Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Educating Essex: channel 4 at 9 pm

I don't know whether anyone has been watching this very interesting series- it's a fly on the wall documentary about life in an Essex secondary school. One of the pupils focused on in tonight's episode has Asperger Syndrome. Worth watching even if you haven't been following it as each episode is fairly self contained.

K x

I quite liked the comment "he won't get a special job when he leaves, so he shouldn't be in a special school" that's exactly how I feel about DS, who I am confident can get a normal job when he is grown up, and therefore needs to learn how to survive in a "normal" environment

I was appalled at the comment "x used to live in Spain, where as a child with autism, he was kept in primary school" WTF??? Do the Spanish really just leave ASD kids in primary school until 18 years old?

Edited by KezT

I was not happy with the Head's comment about not getting a 'special' job.

Actually, there are special jobs, ie. jobs where they are adapted and there is extra support for adults that have gone to special schools. But there are not enough of them and there needs to be many, many more. Because that is probably the kind of job my son will need and I would rather he did something he enjoyed and was productive, rather than spend his entire adult life on benefits unable to get or keep down a regular job.

That is the kind of job my sister has. And, yes, she tried lots of regular jobs which she always lost after the first week. Yet she has worked in a sheltered workplace for over 25 years.

For those children that can get and keep a typical job good on them. But what about the rest? I really don't like these sweeping comments. They are a generalisation and nothing to do with actual people.

I went to a childrens' award ceremony organised by my daughters secondary school for those children who achieved outstanding academic success in each year group. Proudly, our own daughter was one of them. However, for me, the Head then ruined the evening by going on about how he did not accept parents telling him that their child, with a diagnosis of some new 'disorder' that has only just been recognised in the last 20 years ... blah, blah, blah.

He actually named ADHD, as a disorder he did not believe even existed, which he said was just used as an excuse by parents of underachieving children!

I'm sure other families on this forum must have the same experience as we do. We have a talented child, and an ASD child [who also has his abilities as well as his difficulties], and I hear such extreme views from professionals and teachers, depending on whether I am seeing them about my son or my daughter.

I quite liked the comment "he won't get a special job when he leaves, so he shouldn't be in a special school" that's exactly how I feel about DS, who I am confident can get a normal job when he is grown up, and therefore needs to learn how to survive in a "normal" environment

I liked Mr Drew but this comment mde me wince a bit as it is likely to reinforce the still held misconception that special schools are ghettoes for the "sub normal" child. Special schools cater for a range of needs and the whole spectrum of ability, and for some children they are the right place at a particular time. Is there any evidence that pupils who leave special schools are any less equipped that their mainstream counterparts to take their place in the "real world"? No school reflects the world outside - not even the average mainstream school. Where else would you get 150 people from the same locality, all of the same age and sometimes the same gender, spending most of the day together?

Apart from that, what a lovely boy Ryan was. Presumably he was lucky enough to be getting a lot of support. I'm glad he got an A in Spanish. :)

K x

He was lovely wasn't he.

The SENCO's chat with him about how he could put himself in danger was something I think about alot for my own son.

His leaving speech made me reach for the tissues :tearful:

He came across as very insightful, but also so vulnerable .... hope things work out for him.

And he got an 'A' in Spanish!

And the other child Vinney, it just shows how children do need a good family behind them.

Lovely, lovely lad! Shed a tear or two myself.

Whole series has been a hoot...some wonderful characters, especially Mr Drew the Deputy Head.

We live near Harlow.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

My other half works in Harlow and goes past the school quite a lot. :)

I also liked the lady teacher - the one in a tracksuit. I hope every evening she gets to put her feet up with a glass of wine. She deserves it!

K x

I thought Ryan was amazing, but full credit to the school and his fellow pupils for making him feel that way - he obviously had not been bullied, had been included and had accessed learning at the right level for him. Credit to his mum too - as we all know how support at home is so important too!

I felt sad for Vinney - you could see his potential, when his face lit up with the 'C' in English. I think the school did what they could, but maybe he will turn it all around on his plumber's course. I don't know if the staff are that patient off camera, but they certainly had a load of it on camera!

I was not happy with the Head's comment about not getting a 'special' job.

Actually, there are special jobs, ie. jobs where they are adapted and there is extra support for adults that have gone to special schools. But there are not enough of them and there needs to be many, many more. Because that is probably the kind of job my son will need and I would rather he did something he enjoyed and was productive, rather than spend his entire adult life on benefits unable to get or keep down a regular job.

That is the kind of job my sister has. And, yes, she tried lots of regular jobs which she always lost after the first week. Yet she has worked in a sheltered workplace for over 25 years.

For those children that can get and keep a typical job good on them. But what about the rest? I really don't like these sweeping comments. They are a generalisation and nothing to do with actual people.

I went to a childrens' award ceremony organised by my daughters secondary school for those children who achieved outstanding academic success in each year group. Proudly, our own daughter was one of them. However, for me, the Head then ruined the evening by going on about how he did not accept parents telling him that their child, with a diagnosis of some new 'disorder' that has only just been recognised in the last 20 years ... blah, blah, blah.

He actually named ADHD, as a disorder he did not believe even existed, which he said was just used as an excuse by parents of underachieving children!

I'm sure other families on this forum must have the same experience as we do. We have a talented child, and an ASD child [who also has his abilities as well as his difficulties], and I hear such extreme views from professionals and teachers, depending on whether I am seeing them about my son or my daughter.

I know there are special jobs, but pitifully few of them. I xpect my DS to be able to get a "normal" job, with some "special" adaptions if necessary - rather like I expect him to attend mianstream school with adaptions. If there was the perfect soecial school for him, locally, that would be even better - but we all have to be realistic about what the actual situation is, rather than what we think it ought to be!

Obviously, we should still lobby for the ideal situation, but right hee, right now, my son and many (most) other HFA children have to work within the "normal" world

Edited by KezT

I enjoyed the programme, did'nt think I would though. What I enjoyed was the fact that the teachers seemed so dedicated to help all the children including those who did'nt seem to want it, like Vinny. :thumbs: Good on them for showing the positive side of being a teacher and that it is not about the pay cheque (which is not enough IMO anyway!)

I did feel for Vinny though because he did seem to have potential as others have mentioned, it is hard to see that. I left school with little qualifications but have studied as a mature student for three years to get into uni and now I am doing what I really love, so of course it is never too late.

I am on the fence with the "special job" comment, I do actually agree with KezT in that it is a real world and the special jobs are few and far between also prehaps someone that is higher functioning maybe seen as too "intelligent" or able for such a job. In fact thats how many special schools view high functioning children so no surprise that workplaces feel the same.

On the other hand the comment did sound slightly outdated and bordering on discrimination?(I don't think I would like it being said to either of my boys!),but do understand why he said it in all fairness.

I would have thought, purely on a costs basis, that it would be a good use of resources to have sheltered workplaces.

Where my sister works, she is now the only employee with a neurological difficulty/disability. All the other employees have physical difficulties, which I do think are different to those involving cognitive and social impairments.

And although the Disability Discrimination Act would help someone to maybe keep their job if they were disabled, or may even help someone get a job {although that seems far less likely IMO}, I think that someone with a neurological difficulty would find it much harder to hold down a job in a typical work environment.

Just as in school, other employees can and do bully vulnerable adults. They may resent the help or adaptations to the job that the person receives and somehow feel that they are getting a 'lighter' workload.

My sister's employers are basically like a family. Not without faults obviously, but there is so much more thought and preparation for the work they actually have to do. And the actual 'work' they do is typical. She is a machinist and therefore the job is exactly the same as any other machinists. But the managerial and shop floor infrastructure is special needs friendly and it works.

Those that are high functioning are capable of work. And work is important for self esteem, physical and mental health, and it gives the person independence. But when their contribution is not recognised or catered for, it often means that those people are simply excluded, especially if the criteria is always focused on production levels.

Maybe, rather than a special job, it should actually be a special employer.

I thought he had aspergers as he were being literal. That school doesn't show a SEN policy on there school website i noticed so i don't know what they do to person who has SEN needs

The school would have to have an SEN policy and they would be bound by the code of practice as other schools are. Ryan was obviously getting a lot of support and the teachers and pupils seemend to genuinely like him. However, anyone watching this programme would gain a somewhat rosy view of how schools include pupils with SEN. This particular school may provide well for all its SEN pupils but we don't know. Ryan probably had a statement (I think we saw a bit of an Annual Review meeting?)with a lot of 1-1 support, and was probably high priority not just because he has AS but because he was a recent arrival to the school and to the UK. That's my view, anyway!

K x

i recorded this and catched up with this programme this morning i found it heart felt with ryan at the end and his speech was very brave courageous was really emotional heartfelt moment and shows how he 'come on' at that school being Able speak in front of his year group i found teachers really supportive understanding and met his individual needs real well and i found helped him since been there in so many direction just from what we saw! i like way SENCO was explaining social story about vulnerability and danger i liked the way she left it open to what he should do and way he should deal manage that situation i was pleased for him he got A for his spainish! i could personally relate to him at transitional review meeting though ... it must been difficult to move from spain to UK and be kept behind due to his AS was disadvantage as he did seem clever and brainy! must been quite challenge and hard one at that! he seem to take it on the chin rather well to be honest! may been different at home though of what we didn't see on camera! i found him charming ,

i think his teachers had great way dealing with his needs i wish every teacher could watch this and see rom for improvement on way deal with AS pupils as can be damaging to self-esteem butlso work other way the opposite can a as seen on here what effort has be two way and meet in middle this was positive message for future of education in AS with awareness and understanding can keep coming forward! great to see potiential of opportunity/chance he was given in just 2 years was truly inspirational/amazing feat

ryn had great attitude and approach to his future would be nice to see follow up at his college how his next further education challenge is going for him ....

XKLX