Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Going to see Glen this Saturday

Hi guys, I'm off to see Glen this saturday with my daughter and older son. Can't wait to see as it's been 3 weeks which seems so long to me :( Glen has been through a bad patch about 2 weeks ago, he started asking for 'home' all the time, was hitting himself and also hitting staff frequently, they had to restrain him on several occasions. However for about a week now Glen has settled again and is joining in well with activities. He goes recycling on Tuesdays and does gardening on Fridays and Art on another day, also goes shopping on the mini bus to tescos and buys what he needs for himself for the week. So all in all things are working out fairly well. There will always be patches it's only to be expected with Glen still in the early days of living in the residential home.

The following week (Friday 15th) Glen comes home for the weekend, so looking forward to having here again. Glen only comes home once a month for the time being as it is felt that if he were to come home more frequently he would get confused as to wear he actually lives now!

I will let you know how Glen is on Saturday, we are taking a picnic up and taking him to a local park near the home so fingers, toes and everything crossed for dry sunny weather please in the midlands (near Coventry).

Thanks ladies I hope all goes ok, I am a little anxious about it as Glen can vary a lot in how he is at the moment just hoping seeing his older brother and sister will help! Glen is off doing recycling today, that is one of his activities for the week. He does gardening on Fridays and seems to be enjoying that.

My daughter Julie and son Luke came with me to visit Glen at his residential home yesterday. Glen has got his own facebook page (Glen Alchin) if any of you would like to take a look, I obviously manage it for him I;ve put some photos up of his bedroom and of the garden at the home.

Glen has a fantastic room with en suite, lovely gardens and play areas. Glen loves the swings theres and huge trampoline.

We took a picnic with us and really enjoyed it, we found a local park. Glen still hasn't got that 'happy look' but then he hasn't had that in some time. It would be nice one of these days to see him smile when he saw us but you never know I could be surprised as yet!

I am so pleased that I got him in this home, it so meets his needs. The staff are a very friendly bunch, they are so used to autistic kids. I am feeling far more relaxed in myself now and I am working as a cleaner part time to fill my days. ( I only do 3-4 days a week).

Of course I still miss having Glen around but it wasn't doing my health any good and it wasn't helping Glen being here when obviously he was really crying out for help, help that I couldn't give him. I should have done this a long time ago but still I have now.

Glen is coming home for the weekend next week so looking forward to that.

Edited by JeanneA

aww Jeanea. that does sound positive, its lovely your other children went as well. My CAMHS consultant says that very soon I must start to make plans for the future as my J`s behaviour once more becomes "unstable" when he`s lovely I cant bear to think of it... but when he`s not... I realise It cant carry on, he is sooooo big !! good job you dont know all this lays ahead when they are little babies isnt it! anyway, so glad to hear you have a job as well. onwards and upwards,! much love and support Enid

Thanks Enid for your kind words. You do have to think of the future, your child's and yourself. This is the best thing I could have done for Glen I just wished I had have done it sooner, say a couple of years ago when things were going really badly.

Thanks very much ladies. I will reply to your pm later J'sMum so pleased for you also :thumbs:

Thanks Lynden yes things seem to be going great just hope it continues that way :) Looking forward to having Glen home this Friday for the weekend.

Glen came home about 1pm today, he settled in ok initially but as the afternoon went he became quite unsettled and wouldn't do anything that I suggested, he could be tired from the journey of course it is a long way. However he is enjoying is pizza and chips for dinner :)

I just wish Glen would seem happy, he just never looks happy to be here, he's not aggressive but you can't get him motivated to do anything, although they seem to at the home which is good. I just hope and pray one day on a home visit he will look pleased to be here, just makes me as his Mum feel very sad :(

Is there anyone's asd child that never looks happy and only smiles when you tell them and even then its a very half hearted smile.

Edited by JeanneA

aww thats tough. but you know he loves you really. they are always more difficult with their mums, he must be confused/unsettled he just needs time. sending loads and loads of suport from a mum to a mum. keep strong love xxxx

Hi yes Glen doesn't understand emotions so I shouldn't expect too much of him I know, guess I still live in hope though

My lad never smiles either, but I think that's just his face, iyswim. When I was younger people were forever telling me, 'cheer up!', I was fine, I just had a very flat expression, I didn't smile readily. Now I make a concerted effort to smile at people. My lad hasn't learnt to do this yet, so his expression is still very fixed and the only time he smiles is when he's watching telly really. He doesn't 'do' smiling AT people, he doesn't 'do' a pleasant, welcoming smile, he just smiles when something is funny. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi Jeanne, maybe he has just outgrown living at home and your ways/whats wanted or expected of him by the family ? Or he could just want to be left alone. I am sure the happy look will re-appear x