Karen A

Attendance

I am looking for advice on what I should do if anything.

Ben had a run of genuine illness in the month leading up to half term.

He had an awful cold,a stomach bug and tonsillitis in three separate episodes in the course of a month.On three occasions I took him to school only for him to be sent home due to being unwell.

He ended up with attendance of 69 per cent in October.

He had laryngitis last week but managed to stay at school but now sounds as though he may be developing a chest infection.

Although when he had tonsillitis I talked to the GP he has not seen the GP because there was nothing the GP could prescribe because all of the illness is down to one virus or another.

School have now said that Ben has to attend attendance club.Whilst being clear it is not punishment they want Ben to improve his attendance.We also received a written letter to ''discuss our child's attendance'' [although I did think discussion involved a dialogue :rolleyes: ].Ben is cross and wants to know how going to attendance club prevents him picking up bacteria or viruses.

I have spoken to the assistant head of learning this morning to emphasise that Ben has been ill.I also emphasised that on three occasions school sent him home after I had taken him in.However she insists that the rule on 85 percent applies to all children whatever the reason.I also explained that he is chesty now and may well not be well enough to be at school again in the next few days.I will not take him to school with a chest infection so that he can be sent home after registration just to reach school targets.However the letter states attendance will be moitored on a daily basis.

The letter says that the school aim to improve Ben's academic performance through the attendance initiative which I find amusing since even with 69 percent attendance his teacher was finding it difficult to set academic targets on Friday because he is so far ahead of his peers in many subjects.In the subjects where he is behind he is not getting the provision documented in his Statement. :hypno::hypno:

I have checked ACE myself and it appears that only school can authorise Ben being off due to illness.So I am wondering whether I need to start and get a letter from the GP ?

I am reaching the point where I think I may make an appointment with the GP anyway.He hardly had a day off last year.I know there have been lots of bugs going round but he appears to be getting rather a lot of them.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Schools are leaned on to improve attendance and to show what steps they are taking to tackle it, hence the letter, but if a child's ill, he's ill, what can you do??

Still, if the school wanted to get difficult they do have the power to pursue it further, so you need to be able to show that for each and every absence there was a genuine reason for it. Presumably you contact the school on all these occasions, so keep notes of calls, emails etc - including this morning's call which you might also want to follow up with a note confirming what you said.

Some schools insist on a doctor's letter as evidence every time a child is absent but doctors get cross about being bothered every time and sometimes refuse to supply it - so the poor parent is caught in the middle! It's not always appropriate to drag a sick child to the surgery every time, but as Ben haven't seen your GP for a while it might be a good idea just to get the school off your back.

K x

If all his attendances are AUTHORISED Absences there isnt a lot the school can do, they need to be targeting the parents with UNAUTHORISED Absences, if he is poorly he is poorly, there isnt much anyone can do, I hate it when kids turn up at school ill, because then there is more chance more kids can become ill. I recently had a plumber turn up and he was spluttering and coughing his entire guts up, I was like couldnt you of stayed in bed, Im fit and healthy, but an elderly lady it could put them in hospital.

The school are targeting the wrong parent and kid.

JsMumx

Hi Karen

I would say get the letter from the GP anyway.Also if he had any meds before and you still got the box keep that as well as it will be dated.

Josh has always had 95-98% attendance for each year, he doesnt miss more than 10 days. However he has already missed 9 days, 6 of which were within the first month of returning to school after summer! He also has had numerous bugs and a chest infection that went on for almost 1.5 mths!

Its just one of those things,so annoying!!!!

If all his attendances are AUTHORISED Absences there isnt a lot the school can do, they need to be targeting the parents with UNAUTHORISED Absences, if he is poorly he is poorly, there isnt much anyone can do, I hate it when kids turn up at school ill, because then there is more chance more kids can become ill. I recently had a plumber turn up and he was spluttering and coughing his entire guts up, I was like couldnt you of stayed in bed, Im fit and healthy, but an elderly lady it could put them in hospital.

The school are targeting the wrong parent and kid.

JsMumx

It is unfortunate that the law does not appear to see it that way.I checked ACE web site myself to clarify.Authorised abscence is authorised by the school.A parent cannot by the rules authorise abscence.So I am in the somewhat strange situation where I cannot authorise my children to be off sick even though I was a qualified community health nurse with years experience but the teacher with responsibility for attendance can.

I have explained this morning that Ben may well be developing a chest infection.If he does get to school over the next few days I will now be making sure that if I get called to collect him that she has seen him first and documented that he is being sent home.

It is unfortunate.The teacher says that parents do phone to say their children are ill when they are not.I know it is true because I know pupils took time off the other day when the new x box game came out....and they were in year 10.However as always it makes it diffficult for everyone else. :angry:

Schools are leaned on to improve attendance and to show what steps they are taking to tackle it, hence the letter, but if a child's ill, he's ill, what can you do??

Still, if the school wanted to get difficult they do have the power to pursue it further, so you need to be able to show that for each and every absence there was a genuine reason for it. Presumably you contact the school on all these occasions, so keep notes of calls, emails etc - including this morning's call which you might also want to follow up with a note confirming what you said.

Some schools insist on a doctor's letter as evidence every time a child is absent but doctors get cross about being bothered every time and sometimes refuse to supply it - so the poor parent is caught in the middle! It's not always appropriate to drag a sick child to the surgery every time, but as Ben haven't seen your GP for a while it might be a good idea just to get the school off your back.

K x

Thanks.

I always phone.However school do not ask for a note.Perhaps I will start and do as Sally does and confirm everything by Email so that I have evidence.

I wouldn't mind but one of the teachers Emailed me work for Ben to do at home while ill.

School send him home,I encourage him to do work as requested,I miss my gym time while he is off,I then get into trouble for not sending him in. :blink::blink::devil:

I think I probably will take Ben to the GP.They can then document in the record that he has a virus and does not require anti-biotics whilst he will have spread his bugs round more people.

The SENCO told me staff sickness was high last term with chest-infections including the SENCO I wonder why. :blink::blink:

I can only speculate.However I wonder if recent events in school might have triggered a serious case review.

You might have more idea than myself but I wonder whether this in turn might trigger an early OFSTED inspection.Hence school wanting to be seen to be on the ball with attendance which was an issue in previous OFSTEDS.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I don't know Karen - it's possible I suppose - I'm not sure what circumstances would trigger an Ofsted. It's possible the school feels under greater scrutiny and wants to be seen to be doing everything by the book.

K x

just before leaving the academy school my daughters attendance was 51% all but 9 [4 1/2days] were authorised ,the unauthorised time was because someone in attendance decided that 1 week was enough time to "get over" diagnosed stress! i blew a fuse and requested confirmation that that person had some form of mental health qualification needless to say they didnt.thank god she is now in a better school and her attendance is 100% now.

As a School Attndance Oficer, I can shed some light on the issues ;)

Schools are required to send details of all students below 85% to the gov't - and they don't like doing that :( So they try hard to keep attendance above that figure whenever possible. From the Gov't PoV there is no diference between authorised and unauthorised attendance. That is just for the school to keep track beter :whistle:

I would DEFINITELY recommend going to your GP. At the meeting they will want as much info as poss and it is true that a lot of parents lie :shame: The meeting is to guage the parents as much as anything. If you work with the school & keep them informed they are unlikely to take any further action.

As Ben has a dx, and if you can get all medical stuff documented,it might be worth asking about a reduced timetable or dual learning - these mean that he would be scheduled out of school for specific lessons, but still recieve a present mark as it is all agreed in advance (he does have to do school work during that time - or at least keep up with his studies to their satisfation :lol: ) This is useful for example if he gets very tired and therefore prone to pick up viruses or have problems. Its not much good if it is just ththe picks things up as that is not really foreseeable.

Thankyou all for the advice. :thumbs:

Ben also learned from attendance club that a target of 85per cent is needed for attendance to be monitored less closely.

He learned that some pupils take time off because they do not like things at school.He came across others at attendance club who are at school even less than him. :rolleyes:

We have always expected 100 percent attendance in our house for people who are not ill or do not have another authorised reason for not being in school.

It took Ben until 1530 yesterday to use all of the information learned at attendance club and demonstrate his maths is not bad either.He suggested that he would prefer not to be in school on Thursday and could still reach the 85per cent target. :shame::shame::shame::shame::o:lol:

Thankyou all for the advice. :thumbs:

Ben also learned from attendance club that a target of 85per cent is needed for attendance to be monitored less closely.

He learned that some pupils take time off because they do not like things at school.He came across others at attendance club who are at school even less than him. :rolleyes:

We have always expected 100 percent attendance in our house for people who are not ill or do not have another authorised reason for not being in school.

It took Ben until 1530 yesterday to use all of the information learned at attendance club and demonstrate his maths is not bad either.He suggested that he would prefer not to be in school on Thursday and could still reach the 85per cent target. :shame::shame::shame::shame::o :lol:

to really play the system, he should go in for registration then bunk off. the gov't only monitors registration atendance :rolleyes: (although the school and EMA monitor the whole lot)

to really play the system, he should go in for registration then bunk off. the gov't only monitors registration atendance :rolleyes: (although the school and EMA monitor the whole lot)

School had a consultation day last Friday.As staff were doing consultations students were not in school except for a ten minute-half hour consultation.I think turning up for these in uniform counted as school attendance.

Similarly students are sent home at 1355 at the end of each term......1350 being afternoon registration. :)

School had a consultation day last Friday.As staff were doing consultations students were not in school except for a ten minute-half hour consultation.I think turning up for these in uniform counted as school attendance.

Similarly students are sent home at 1355 at the end of each term......1350 being afternoon registration. :)

In some areas of our mainstream schools, some leave at 2pm on Fridays, there was talk not long ago that all schools would close Friday afternoons. So only Friday AMs.

One school in the UK have also extended there morning attendance, by letting students sleep in until 9am with registration starting at 10am, I actually think its cool idea as already Im having difficulties getting J up earlier in the mornings, its said that teenagers need to lie in, for optimal learning later in the day, apparently.

So extending days and afternoons knocked off that 89percent is going be pretty easy to achieve.

JsMumx

I think covering yourself by going to the GP is the best option.

Obviously GPs are not going to like it if you need to ask for a letter daying "xxx has a virus and should be off school eventhough he does not need antibiotics", etc , but what else can you do??

I agree that attendance should be kept up, but also I don't see the point of spreading illness amongst everyone and returning children to school when they are not really well enough.

I will give my children ibuprofen and/or calpol and send them in if they have a cold. But if they have a fever then I keep them home until it is normal for at least 24 hours.

During a bout of head lice, I was told by the TA that I MUST treat my son with one of the pharmaceutical treatments otherwise they would not let him return to school. Having some knowledge on the life cycle of lice you can easily get rid of them by using hair conditioner with an organic insecticide and use a lice comb every 2nd or 3rd day. This has worked every time. There must be children who have them continually because he often gets reinfected. I now use the comb every time he has a bath and then pick up an adult louse almost immediately.

But it surprised me that 'school policy' was to send children home with lice!

I also went through a period of about 3 months when my son was virtually reduced to a 3-day week because he was vomitting in school due to anxiety and stress. Every time school policy was to send him home for 48 hours. When I tried to send him back in because he was not ill the SENCO said she was not prepared to be "put at risk" by being in close contact with my son.

I had to go to the GP and get referred to the childrens' hospital for a consultant to check him over and write a letter saying that there was nothing wrong with him and that stress and anxiety should always be considered and that he should not be sent home if he was sick once.

It seems to me that common sense has flown the nest, and the result is an arduous paper chase to prove and explain your actions.

Edited by Sally44

Thanks Karen, glad I am not alone in dealing with (and not feeling bad about following the party line) idiotic school policies in regard to absenteeism.

During a bout of head lice, I was told by the TA that I MUST treat my son with one of the pharmaceutical treatments otherwise they would not let him return to school. Having some knowledge on the life cycle of lice you can easily get rid of them by using hair conditioner with an organic insecticide and use a lice comb every 2nd or 3rd day. This has worked every time. There must be children who have them continually because he often gets reinfected. I now use the comb every time he has a bath and then pick up an adult louse almost immediately.

But it surprised me that 'school policy' was to send children home with lice!

I am also surprised, as round here staff are not allowed to say anything. If a letter goes out, it is to everyone in the class and is non-specific. A TA is not medically qualified to advise how to treat lice.

I am also surprised, as round here staff are not allowed to say anything. If a letter goes out, it is to everyone in the class and is non-specific. A TA is not medically qualified to advise how to treat lice.

I've just had a phone call from Tom's school complaining that he has head lice and needs to deal with them.

Uh...I know he has, I told the school 3 days ago that I'd found them in his hair and treated him AGAIN - about the fifth time this school year. Today they have finally got around to sending out a nit letter, and now they're blaming him!

It's a nightmare cos he has sensory issues with his hair: he hates having his hair touched, normal combing is a huge battle each day and he point-blank refuses to have it cut (it's now shoulder length and would be longer if I didn't occasionally trim it a little while he's asleep). He will lock himself in the toilet for hours if I so much as mention the nit comb. I have had to bribe him with rewards and do a little at a time over several hours (which probably defeats the object as they probably scurry from one side to the other :tearful: ). It leaves both of us exhausted. I've explained that having shorter hair would help, but that freaks him out even more.

I've tried chemicals, conditioner, tea tree, oil. Numerous combs. He's got tons of hair and its very fine, so the eggs just slide under the comb and have to be picked out :( Finally I get him clear, manage to hold him down long enough to comb him again 3 days later, clear, then within a week he's picked up more. He gets so distressed at the thought of combing (he doesn't mind the lice, calls them his 'pets' :sick:) it is horrible. And obviously others in the class aren't treating or he wouldn't pick them up again. Should I persist or tell the school to go bother someone else?

Helen

I've just had a phone call from Tom's school complaining that he has head lice and needs to deal with them.

Uh...I know he has, I told the school 3 days ago that I'd found them in his hair and treated him AGAIN - about the fifth time this school year. Today they have finally got around to sending out a nit letter, and now they're blaming him!

It's a nightmare cos he has sensory issues with his hair: he hates having his hair touched, normal combing is a huge battle each day and he point-blank refuses to have it cut (it's now shoulder length and would be longer if I didn't occasionally trim it a little while he's asleep). He will lock himself in the toilet for hours if I so much as mention the nit comb. I have had to bribe him with rewards and do a little at a time over several hours (which probably defeats the object as they probably scurry from one side to the other :tearful: ). It leaves both of us exhausted. I've explained that having shorter hair would help, but that freaks him out even more.

I've tried chemicals, conditioner, tea tree, oil. Numerous combs. He's got tons of hair and its very fine, so the eggs just slide under the comb and have to be picked out :( Finally I get him clear, manage to hold him down long enough to comb him again 3 days later, clear, then within a week he's picked up more. He gets so distressed at the thought of combing (he doesn't mind the lice, calls them his 'pets' :sick:) it is horrible. And obviously others in the class aren't treating or he wouldn't pick them up again. Should I persist or tell the school to go bother someone else?

Helen

When treating head lice the whole family has to have the treatment.Also all linen needs to be washed thoroughly,if he is using the same pillow you will only be going around in circles.If you have fabric sofas and carpets you need to get someone in to deep clean it,then he may be nit/lice free.

When treating head lice the whole family has to have the treatment.Also all linen needs to be washed thoroughly,if he is using the same pillow you will only be going around in circles.If you have fabric sofas and carpets you need to get someone in to deep clean it,then he may be nit/lice free.

Thanks Justine, I do treat all the family (except hubby who is almost bald -- nowhere for them to hide :lol:). I have given up on washing/dry cleaning pillows and duvets, each time he (or one of the others) gets them I just buy cheap new ones and wash all the bed linen on hottest possible wash - and towels. Thankfully we have leather furniture and wooden floors so that's one less expense :dance:

Its the friends he's getting them from: some of the parents freely admit to have stopped bothering even with wetcombing as lice are so endemic in the school. I spoke to two of them since getting the phonecall and neither of them has had a call, even though they admit their kids currently have lice. I think it's a bit unfair we're being blamed just because Tom's hair is long and often messy.

What I really need is info and tips from anyone whose child has major sensory issues with their hair who has had to convince them into being treated and convince the school that it's not as easy as 'get his hair cut short', which is what they are suggesting.

Meanwhile I've conditioned and clingfilmed us all and told them not to answer the door :whistle:

Helen

Edited by tom'smom

Thanks Justine, I do treat all the family (except hubby who is almost bald -- nowhere for them to hide :lol:). I have given up on washing/dry cleaning pillows and duvets, each time he (or one of the others) gets them I just buy cheap new ones and wash all the bed linen on hottest possible wash - and towels. Thankfully we have leather furniture and wooden floors so that's one less expense :dance:

Its the friends he's getting them from: some of the parents freely admit to have stopped bothering even with wetcombing as lice are so endemic in the school. I spoke to two of them since getting the phonecall and neither of them has had a call, even though they admit their kids currently have lice. I think it's a bit unfair we're being blamed just because Tom's hair is long and often messy.

What I really need is info and tips from anyone whose child has major sensory issues with their hair who has had to convince them into being treated and convince the school that it's not as easy as 'get his hair cut short', which is what they are suggesting.

Meanwhile I've conditioned and clingfilmed us all and told them not to answer the door :whistle:

Helen

I agree that it doesnt sound fair,if they only targeting you.I dont have any suggestions with hair cutting but I know there is some somewhere on the forum I have come across it more than once in the past,try under help and advice or general discussion.

None of my four boys have ever had lice,whether their haid has been long or short.They all had their very first hair cut age 1,family tradition,so I think they used to it now.Sam used to wriggle and scream blue murder but we used to let him hold a lolly pop and said he can only open it once we finished,it seemed to work most of the time.

Now at age 7 he happily accepts it has to be done,just like bathing and brushing teeth,none of which he likes doing!

I remember as a youngster myself something vaguely similar happening to me - I had my ear pierced at the age of 10 and was told that I had to take it out as boys were not allowed to have them in school - but it was acceptable for girls.

My mother played up about discrimination and I got to keep the earring.

Are the girls told to cut their hair short?

Are the girls told to cut their hair short?

No! And his isn't even long enough to tie back, just below collar length thanks to my late-night snipping. Maybe I should send him in tomorrow in the clingfilm? With a box over the head to keep the other kids at a distance? Unclean! Unclean!! :devil:

I must admit, considering how he dislikes anyone getting close to him and rarely plays with anyone at school it is a mystery to me how he picks them up so often, especially as I've drummed it into him not to touch heads with anyone. He does do circuit exercises each morning at school on mats with a group of other kids so maybe the lice are getting onto the mats? :sick:

Helen