Sign in to follow this  
RainbowsButterflies

Diagnosis!

I have just officially been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome which is a definite relief - it was nice to have found a possible answer, but much better to know it's the real one if that makes sense.

She has also identified things I wasn't aware of. I thought a had a reasonable understanding of my own feelings. My husband said something, and my response was something along the lines of 'OK.' She asked if it made me sad, and it didn't because it was just a fact and it would be pointless getting upset about it (although it was something I need to work on).

So, feeling much more positive. I think S is feeling happier to have some answers too. Next step is working out which bits need 'fixing' and how to do it, and which bits are just different rather than bad (hopefully more of these)

That's great!

It's certainly a cathartic experience - and gives you a real chance to get help(if it's needed)!

One thing I will say - things don't need to be fixed, just improved on :)

Congratulations it's Asperger syndrome. :D

I understands a reliefe but it maybe similair to how parents feel when there child is identided with ASD, you are relieved but you can go throw a grieving process too so do look after yourself, you have your past too to try and unravel where you where not diagnosed, you still had ASD but it wasnt identified so there is probably going to be some unsettlement there too, even anger, that you didnt get the understanding you maybe would of recieved if you had an identified difficulty.

I wish you the very best, there is no real fixing to do, that is societies job in accepting others who are different more, be you, be who you are, and be proud of the fact you are you and you have ASD.

JsMumx

How long did the assessment process take and what does it entail?

Charlie,

It took roughly two hours.

I needed to take someone who had know me for a long time - preferably since childhood. I have known my husband since we were 11 and we have been in a relationship since we were 16/17, so he came. My mum is dead, and my Dad is useless so parents were out. I also took a letter from my best friend from primary school (we lost touch when I left but found each other again via facebook a couple of years ago). She briefly looked at it, commented and then asked if she could keep it. I took my primary school reports as well - she looked at the first one, laughed, and commented and then asked if she could keep hold of them until after she wrote my full report.

The original plan was to do S's bit first, then mine so he could get back to work but it didn't quite work out like that. She explained the three areas she was looking at and then asked him some questions. The questions were quite difficult to answer and sometimes he misunderstood her and ended up talking about other difficulties as well.

We talked about routines and flexibility, understanding of verbal/non-verbal and written communication, understanding and responding to my own and other people's emotions. Understanding long term consequences, and seeing the bigger picture. She had me read a picture book (as in only 1 or two words not just a toddler book) and tell her what was happening and what was the moral of the story - that was horrible :(

There wasn't much that she identified that we (my husband and I) hadn't picked up on, except that it appears that I'm less aware of my own emotions than I thought - I can 'see' the big ones but not the subtleties, even in myself :(

Hope this helps x

I understands a reliefe but it maybe similair to how parents feel when there child is identided with ASD, you are relieved but you can go throw a grieving process too so do look after yourself, you have your past too to try and unravel where you where not diagnosed, you still had ASD but it wasnt identified so there is probably going to be some unsettlement there too, even anger, that you didnt get the understanding you maybe would of recieved if you had an identified difficulty.

I wish you the very best, there is no real fixing to do, that is societies job in accepting others who are different more, be you, be who you are, and be proud of the fact you are you and you have ASD.

JsMumx

Thank you.

To be honest, I think I've been through a lot of the grieving process - even without a label it should have been picked up at school or at home. My mum almost certainly had AS so she wouldn't have, and my dad said he knew but blathered about self-fulfilling prophecies (this is the same man he refused an EP diagnosis of ADHD for my brother for the same reason grr).