AdamJ

Does anyone else hate telephones?

I really dislike speaking on the phone. As soon as my phone rings, my anxiety rises. I often just let it go to voicemail but that's even worse because I invariably have to phone the caller back and so it just prolongs my anxiety until I summon the courage to call back.

Also, I detest pointless chit-chat and I will avoid it to the point of sounding rude by giving one-word answers or by saying nothing at all, resulting in long silences. My mother doesn't use text or email so she calls me a few times a week to check I'm ok. I'm grateful for her support and I don't want to tell her not to call me but I know it sounds to her like I can't wait for the call to end.

Does anyone else relate to this?

Thanks,

Adam

I do - and I'm NT :)

The phone is terribly rude - it's like standing next to someone and shouting TALK TO ME TALK TO ME TALK TO ME until they stop whatever they are doing and talk to you! i know its always a bad time when people call me and assume that its a bad time if i have to call them. i much prefer text or email, or actually talking to someone:)

One of the best things about working from home for a couple of years is that I learned to ignore my phone (once they knew i worked from home, people thought they could call me 24/7!). All my family know that I'll only collect voicemail once a day, and the chances are they'll get an email back anyway.

lucky we live in the 21st century and there are other alternatives really:) I made my mother sign up to facebook LOL

Edited by KezT

I do - and I'm NT :)

The phone is terribly rude - it's like standing next to someone and shouting TALK TO ME TALK TO ME TALK TO ME until they stop whatever they are doing and talk to you! i know its always a bad time when people call me and assume that its a bad time if i have to call them. i much prefer text or email, or actually talking to someone:)

One of the best things about working from home for a couple of years is that I learned to ignore my phone (once they knew i worked from home, people thought they could call me 24/7!). All my family know that I'll only collect voicemail once a day, and the chances are they'll get an email back anyway.

lucky we live in the 21st century and there are other alternatives really:) I made my mother sign up to facebook LOL

I am the same,I am NT.Actually I dont mind answering the phone too much,but tend to answer my mobile more as I can see who is calling,my brother and I have a "ring three times" system so we know its each other calling,he doesnt answer cause of his communication problems he literally cannot talk on the phone,but if its me or our mum its fine.

I cannot make calls though to the point where I write down what I say and even reherse it before making the call :wacko:

I'll answer the phone, its no big deal for me, i have a mobile phone on contract and i much prefer to talk to someone over the phone than text or email, as i can pick up emotions in whats being said, which i can't do when i read a screen of text.

i have this problem but only with people i dont know very well. It is helped that i have some stock phrases used for ending the conversation.

Yeah, I'm AS and I hate the phone too, and if it wasn't for work I would quite happily live without one. Unfortunately I am pretty much always on call, so I need to have my mobile on me at all times. Thankfully myself and all my collegues got Blackberry's though, so I can email them with quite long and detailed messages instead of phoning a lot of the time :)

I hate the phone it brings on anxious for me,

i am ok with my mum, nanna, boyfriend, and my friend jenna.

other then that i find it very diffcuite for me to cope with.

For me I can't remember anything I hear on the phone, I don't really make personal phone calls unless they are for very quick information. Personal calls usually mean my clarifying where someone is and what time we are to meet (although I'll generally know this already). Phonecalls in my work are so difficult...it makes things difficult as I generally ask the person to repeat what they've said as my mind just doesn't process the information quick enough and at a second time it often does not process it. I much prefer e-mails or texts even though people think they're impersonal it doesn't bother me, if you want a personal conversation you must speak to the person face to face.