal, IMO it often is used to force people to go to placements and employers use it to get free staff, has happened to me and a friend a few times over the years, my friend 3 years ago had to claim emerency jsa because his employer refused to give him a P60(I think) and he was only working about 6 weeks so had to go back on New Deal when fired and his advisor was a nasty piece of work who got huge amounts of complaints, he was then forced into a New Deal placement and had to walk a hour to work about 7.30am and then work till like 6pm each day and do a hours walk back and was refused travel expenses and got a lot of abuse from his boss(he has mild learning difficulties too so comes across as stupid or lazy/not listening) ironically we were illegally evicted and he moved in with family and got a job next day which he has kept for 3 years, he is a very hard worker, and with me I was forced into doing gardening even though I was alergic to many gardening products and the gloves and such and was sanctioned for saying I couldnt do it, other time with New Deal I was at uni part time and doing 4 hours a week and they called me in and the advisor had a supervisor there and twisted my words and pestered me to fill in these forms then had my benefit stopped 3 days before christmas claiming that even though my studies were 4 hours a week and I would be doing 40 hours a week studying at home! Talk about scrooge!

I used to work on New Deal as part of a sub contracting company

New Deal is a great way to get people into work experience as you have to turn up daily, there is a wide choice of work placements and you also spend 2 days a week doing Key Skills. You are on New Deal for 13 weeks and can extend it for a further 13 weeks (unless it has changed since 2007 when I got made redundant) and quite often employers will take on staff from the ND scheme once they have proven to be hard working and reliable

As you have a disability you should speak to your disability advisor as to the best way forwards for yourself perhaps he / she can aid you with ways to fill the paperwork in, perhaps there is a spreadsheet you can complete instead and print off weekly etc.

However if you are not applying for jobs then they won't land at your feet I currently have 3 jobs and 4 children and a partner with AS. I was offered a 4th job but I had to turn it down as I was unable to fit it in (all the jobs I applied for I was offered and they are either shop work or care work so very low pay)

If you have kids then Tax Credits helps out with childcare (my youngest 2 are in day care)

Out of choice I do not want to work 3 jobs, but to keep a roof over our heads I have to, but this does cause all sorts of other issues for my DP who also works full time in another low paid job

Sorry to go on a bit, but I do feel rather strongly about this topic

I know tax credits helps with childcare but if I am to work a low paid job it would mean I just survive and be worse off than I am.I have worked since the age of 16,I come from a family of hard working individuals.I worked during every pregnancy(except my last baby) right until four weeks before due date,I worked average 5-6 nights as a care assistant.Unlike you I am completely on my own both my ex and my family live 20min drive away ,even though your husband has AS I am sure he can help it even if its just so you can bath,and I do not drive.(sorry not having a go just allowing you to see from my point of view.)

When I left my husband I was 5 mths pregnant,because I relied on him to care for the kids when I worked nights and weekends and I cared for them when he worked day shift,I had never needed to pay for childcare.I had never claimed benefits or even child benefit before 2008,when I went to the Job centre the lady said I would actually be worse off if I worked at that point(after all I had two under 5's and a baby on the way).After 6mths I started to study and have been doing so since.I am due to start full time Uni in Sept,so that is why I am not working.Like you say most jobs like working in a shop and care work(which I love and can easily return to)pay very little.I to think people should work but there are circumstances where benefits are essential.If my youngest was two 1/2 and I was not studying,I would be at work.Most of the childminders work from 8am,the place where I can work starts 7.30am so again it would mean actually finding someone to care for four kids (as school starts 8.45)from 7am.When I did start claiming two years ago I told myself it would be short term,so if I am struggling at Uni or things dont go to plan then I will go back even if I am worse off because I want my own children to aspire to work hard.

My father is 60 and he has very poor health,he wants to work but its no longer possible. To get him to go seek benefits is a struggle as he thinks its "sponging" and hates the thought of it but how else would he survive.My brother is also disabled(he has had three strokes) he has severe speech and mobility problems,though he receives DLA he works part time at a school and he is also studying to become a TA.So that is why I know I will not be claiming for long because my family push me and aspire me to be something.

Sorry I have also gone on,and off topic to,sorry for that.I am not targeting you and understand that you feel stongly about people working and so do I and until recently thought there should be no excuse not to work but one does see things differently when they left with nothing but the clothes on their back,as I was.

Hi Deskapsace

You could ask your New Deal adviser to refer you to the Disability Employment Adviser ( DEA). You will still be on the New Deal scheme but will be treated with more leniency and given more help tailored to your needs.

Has your disability been noted on their LMS computer system and does it get a mention on your Jobseekers Agreement (JSAG). If not get your JSAG updated to include that you are dyslexic and dyspraxic and any restrictions ie. a person with dyslexia should be able to exempt themselves from a job that requires plenty of paperwork.

If you refuse a job and it matches what you have on the JSAG, the adviser can send it up to a decision maker who might decide you didn't have good cause to refuse the job, thereby leading to a suspension of your benefits.

With regard to the Jobsearch Log (ES4), you are not obliged to complete this. However, as you are in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance you must provide some evidence of Jobsearching. One suggestion would be to take in newspaper cuttings of jobs that you have applied for or phoned up about. You could also print off a list from your computer of job applications on internet websites or you can just tell her what you have done. If you do it verbally, be specific - Don't say " I had an interview for a warehouse job but can't remember the name of the employer", otherwise she might think you are lying !

It sometimes happens that you have looked and not found anything. It is OK to say you have looked and have been unsuccessful in the last 2 weeks as long as you have done at least three things eg looked on internet job sites, asked friends /ex colleagues and looked in newspapers.

Your adviser is there to get you back into work, she would not be doing her job if she didn't bother with you. Work Trials are very good as you can try a job out and if at the end of the work trial you decide it's not for you, you can leave it and your benefits will NOT be stopped.

To summarise it :

Include information of your disability on your JSAG

Ask to be referred to the DEA

Alternatively you could ask your doctor if he would support you in claiming Employment Support Allowance (give you a sick certificate ) then you would not be required to sign on.

All the best

no offence taken and I am pleased my post was not offensive either

Have been a single mum too I worked and held a mortgage in my own name (before letting DP move in 4 yrs ago I was on my own for 5 yrs) Things do seem impossible sometimes and the benefits system is twisted in all the wrong directions at times. Am not saying what I did was right or wrong, but it was the only option for me as I had to keep my 7yr old DD sane, she did not cope with me chucking her father out at all, but luckily she is now a fully grown sensible 16yr old

My family live abroad, as does DP father, so we have very little help round us although his grandparents are round the corner they are more of a hinderance than a help haha and his Mum works full time in a bar so she has little time to help, but she does come and help DP on a wednesday (her day off) as he cannot cope with the kids whilst I am at work and that is the only evening he has them for any length of time (3.30 - 8)

Keep your heads high and keep up the hunt guys it will come to you just keep looking xx

no offence taken and I am pleased my post was not offensive either

Have been a single mum too I worked and held a mortgage in my own name (before letting DP move in 4 yrs ago I was on my own for 5 yrs) Things do seem impossible sometimes and the benefits system is twisted in all the wrong directions at times. Am not saying what I did was right or wrong, but it was the only option for me as I had to keep my 7yr old DD sane, she did not cope with me chucking her father out at all, but luckily she is now a fully grown sensible 16yr old

My family live abroad, as does DP father, so we have very little help round us although his grandparents are round the corner they are more of a hinderance than a help haha and his Mum works full time in a bar so she has little time to help, but she does come and help DP on a wednesday (her day off) as he cannot cope with the kids whilst I am at work and that is the only evening he has them for any length of time (3.30 - 8)

Keep your heads high and keep up the hunt guys it will come to you just keep looking xx

Again you were lucky as you had a home and I suppose that gave you the motivation to work.I was still on payroll at my work one month after I left(my boss was really understanding and really helped) while I tried to figure out how I will cope with childcare and transport as I had moved away from the area,I even made plans to privatley rent a property with my father but because I had no savings and earned below a certain threshold every agency turned us away.In the end there was nothing I could do,couldnt find a new job being 5 mths pregnant :unsure: I was also moved to a refuge outside the area where I was for 6mths.

I do think if there was more help for people in that situation I would never have had to leave my job,I never got paid much but I enjoyed it and that is why I am going to study nursing.If childcare was completely free,even just for a year while I was waiting to be housed,that would have helped me alot and I am sure the cost would be less than me being on benefits and I would be a tax payer to.I think the system is a bit "one size fits all" and there needs to be more choice.Thats my opinion anyway.

As far as I know when on JSA you have to agree to a job application i.e they can ask if you want to apply but cant say that you have to apply, all jobcentre staff basically are admin staff, they have no rights to stop your benefit or talk down to you, they are the "grunts" and all the power is from the assessors who are seperate, even then if the jobcentre claims you have done something wrong and want to stop your money the grunts have to sent a form to the assessors, they themselves have no power.

Have never been told at any point that I can claim anything other than JSA, I currenly have Dyslexia and dyspraxia and suffer from really bad depression but have no help from doctor with it(such a long waiting list)

My issues arent filling in the form as such but sticking to structure and and remembering to fill it ina nd bring it and I think the expect something silly as its not primary school we are in, why cant I just write down the details of the job applied and the date, as its stupid to write down "filled in form" "sent form by post" "got no reply" "rang employer" as that doesnt help you find a job in any way its just a way IMO of making you do something because they can.

To the above poster I have somewhat mixed feelings about New Deal, IMO it often is used to force people to go to placements and employers use it to get free staff, has happened to me and a friend a few times over the years, my friend 3 years ago had to claim emerency jsa because his employer refused to give him a P60(I think) and he was only working about 6 weeks so had to go back on New Deal when fired and his advisor was a nasty piece of work who got huge amounts of complaints, he was then forced into a New Deal placement and had to walk a hour to work about 7.30am and then work till like 6pm each day and do a hours walk back and was refused travel expenses and got a lot of abuse from his boss(he has mild learning difficulties too so comes across as stupid or lazy/not listening) ironically we were illegally evicted and he moved in with family and got a job next day which he has kept for 3 years, he is a very hard worker, and with me I was forced into doing gardening even though I was alergic to many gardening products and the gloves and such and was sanctioned for saying I couldnt do it, other time with New Deal I was at uni part time and doing 4 hours a week and they called me in and the advisor had a supervisor there and twisted my words and pestered me to fill in these forms then had my benefit stopped 3 days before christmas claiming that even though my studies were 4 hours a week and I would be doing 40 hours a week studying at home! Talk about scrooge!

Sorry Dekaspace as I have gone off topic a bit and taken over your post,sorry!

I do think your priority should be to get back in touch with the dissabilitiy advisor,it seems you need some more support which you are not getting.Have you explained which jobs would best suit your needs? I think this is important,obviousley you may not be able to have more choice of your hours etc. but at least narrow down the search so at least when you do find something you will be less likely to quit as you will doing something that you are capable of(not necessarily enjoy as not everyone enjoys their work,they just have to work.)I guess you have to be honest though about how serious you are about getting work,it is understandable that you need something to suit your needs but at the same time it wont help if you are too picky,with the gardening I am sure you could have requested gloves that you are not allergic to and maybe even a face mask so you dont inhale the chemicals.If you are studying and aiming for a better job then the only other option would be to go to full time Uni,that is what I will be doing.Even though it means you may have debts after the long term benefits far outweigh that.

Unfortunatley the advisors can report you saying you not making any effort,and then they can stop your benefits.So that is why you should get help to try and find suitable employment.

As far as I know when on JSA you have to agree to a job application i.e they can ask if you want to apply but cant say that you have to apply, all jobcentre staff basically are admin staff, they have no rights to stop your benefit or talk down to you, they are the "grunts" and all the power is from the assessors who are separate, even then if the jobcentre claims you have done something wrong and want to stop your money the grunts have to sent a form to the assessors, they themselves have no power.

Have never been told at any point that I can claim anything other than JSA, I currently have Dyslexia and dyspraxia and suffer from really bad depression but have no help from doctor with it(such a long waiting list)

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employmen...rt-the-esa-test

Is the test you can take to see if you could qualify for ESA.

Generally speaking job centres don't tell you when to apply for disability benefits. The NAS produced a booklet about benefits.

My issues aren't filling in the form as such but sticking to structure and and remembering to fill it in and bring it and I think the expect something silly as its not primary school we are in, why cant I just write down the details of the job applied and the date, as its stupid to write down "filled in form" "sent form by post" "got no reply" "rang employer" as that doesn't help you find a job in any way its just a way IMO of making you do something because they can.

They are asking for evidence of whats happening in your job seeking efforts. i can understand how difficult it is to fill in forms and work out what to put down and where. im dyslexic as well.

To the above poster I have somewhat mixed feelings about New Deal, IMO it often is used to force people to go to placements and employers use it to get free staff, has happened to me and a friend a few times over the years, my friend 3 years ago had to claim emergency jsa because his employer refused to give him a P60(I think) and he was only working about 6 weeks so had to go back on New Deal when fired and his advisor was a nasty piece of work who got huge amounts of complaints, he was then forced into a New Deal placement and had to walk an hour to work about 7.30am and then work till like 6pm each day and do a hours walk back and was refused travel expenses and got a lot of abuse from his boss(he has mild learning difficulties too so comes across as stupid or lazy/not listening) ironically we were illegally evicted and he moved in with family and got a job next day which he has kept for 3 years, he is a very hard worker, and with me I was forced into doing gardening even though I was allergic to many gardening products and the gloves and such and was sanctioned for saying I couldn't do it, other time with New Deal I was at uni part time and doing 4 hours a week and they called me in and the advisor had a supervisor there and twisted my words and pestered me to fill in these forms then had my benefit stopped 3 days before Christmas claiming that even though my studies were 4 hours a week and I would be doing 40 hours a week studying at home! Talk about scrooge!

Grrr about walking an hour to work. That is totally unreasonable. As for the 40 hours a week at home that is wrong since i was studying 13 hours a week and still claiming disability benefits! My brother studies 1 evening and 1 day per week and claims JSA.

your Disability advisor should have put all the details of what you can/cant do into your jobseekers agreement, for example mine says things like distance of search X miles - reason for reduction disability, and also states quiet and no crowds as requirements. i think youre required to apply for any job that meets your agreement if they choose to push it. its in my agreement that i dont have to talk to potential employers, so if someone asks me why i haven't spoken to anyone or called companies i say they need to speak to the disability advisor if they have a problem with my job search. last fortnight i had an advisor that got very agressive with me because i refused to consider applying for a work-trial at mcdonalds, then when i said i had asked around about a different type of work he insisted i list everywhere i had asked, then demanded why i hadn't asked at a different place. if he calls me tomorrow i will ask to speak to the manager and refuse to deal with him.

as for the looking for work log, i fill it in on the bus on the way to the jobcentre, and i put where i looked, what i found and what happened (usually look again or fill in application). i dont put dates because i dont fill it in when i do the stuff. ive got used to just putting set things in now, mostly looked in X, nothing suitable, check again. ive never had any hassle from doing that

all jobcentre staff basically are admin staff, they have no rights to stop your benefit or talk down to you, they are the "grunts" and all the power is from the assessors who are seperate, even then if the jobcentre claims you have done something wrong and want to stop your money the grunts have to sent a form to the assessors, they themselves have no power.

Well, speaking as someone who is married to one of these 'grunts' - if this is what you think about them, then your attitude will come across loud and clear. Ask yourself if your advisor's demeanour could have been in any way influenced by your own.

If you despise people doing this kind of work, ask yourself if you could do it day in day out - dealing with people offering verbal & physical abuse (I don't mean you) and pathetic excuses as to why they couldn't attend an interview. He's heard it all before, many, many times.

Oh, and my 'grunt' recently became a Disability Advisor. He's doing a fantastic job, and I'm very proud of him.

Edited by pearl

Well, speaking as someone who is married to one of these 'grunts' - if this is what you think about them, then your attitude will come across loud and clear. Ask yourself if your advisor's demeanour could have been in any way influenced by your own.

If you despise people doing this kind of work, ask yourself if you could do it day in day out - dealing with people offering verbal & physical abuse (I don't mean you) and pathetic excuses as to why they couldn't attend an interview. He's heard it all before, many, many times.

Oh, and my 'grunt' recently became a Disability Advisor. He's doing a fantastic job, and I'm very proud of him.

Depends on what attitude you mean, I think there is many lovely advisors in there but also many seem to think they are something they are not and are grunts in that sense as they seem to think they are often infallable and mistake free, again in the past I remember complaining about a New Deal advisor I had 7 years ago who despite the fact back then I didnt know about my disabilities I had really bad nerves and constantly shaked and had worked in a few jobs and had glowing experience, I wanted to do the Prince's Trust because I had problems making friends and needed to build my team working skills, and she said no and wanted me to do gardening! Not just the fact that I was allergic to the stuff used but my background and family background was things like teachers. police etc and I had a HNC in Media etc.

My last DEA was amazing, really polite and praised me and wanted me to go on a training scheme for people with ASD's and got me a jobcentre psychologist assessment who also said I had ASD's, my current jobcentre(the same one where I was at 7 years ago) just said for people with ASD's they put them in local shop(which is very busy) as they had no local schemes.

But going back to what you say about excuses, I know from experience that I have made excuses in the past but mainly due to lack of morale and being low because of it so even if I applied for jobs I got nowhere and had advisors treat me like I was lying rather than being truthful. I also have met some advisors who despite being friendly are so by the book its counter productive, I had one again the same one from 7 years ago have my benefit stopped as I didnt hand in 1 application form in time, she gave me like 15 forms and 1 was due in before closing time that day, problem was the jobcentre closed in 15 minutes so I forgot and just filled it in and handed it in next day not realising the closing date.

I just feel many advisors treat you as guilty until proven innocent and even then dont really admit they have made mistakes, last year lost 4 weeks money as I was in hospital after an minor accident(dropped something on my toe and it went a bit black and needed a minor op done) I cancelled a appointment, went in next day to be told advisor is part time and wont be back until the following week, came back in then to be told more than 5 working days have passed and my claim has been closed and had to appeal, appealed and somehow I lost!

Sorry if I sounded brusque. I understand you are having a bad time, & was sympathetic until you started insulting people who are trying to help you back into work.

I agree - the quality of advisors can vary tremendously, & sometimes you just don't hit it off with a particular one. You've had bad experiences in the past - put them behind you. The one you have now, from your original post, sounds to be doing her job. She'll have a set number of interviews to do in a day so has to get to the point quickly. She was right to challenge you about cancelling your appointment after a sleepless night - that wouldn't be a valid excuse for missing a day's work, & she was trying to help you into that mindset.

As far as the things she wants you to do - show exactly what you have done to seek work - how else can she know you are serious about wanting employment? If there is a problem with you filling forms in then my OH advises that you go back to the DA & make this clear. You could, if you choose, just see the DA rather than the advisor - its a flexible arrangement depending on different client's needs.

Job trials can be a very good way of getting back into work - again, a good 'fit' is important.

When the system works well, it can transform people's lives. My OH has an AS young man on his caseload. He helped him into supermarket work, which was what he wanted to do. But the commitment doesn't end with getting someone into employment. The lad turned up in a complete panic as he was expected to attend training miles from 'his' supermarket, he'd no idea how to get there & the training was imminent. My OH made some calls, & got his training transferred to the supermarket where the lad was working. This could have made all the difference between success & failure.

See, there are good people in these places who want you to succeed. Meet them halfway & be prepared to try things.

My OH is happy for you to contact him if you wish. PM me & I'll put you in touch.

Sorry if I sounded brusque. I understand you are having a bad time, & was sympathetic until you started insulting people who are trying to help you back into work.

I agree - the quality of advisors can vary tremendously, & sometimes you just don't hit it off with a particular one. You've had bad experiences in the past - put them behind you. The one you have now, from your original post, sounds to be doing her job. She'll have a set number of interviews to do in a day so has to get to the point quickly. She was right to challenge you about cancelling your appointment after a sleepless night - that wouldn't be a valid excuse for missing a day's work, & she was trying to help you into that mindset.

As far as the things she wants you to do - show exactly what you have done to seek work - how else can she know you are serious about wanting employment? If there is a problem with you filling forms in then my OH advises that you go back to the DA & make this clear. You could, if you choose, just see the DA rather than the advisor - its a flexible arrangement depending on different client's needs.

Job trials can be a very good way of getting back into work - again, a good 'fit' is important.

When the system works well, it can transform people's lives. My OH has an AS young man on his caseload. He helped him into supermarket work, which was what he wanted to do. But the commitment doesn't end with getting someone into employment. The lad turned up in a complete panic as he was expected to attend training miles from 'his' supermarket, he'd no idea how to get there & the training was imminent. My OH made some calls, & got his training transferred to the supermarket where the lad was working. This could have made all the difference between success & failure.

See, there are good people in these places who want you to succeed. Meet them halfway & be prepared to try things.

My OH is happy for you to contact him if you wish. PM me & I'll put you in touch.

I'm back sorry for the late reply been a bit knackered last few weeks, I am interested in this now as last week was given a new advisor who said as of the end of this month they are changing the system so anyone who is late for signing on or appointment loses a weeks money and its done by the computers and advisors have no power in it, and if you dont bring your sign on book or diary they will refuse to let you sign on completly which is bad for me as I keep forgetting where I put things but know my national insurance details by heart and just use a A4 notepad to write in my jobsearch.

The advisor even admitted that the system wouldnt work for me as due to my disabilites I am not in the normal system as such but have to follow the systems rules.

dekaspace could you try and transfer over to ESA which is more disability friendly?

dekaspace could you try and transfer over to ESA which is more disability friendly?

I wasnt sure if I was entitled and JSA staff dont know either, all I have been officially diagnosed with is dyspraxia and dyslexia.

I'm back sorry for the late reply been a bit knackered last few weeks, I am interested in this now as last week was given a new advisor who said as of the end of this month they are changing the system so anyone who is late for signing on or appointment loses a weeks money and its done by the computers and advisors have no power in it, and if you dont bring your sign on book or diary they will refuse to let you sign on completly which is bad for me as I keep forgetting where I put things but know my national insurance details by heart and just use a A4 notepad to write in my jobsearch.

The advisor even admitted that the system wouldnt work for me as due to my disabilites I am not in the normal system as such but have to follow the systems rules.

The new "Failure to Attend" rules are a bit draconian but whereas before they shut your claim down for the non attendance days, now it stays open. They just stop your money for that week- so need to make a rapid reclaim.

The computer does not make the decision. It is still a Decision maker who is based outside that office, elsewhere. It's just that before, the paperwork was done manually and faxed over to the Decision Maker and now it is sent electronically.

If you wish to use your A4 notepad instead of your "Looking For Work" log then they cannot stop you. It sounds like someone is being a bit awkward or they are new and inexperienced. As I said in a previous post ,all you have to do is show them that you are actively seeking work. You can produce letters / emails from employers. A list off your computer of jobs you have sought, newspaper cuttings etc. If they tried to do you on " actively seeking work" because you did not produce the ES4 (Jobsearch Log) but produced evidence in other forms, it would be thrown out by the decision maker. So hang on to your A4 pad !

RE: your signing on card. It is needed as it helps the staff to locate your claim paperwork, quickly and more efficiently. It also acts as basic "ID" even though they will go through some ID questions before signing you. It's not the end of the world if you haven't brougt it in and they shouldn't refuse to see you. If they do, just pick up a complaints form, fill it in, return it to the address given and send a copy to your MP, mentioning your disability.

You have a disability, which should not be used as a cop out but nevertheless, they should show more tolerance.

I wasnt sure if I was entitled and JSA staff dont know either, all I have been officially diagnosed with is dyspraxia and dyslexia.

i think those diagnoses could qualify you for ESA since you are tested on many different things. benefitsandwork.co.uk has a self assessment which you can try.

i think those diagnoses could qualify you for ESA since you are tested on many different things. benefitsandwork.co.uk has a self assessment which you can try.

Also forgot the Jobcentre works psychologist gave me tests last year and said I was on the autistic spectrum so their own staff have said it.

EDIT : the test gave me 108 points dont know what that means but all on the mental health side and some answers were vague so hard to find best one i.e about how I interpret instructions.

Edited by dekaspace

Also forgot the Jobcentre works psychologist gave me tests last year and said I was on the autistic spectrum so their own staff have said it.

EDIT : the test gave me 108 points dont know what that means but all on the mental health side and some answers were vague so hard to find best one i.e about how I interpret instructions.

That means it is worth it for you to attempt to apply for ESA. You needed 16 points to qualify for ESA.

i'm going to raise going onto ESA with my disability advisor when i see her in 2 weeks. i've been getting hassle/abuse from the person doing my signing. today i took my support worker with me and she was so horrified with the way he was treating me that she's writing a formal complaint about him from her organisation! previously he's been very agressive with me, making me list places i've looked for work (when i said i'd asked around all the local nurseries he made me list them, trying to catch me out), then got really stroppy with me when i said i wouldn't do a work-trial at mcdonalds. today i said a job as a pot washer in a kitchen was inappropriate, my support worker backed me up and he got in a full blown argument with her about whether kitchens were noisy after talking to me like this -

me- i asked about the job at X, but it turned out it was a kitchen job and that's not suitable

him - *glares* why not

me - because kitchens are too noisy and i can't work in noisy places

him - yes you can

me - ... no i can't

him - yes you can... and kitchens aren't noisy anyway

at which point my support worker chimed in that she's married to the manager of a restaurant and kitchens ARE noisy... to which he replied 'you've worked in a kitchen then have you?' he then threatened to have my benefit stopped because i wasn't keeping my agreement. when i said i was, it was all in there he then said i'd have to go and have it reviewed. i said that was fine if thats what he wanted, but i knew the disability adviser would side with me because i'd discussed all of this with her before.

he then kept me there another 15 minutes doing a job search, coming up with a job contracted for 4 hours a week at what he would only say was 'a shop' that was open 24hours... i said the only places around here that are open 24 hours are tesco and petrol stations. he denied it was a petrol station, put on my records i had agreed to apply for the job and gave me the information... which states 'somerfield stockbridge forecourt' so it IS a petrol station. if the disability advisor can't guarentee i wont have to deal with him again then i'll go on ESA on grounds i can't cope with signing on. i got 98 points on that test, but dont hold out much hope as i've heard its tricky to get through and i dont have a very good experience of DWP medicals

Edited by NobbyNobbs

Hi Nobbynobs,

Could you ask your DEA if he/she will sign you on, or at least find another person to deal with you, who is not confrontational ?

It's good that your support worker has witnessed this and she is right to lodge a complaint.

Nobby Nobbs

make sure you apply for that job as now its on your record. If you dont will have benefits cut off for months/ 6 months/ 1yr.

And dont do so a poor application either as they check up to make sure your application was reasonable and not spolit. If you get interview dont mess it up as they ring up and check your performance. If deliberatley failed will cut off benefits.

I got benefit cut off as interview details were posted to wrong adress, Building was unoccuppied. and despites rounds of writings with the "decesion maker" decesion was upheld to still keep benefits cut off. and futrther as benefits were cut off had to pay voluntary national insurnace contibutions myself as was no longer deemed on benefits...

There decesion was final the decesion maker is final. It was stated i could have contatced employer to see if i had got interview and would have found out that way regardless of letter being sent wrong addresss. The employer refused not to refund me lost benefits either as was human error.

so be parnoid an check check cover your back in every situation or they will try any loop hole not to pay your benefits.

any verbal interviews on telephone face 2 with with employers record for evidence as employers are not bothered if your getting benefit cut off they wont help you

Edited by jon79

Hi Nobbynobs,

Could you ask your DEA if he/she will sign you on, or at least find another person to deal with you, who is not confrontational ?

It's good that your support worker has witnessed this and she is right to lodge a complaint.

Well done for taking your support worker with you! Good luck in getting transferred over to ESA.

Nobby Nobbs

make sure you apply for that job as now its on your record. If you dont will have benefits cut off for months/ 6 months/ 1yr.

And dont do so a poor application either as they check up to make sure your application was reasonable and not spolit. If you get interview dont mess it up as they ring up and check your performance. If deliberately failed will cut off benefits.

I got benefit cut off as interview details were posted to wrong address, Building was unoccupied. and despite rounds of writings with the "decision maker" decision was upheld to still keep benefits cut off. and further as benefits were cut off had to pay voluntary national insurance contributions myself as was no longer deemed on benefits...

There decision was final the decision maker is final. It was stated i could have contacted employer to see if i had got interview and would have found out that way regardless of letter being sent wrong address. The employer refused not to refund me lost benefits either as was human error.

so be paranoid an check check cover your back in every situation or they will try any loop hole not to pay your benefits.

any verbal interviews on telephone face 2 with with employers record for evidence as employers are not bothered if your getting benefit cut off they wont help you

Have you tried going on ESA Joh79?

that was about 5yr ago that incident...i work full time now so dont claim benefits

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Back from holiday and panicking since I have to sign on in morning but dont know what to do/ask about ESA and its a just over a month till my New Deal placement so worried they will force me into somewhere that I am not ready for plus I want to move away from area anyway though I should as the place is back where I had a fantastic DEA and who wanted to put me on a course for people with disabilities such as autism.

Arrrgh woke up 9am to ring them but they have changed there regular 01 number to a 0845 number(which is terrible as what if I only had a mobile) then got put on hold to speak to a centralised switch board, got through to a staff member at local JC who had no details of my rearranged sign on time of today and said I was put down as non attending and have to fill out forms to go to a decision maker!

Which is complete BS because when I went in to fill out the holiday form they rearranged my advisor interview at same time and they have record of my interview being changed!

I told everyone before this is a bad jobcentre!

Now is a good time to apply for ESA since you have had your JSA cancelled. i would write an official letter of compliant to the jobcentre. I've had similar problems with my jobcentre claiming my DEA isn't there when she is.

i would put something along the lines of

Top right your address

left under your address their address

then your national insurance number.

Dear Manager,

i am extremely upset and distressed by the treatment i have received at your establishment recently.

i had an authorised holiday from (put in dates) to (date) which i informed the jobcentre about (date and time or approximate time).

i was shocked to discover that my JSA has been stopped due to "non attendance" when i was lead to believe it was authorised.

Please explain to me what's happened as i strongly disagree with this decision.

regards

(your name)

Now is a good time to apply for ESA since you have had your JSA cancelled. i would write an official letter of compliant to the jobcentre. I've had similar problems with my jobcentre claiming my DEA isn't there when she is.

i would put something along the lines of

Top right your address

left under your address their address

then your national insurance number.

Dear Manager,

i am extremely upset and distressed by the treatment i have received at your establishment recently.

i had an authorised holiday from (put in dates) to (date) which i informed the jobcentre about (date and time or approximate time).

i was shocked to discover that my JSA has been stopped due to "non attendance" when i was lead to believe it was authorised.

Please explain to me what's happened as i strongly disagree with this decision.

regards

(your name)

Just rang back up and was told I def had an appointment at 11am and it shows up right away and theres no record of me ringing this morning to check but it wont be a problem though I am worried since I have cancelled appointments in the past it may show as me just not attending and causing problems in the future.

If you are ringing from a sky phone line you can prove you made the phone call. i did that when trying to get an insurance company

to stop demanding money off me when they told me "your policy has been cancelled" the phone call recording was lost so i got a black

mark on my record :huh: i wont ever bother with u switch again!

You stated you used your mobile?So I would go to the local JC and show them your phone,they can hardly argue if the evidence is in front them.

Just read your post again.I am a little confused,sorry.If your sign on was rescheduled for today why didnt they give you a card or letter to tell you the time,especially if you have trouble remembering this info?

So prehaps the lady(?) thought you were cancelling as you have done so before,a case of mis communication?