lizj

Carer's Allowance

I am just curious to know: do parents on here whose children receive DLA claim Carer's Allowance too?

I know we are entitled to it, but have never made a claim because I have this feeling that I don't want benefits for being a mother and looking after my own son.

On the other hand, it has been almost impossible to go to work since he was born, and the money would be very useful.

What are your thoughts. Should I claim it or not, and why?

Hello lizj :)

I claim Carer's Allowance in addition to the DLA for my son. I understand what you mean about not wanting to claim for looking after your own child.

My feeling, however, is that I am restricted in what hours I can work because of my son's needs, and so my earning potential is decreased. Also, you should never underestimate the extra pressures you face in looking after a child with ASD.

My other reason was that I have spent 20-odd years contributing to the Government's coffers, so why shouldn't I get something back :ph34r:

Hope that helps >:D<<'>

I work full time so am unable to clam.

My wife has made a claim and was awarded it. However as she gets Incapacity Benefit, she is not payed the Cares allowance as you cannot get both at the same time.

She has what is called an underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance.

As far as I can remember claiming was quite straightforward. I thing we did it on line.

Carers Allowance is a taxable income, getting it may also affect any Tax Credit, housing benefit and any other income based benefit you may get.

Edited by chris54

You accept child benefit - (till Cameron takes it off you :rolleyes: !) do you feel guilty about that?

Definitely claim it: parents incur extra expenses looking after a child with additional needs, for all the reasons discussed on the DLA thread. It can be backdated but I think only for the last 6 months (someone correct me if I'm wrong?)so you would get a nice lump sum at the beginning.

I did get it but had to stop in the last year when I got a new job which took me over the earnings limit.

K x

I gave up my career a couple of years ago to care for my sons (I had worked for 15yrs previous to this, from leaving school). I claimed carers allowance after I got DLA for my youngest son, who had just been diagnosed. My childcare had fell through, and because of their needs was unable to find a better solution to the problem than giving up my job. Claiming carers allowance meant I was able to also claim on the PPI insurance thing to get my mortgage paid for a year. This was a relief as I did not have to worry about mortgage/ insurance etc for a year afterwards, and this was my main reason for claiming it at first, but it has helped us a lot since then!

I also agree with Nicky, because of my childrens needs I am restricted as to what hours/ times I can work (as you say you are), and indeed I have paid into the system for a long time, as has my husband.

I also do some voluntary work while the kids are at school. This gives me something worthwhile to do and I feel contributes back to society whilst also allowing me the flexibility to be at home in the holidays, or if they are ill etc. This has also been of benefit as it has kept my skills up to date and I am hoping at some point in the future to get a part time, term time role (and hope the kids never get ill!)and not be claiming any more.

How much would it cost for a paid worker to carry out all the duties you/ we do? Much more than £53 a week I suspect....It the same thing as caring for an adult who is ill or has a disability (I also care for my mum). whether they are your child/ mum/ dad/ spouse/ other family member you are doing such a lot that would cost a fortune, should you go to work rather than look after them. I think that carers play a very important role in society.

Carer's allowance counts as taxable income, so it will need to be declared to the tax credits as an income, and (not being sure of your circumstances, and may be useful to someone else too) if you have a working partner who is of an lower income level meaning you can get working tax credit, and therefore things like free courses/ prescriptions etc then this extra bit of income may affect that and the loss of tax credit and benefits like prescriptions, meals etc may be more than the carers allowance. I would personally go to citizens advice or credit union and get some advice on how this may affect other income if you think you may fall into this category.

Hope this helps!

Edited by westie

I also do some voluntary work while the kids are at school. This gives me something worthwhile to do and I feel contributes back to society whilst also allowing me the flexibility to be at home in the holidays, or if they are ill etc. This has also been of benefit as it has kept my skills up to date and I am hoping at some point in the future to get a part time, term time role (and hope the kids never get ill!)and not be claiming any more.

I also did this throughout the time I couldn't work, as it's always been important to me to contribute to my wider community. And when my son went to residential school it was this voluntary experience with a local charity for children with special needs (plus being a brown owl :ph34r::o ) that helped me get my present job :thumbs:

I didn't hesitate to claim Carers Allowance until my son went to residential school as I simply couldn't work as his primary carer, but equally I didn't hesitate to get a part-time job as soon as he did.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

hi i have just started recieveing careers allowance,and yes to begin with thought how can i get paid for looking after my dd of 14 seemed silly,but saying that she doesnt go to school so she is at home 24/7,i work self employed from home but if she were at school i could get a full time job and earn more so i decided to go for it.took about 2 weeks i applied online and then got a phone call saying it had been accepted and they will backdate for 3 months( nice lump sum especilayy with xmas loomimg)all i have to do id if my wages go up substantially i have to let them know,and thats £53.50 per week,i then phoned tax credit yesterday and although its taxable they say it wont affect tax credits this year and just include it in total income at next review next year.yes i do feel guilty taking it but it also gives me a bit extra to be able to get things for dd to do whilst at home as she only gets 1 hour of education a week!so my advise is apply on line and go for it,good luck.

regards julia :thumbs:

I claim carers and I don't feel guilty about it. I always worked pre-kids, and even between the two I went back part time but haven't been able to since I had L. I paid taxes, my H pays taxes so I figure we're entitled to it. And, I know everyone looks after their own child, but there's no disputing that most of ours take a lot more looking after than your standard child.

I've wanted to go back to work since he started school but wrap around care for special needs children just doesn't exist here so it hasn't been possible. I have just started a job this last week which I'm delighted about as it's for an autism support charity, but it's only 10 hours a week, term time only so I'll earn under the carers threshold.

Lynne x