Sign in to follow this  
bid

It's Chrrrrrristmasssss!!!

Thought I would start a seasonal thread!!

Just cleaning the house ready for the Christmas tree going up tomorrow :thumbs:

Sadly the infamous Nun's Christmas Partay at work is no more due to the credit crunch, but out for a Night Staff meal next Monday with some fab sparklie surprises in store!!

How are your festive preparations getting on?!

Bid :dance:

Edited by bid

Cleaning the house but nothing up. DS1 dislikes the changes, so much so he's ran away when we put the tree up' before so we're waiting. Went up the day before Xmas eve last year. Not even bought much yet, must get something done

I still have some presents to get, but I know what I want to get, so I think it will be OK.

I had some work done in my house yesterday and the tree would have got in the way. I will probably put it up this weekend.

Our tree went up at the very beginning of December. I like when everything is Christmassy (the lights and suchlike, although I find them too distracting if they're flashing but we don't have ours set to flash). I struggle more with everything being de-Christmasified. If I had my own place I reckon I'd end up leaving them up all year round to avoid that change.

I love it when people start putting up their lights. :)

We put our tree up on the 1st. I agreed to this on condition I didn't have to do it myself! It looks nice, tastefully decorated by L, but the cat is trying to eat it and bat the baubles off, as usual. :rolleyes: We don't stay at home for Christmas so it's nice to make the house look Christmassy for as long as possible.

Work Christmas lunch next week at a London hotel - alas not the Ritz - but should be good.

I have a bought a Christmas cake (not just a cake, an M&S cake :) )which I'm going to ice myself, so I am only half cheating.

Shopping well underway - courtesy of Amazon mostly. Just waiting for deliveries now.

Preparing for carol service next week as well - a bit of respite amid the mayhem.

K x

bid the Christmas tree going up tomorrow

Is this the 12 days before christmas tradition, I do this toox

we have cleaned the coal fire out, waiting for coal, were getting some new outdoor icecle lights as last years bust, but icecle lights outside look really nice.

We are either getting a new christmas tree, or depending on funds where gonna use old traditional five foot christmas tree.

We buy a chritmas tree decoration every year to mark the season so Josh can transition to the changes, we have respite this year too, which will be a change too as last christmas we didnt get it, its his third placement due to other placements not suiting to Js peer group but were hoping this time it is better suited to Js needs.

We have bought some new chrissy decs and were going to Hobby craft to buy the letter Merry Christmas and where going to decorate them and place them in the lounge wall.

We are going for a cozy christmas feel this year.

Real Log fire, lights, and quilts, with evenings watching the chrissy films, eating mince pies and shortbread.

I was hoping for a WHITE christmas but here in sunny east england the snow is thawing so it looks like its not so.

Well I do wish everyone here a merry christmas as it is certainly a challenge but also exciting.

JsMumx

When I was a child no decorations went up until Christmas eve. Think this has as much to do with my parents being to busy as anything else. We never put any decorations up more than a week befor Christmas, and they always come down on twelfth night. Will be mucking out the house over the next week ready, Well its nice to see the carpets for a few days of the year before they disappear under the next lot of flotsam and jetsam.

I will be working my normal rota over christmas and new year, which for me this year works out the I dont work christmas eve, christmas day, or new years eve (Nights that is) so its not bad at all.

I try to keep the enthusiasm going for the sake of others but I cant say it means all that much to me.

Edited by chris54

I managed to get some presents today. Have got the most awkward people sorted!

I still haven't got the tree up though.

I've never had such an un-christmassy christmas! Dunno what it is, but even the boy seems largely unexcited by it all this year (which is probably the reason why I've not got the festive spirit yet)...

I dug the tree out Saturday, but we both decided it was looking a bit jaded and we'd go for a new one, but we couldn't find one we liked... So we'll buy the new one next w/e when we've got more time to hunt around, which'll be the latest my tree's gone up since he was born.

Guess it's just he's not a 'kid' anymore and there are no other 'kids' about :( (He's my height now and shows no signs of stopping, sp perhaps next year we can swap roles!) Hopefully he'll indulge me Christmas night by allowing me to put out a port and mince pie for S and a carrot for R, but i don't think i can be bothered with icing sugar footprints etc...

I hope others are getting all excited and Christmassy, and that we'll get there yet. Whatever peeps are doing and whatever ages the kids, have good ones!

L&P

BD :D

Well, our 7ft Christmas Ent went up on Saturday and decorated yesterday...love a dove dove that Christmas tree smell when I come in the house! :dance:

I was behind a bloke in Tesco earlier, clearly doing his Christmas shopping: 4 bottles of posh boxed scotch and 4 huge boxes of chocs - job done! And I thought 'I've gone wrong somewhere...' :lol:

Only low point is that #1 son is working over Christmas so won't get home until NY...but I'm sending him a 'Red Cross Christmas box' tomorrow, complete with filled stocking, pressies and some other little treats. And he's invited a mate round so I'm thinking they'll be having a great boozy lads' time on the day itself! ;)

Just seen online that apparently we're in for a white Christmas...and when that's all gone I'll be going onto the red!! :clap:

Bid (full of Christmas cheer despite working tonight!) :D

Edited by bid

We're all decorated :) Quite excited this year, Christmas has always been an 'event' in our house because of my daughter but this is the first year that Logan has shown any real interest - in fact we've been counting down to Santa for 3 months :S We're doing his advent calendar in reverse as he doesn't understand dates yet but does sleeps, so we started with 24 sleeps and will finish with 1 :D Works for him!!

Should be an interesting time to see how he copes with it all - he usually struggles in the holidays with no school schedule but we will see what with this new interest in all things Christmas :)

Lynne

I keep switching between feeling Christmassy and sort of... not. I think it's because we're not breaking up from school until a couple of days before, and while I'm still at work (I work in a school) Christmas seems far away.

However, I do always look forward to Christmas and love everything Christmassy. I'll be gutted when it's all over. It's getting more Christmassy at work, too. The Christmas Concert was today, and we're taking the kids to a pantomime, too. Not sure what years go on what days/times, but I'm going on Wednesday morning. It should be interesting, as I do one-to-one with an autistic boy. He's very severely affected and I can't imagine him sitting through the whole thing, tbh, but I'm just going to go with the flow, see what happens, and make sure he's okay. If need be we can leave early, even if we just end up sitting outside (I'm going to make sure I take some things with me for him in case we have to wait outside). He's very mischievous, so I'll have my work cut out, but at least it won't be boring! :)

I've not got the festive spirit yet

Well get down to Threshers, I hear they have some great deals this time of year! :wine::cheers::drunk:

the latest my tree's gone up since he was born.

Your tree was born? :unsure: That's weird - most trees grow from seed... :whistle:

I haven't been able to get out to do Christmas shopping so decided if I was going to rely on the Internet, I was going to have some fun. There are some amazingly tacky 'personalised' gifts available, but by making them ultra tacky and having a bit of fun with the personalisation, I've got some awesome things - normally I really worry about what to get people, but this was fun and I'm really looking forward to sharing them on Christmas Day. :D

Got a little sick of chocolate reindeer, so I've moved onto chocolate penguins - total cannibalisation! :eat::lol:

Your tree was born? :unsure: That's weird - most trees grow from seed... :whistle:

Twas a bl00dy and painful experience - them pine cones have sharp edges and the needles are the devil's own work...

Xmas spirit - well stocked on the liquid variety (used my Tesco vouchers and doubled them up so have a house full of their 'finest' collection!) but the Noddy Holder/Roy Wood/Jona Lewie stuff just isn't working yet.

Bah, erm... can't even be bothered to finish that... :lol:

L&P

Right!! That's everything done, except the fresh fruit and veg next Thursday :dance: So if we get snowed in we can still have Christmas lunch, even if it's with frozen veg :P

All of us finished for the hols now so let the good times begin :clap:

Just got to keep fingers crossed that the snow holds off for my work Christmas night out on Monday...

Bid :)

I never thought I'd say this but

LET IT NOT SNOW! :pray::pray:

At least not till the afternoon of the 25th when we will be safely eating turkey round the in-laws table. If we can't travel on that day it'll be cheese on toast at ours. :rolleyes:

And I'm still waiting for a couple of deliveries - Amazon have been excellent so far but another online retailer has given me the lukewarm assurance that I "should get my gifts in time for Christmas". Placed the order over a week ago. :wallbash::wallbash:

K x

If we can't travel on that day it'll be cheese on toast at ours. :rolleyes:

I think you might want to get the Worcestershire sauce in. :eat:

I never thought I'd say this but

LET IT NOT SNOW! :pray::pray:

At least not till the afternoon of the 25th when we will be safely eating turkey round the in-laws table. If we can't travel on that day it'll be cheese on toast at ours. :rolleyes:

And I'm still waiting for a couple of deliveries - Amazon have been excellent so far but another online retailer has given me the lukewarm assurance that I "should get my gifts in time for Christmas". Placed the order over a week ago. :wallbash::wallbash:

K x

I second that :pray:

I ordered presents two weeks ago and out of the 10 things I have received just 2 !!!I love snow,it looks so pretty and today we had all the birds rushing to get the berries off the tree at the bottom of the garden,it looked lovely.

Its going to be a cheap christmas for us,me being a student and all.One of my brothers has gone abroad with his family and he usually cooks,so not happy about that as I have to cook now! But he comes back for New Year so he can cook for us then. My dad and my other brother will come to mine for lunch.

I have to sort out my lecture notes as they all over the place since I moved 4 weeks ago and start my year 1 portfolio,so busy,busy,busy :D

I finally managed to put my tree up today. Looks all pretty now :)

I have a light sprinkling of snow. Please no more because I start my new job tomorrow!

Agggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Bl00dy, ******** snow!

Thought we'd get the jump on the snow and Christmas food shopping by going yesterday rather than today...

Left at about 1.30, with a very fine 'dust' of snowfall... Got out onto the main road just as what can only be described as a blizzard blew up, dumping about an inch of snow in the space of no more than five or ten minutes... It was so cold, though, that it froze on impact, leaving the roads sheet-ice. Decided not to turn round and head home, as was low on petrol, but changed plans from driving to our usual supermarket to a nearer one. Meant I would have to pay 'cash' rather than spending the vouchers I'd saved for crimbo, but under the circs. that seemed small tatas. Cutting to the chase, we got home at 8.30 last night, the return journey - all of five miles or so - having taken well over four hours. Absolute gridlock, which even the emergency services trying to attend the multitude of collisions couldn't get through at various points. I was stuck for around two hours on the steepest, longest hill for miles around, having to hill start repeatedly and and/or sit on the handbreak, moving forward in inches every time the car in front did to prevent the three lanes of traffic either side of me (a junction where two filter lanes from the town centre meet two filter lanes from the motorway exit, merging withing the space of 100yds or so to one of the busiest single lane roads outside of central London)jumping the queue. The smell of burning rubber from my clutch was absolutely terrifying, and I know I've got a walloping bill to look forward to sometime between now and New Year (weather permitting, of course, 'cos i've still got to reach the garage). Hairy, scarey stuff...

And we STILL haven't got a tree. Old tatty looking one will get a repreive this year and go up later. And damn Hugh Fernley Whittigstall's eyes - there's not a bit of celariac to be found for miles around since he sung its praises on TV the other night. Why can't these TV chefs keep their gobs shut? What with gastro pubs reinventing the cheaper cuts of meat we used to buy and the likes of Huge making various veg and fruit nobody would touch a year ago fashionable my shopping bill is going through the roof, and I can't find the stuff I want anyway! Bah freeking humbug.

That said, I appreciate that burnt out clutch and all we're at least in a better position than some. As this mornings flurries have evolved into four or five inches of the stuff I can see how the next few days are gonna be nightmarish for many while we're just confined to barracks.

Very best - hope you all get to the shops and back safely.

Dreaming of a White Christmas? Am I ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L&P

Edited by baddad

Blimey, BD, it's crazy, isn't it? Big DS gave up with the shool bus yesterday, and walked home. He got here at 6 o'clock :blink:

Thankfully, we managed to get through Christmas lunch at school yesterday - the food arrived just before the blizzard hit. Me and the kids are on holiday for Christmas now, but poor hubby is stuck somewhere between Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells (he left work 2 hours ago :o )

Big DS has his birthday on Monday, and his Grandad was going to come for the weekend - but now he can't make it :( Hopefully we can still get to the panto tomorrow :pray:

We have very little food left, as all my plans for getting the food shopping done yesterday were scuppered. I'm hoping we can get to a supermarket soon, otherwise it will be a rather unique Christmas dinner this year!

Merry Christmas the you all :D:party:

It's a nightmare out there...been snowing heavily since midday here...

Driving is really treacherous at the mo...12 days ago I hit black ice and rolled my car, writing it off :tearful: Luckily escaped with just minor cuts and bruises after the car slid gracefully along on its side before ending up on the roof! :wacko:

Take care to everyone who has to venture out!

Driving is really treacherous at the mo...12 days ago I hit black ice and rolled my car, writing it off :tearful: Luckily escaped with just minor cuts and bruises after the car slid gracefully along on its side before ending up on the roof! :wacko:

:o Glad you're okay. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I live on a hill. They've put a clear sign (well actually three clear signs) up saying road closed and there's men out in yellow jackets trying to get the traffic to turn around, but I've spent an entertaining afternoon watching several cars think they can manage the hill - most have slid down but generally not facing forwards :rolleyes:. I hate to think what the carnage at the bottom of the hill is like. :shame:

Sooo much snow, which is really unusual for London. Nice and warm inside, but wish I could go out and play. :tearful:

Bid, glad you weren't too hurt but it must have been scary. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I walked to the shops this afternoon and it was so beautiful - isn't it amazing how silent everything is? The Christmas lights on the snowy trees and bushes were especially pretty -funny how we try so hard to achieve that effect with artificial snow and cotton wool - nothing like the real thing.

I'm just so glad I didn't have much to do today, so I could just enjoy it. It's very disruptive for people who have to travel though, I appreciate that. I wonder how long it's going to continue?

K x

I'm happy enough with the snow.

A guy nearly slipped getting in his car, earlier, then he almost slid into our fence, then managed to spin around and end up nearly reversing into a neighbour's car, then wheelspun for ages when trying to drive away from the car. He eventually managed to get out of that predicament and turned around again, then got out of the car. We thought he was finally going to wipe the snow off his windows (yep, had left them covered, pretty much), but he just gave his wing mirrors a wipe. Then he got back in, managed to spin around a couple more times, before giving up and parking up again. Then he got out and just stared at his car for a bit. No harm was done, so I found it hilarious to watch. My brother found it more nerve wracking and was watching to make sure his car didn't get bumped.

It took my dad ages to drive home from Tesco this morning, but wasn't too bad getting back into town afterwards (and I managed to finish my christmas shopping, I think) or home again. The weather also meant that less people were out, which was brilliant.

Unfortunately work doesn't break up until Wednesday for me (even though all the rest of the schools round here are finished!).

It's on, it's on like Donkey Kong!! :dance::bounce:

Despite the snow, we're still going for our night staff Christmas meal tonight!! :partytime::wine:

Sparkle jeans here I come...

Bid :clap:

Be careful out there, Bid. :unsure:

Not at the party I mean - you can be as wild as you like once you're safely there. :D

Enjoy!

K x

Be careful out there, Bid. :unsure:

Not at the party I mean - you can be as wild as you like once you're safely there. :D

Enjoy!

K x

Heehee, I'm getting a lift, and it's only 5 mins up the road!

Will you be dressing up as a nun? :ph34r::whistle:

Sadly no, Mumble...the economic climate has put an end to our famed Nun's Christmas Partays :tearful:

On the plus side, work gave £10 per head for each unit who went out for their Christmas do, so tonight cost me the grand total of £6.50, as some people didn't come but their sub had already been paid!

Bid :wine:

Edited by bid

Sad the Nun's parties came to an end - just when you were getting into the habit. :P

Hope last night was good. :D

K x