Sign in to follow this  
Special_talent123

Way Samaritans have treated me, think targetting my disabilities

I had a phone call from samaritans, to check if im eating. I thought it were the same branch calling me but it weren't, to find that another branch gave me a call.

She were upsetting me. She were asking me how i felt and stuff, and i were saying im still upset from crash i had as i am getting flashbacks.

She then went on from why don't you work? I said places where i live if you tell them you have disabilities then they don't want to know, previous experience but said that im doing courses.

She then went on and said what are your disabilities i said ' Autism and Learning disability'.

then she went so what is your ' Learning Disability', i said that its general in my english and maths as that what mum said just means i need a bit extra support in class.

Then we went back to the crash, and she were like no one got hurt did they and i said well ive got ' whiplash', she making excuses for driver to get away with the crash.

She then and laughed so i said ' why are you laughing', and then she stopped. I were panicking and then she said ' am i chuckling', i said ' No', my heart is pounding. Then she went is anything else shocked you in the past and i said ' Men', then she laughed and said im lying and manipulating people.

I werent even doing that so i lodged a complaint into caller care.

I did tell caller care everything and said i felt she is targetting my disabilities.

If you ever need help ,like ,from the samaritans you'd do better unloading your problems on this site and its members.They are more understandable,accesable and at least you'd be talking to people who've more direct understanding.

You did right to complain,I don't think the samaritans are qualified/experienced enough.Lots of their volounteers are just doing it to get on the mental/health/caring job market.I'm sure there's loads of good uns working for them but talking to the same person who knows your difficulties makes it alot easier.

sorry to hear they upset you special_talents123

If you ever need help ,like ,from the samaritans you'd do better unloading your problems on this site and its members.

This is directly against forum rules.

Actually Samaritans training is both long and quite intentensive - you are not allowed to miss any training sesions and you have to commit to a period of voluntary work following the training period. Most people who do it are dong it for all the right reasons (even if they are not always the right people IMO)

Having said that, I'm a bt confused by the post. Are you sure it was the Samaritans who called you and not another agency that they had referred you onto? Are you sure she was laughing - it sounds an extremely unlikely reaction to anything you might want to say to a Samaritan... Sometimes it is difficult to understand what noises mean over the phone.

If she really did laugh and say that you were "lying and manipulating people" then she will immediately lose her "job" as a Samaritan - any one of those would be uncceptable to them

Actually Samaritans training is both long and quite intentensive - you are not allowed to miss any training sesions and you have to commit to a period of voluntary work following the training period. Most people who do it are dong it for all the right reasons (even if they are not always the right people IMO)

Having said that, I'm a bt confused by the post. Are you sure it was the Samaritans who called you and not another agency that they had referred you onto? Are you sure she was laughing - it sounds an extremely unlikely reaction to anything you might want to say to a Samaritan... Sometimes it is difficult to understand what noises mean over the phone.

If she really did laugh and say that you were "lying and manipulating people" then she will immediately lose her "job" as a Samaritan - any one of those would be uncceptable to them

Yes it is because samaritans call me back and she told me she is from the samaritans. and yes she were cos her voice kept changing. ive already made a complaint into te quality care team

Yes it is because samaritans call me back and she told me she is from the samaritans. and yes she were cos her voice kept changing. ive already made a complaint into te quality care team

I was a Samaritan volunteer many years ago. Maybe things have changed since then. I never heard of a Samaritan phoning any of our contacts, which is not to say it never happened.

That aside, the way you were treated is inexcusable. We were taught to listen, be sympathetic, and never to judge.

I was a Samaritan volunteer many years ago. Maybe things have changed since then. I never heard of a Samaritan phoning any of our contacts, which is not to say it never happened.

That aside, the way you were treated is inexcusable. We were taught to listen, be sympathetic, and never to judge.

it were a call plan, when they think i need a phone call to check if im ok as in quite a distress they call me

Hi special talent just read your post on Samaritans and I'm so sorry you were treated so badly,those people are meant to help you,not make you feel worse,the fact your doing courses is great,at least your doing something don't listen to negativity and keep your chin up,hope you feel better soon.x

the director of samaritans has called me a minute again, and told me the volunteer is upset that i put a complaint in, she even denied calling me a manipulative person.

i think you just need to request that she doesnt speak to you or handle your calls again.

Edited by matzoball