Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Music

Music has helped me immeasurably.

I find that I need to listen to music that has a lot going on within it or else my concentration wanders. Is anyone here the same with regard to that? Currently, I'm listening to the Dave Matthews Band (first 3 albums) as they are very percussive, lots of different layers and exemplary musicianship.

I'm getting into freeform saxophone Jazz now as well, such as Andy Sheppard, Alan Skidmore and John Coltrane. Rush is a band I also like because they are technically proficient and the arrangements are busy, keeping me interested with complex drum patterns and loads of bass.

Blues is something I like too, as it's repetitive and intensifies within that. Without music, I think I'd have gone doollally years ago. Heavy Metal does it for me too, especially Iron Maiden, Dio and Megadeth. Brutal, fast music.

What does everyone here like to listen to?

:groupwave:

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum. we've had a couple of threads up and running about music and other hobbies... Here's a link you might find interesting

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...t=0entry22282

For my own part, it's easier to say what I don't like:

Commercial Country and Western (but blue grass/cajun is OK)

Opera with singing (except for the occassional 'aria' and Gilbert and Sullivan which is sooo camp it's great) - Beautiful music spoiled by some fat bint warbling like her corsets snapped!

'Pap' pop (but good pop's good)

M.O.R. (R.E.M automatic for the pukin'. Incidently, Chris Rhea has just joined Dire Straits... They're calling themselves Dire Rhea)

Mostly, I are listening to 'Rock' (someone namechecked Kristen Hersh, throwing muses t'other week and didn't mention the best indie 'single' EVER -red shoes), They should also treat themselves to The Breeders 'Last Splash'... Dance (Underworld/Chems/Leftfield, NOT Oakenfold/Coxx), and - oh - just more stuff than I could mention: suffice to say, If it funks, I'll move to it!

Best

BD :D

PS: would agree, music can help immeasurably... Don't know HOW it works, but the fact that certain chords/hooks/phrases can make you happy/sad/angry/mellow/etc is incredible. And, yes, i know it's all MATHS, but that doesn't make it any less magical, does it? ... 42... Who said that? Must be kathryn sneakin' in... ;)

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum.

My 15 year old finds that music calms him when he's feeling stressed. He likes Green Day at the moment.

He started writing raps last year as a way of letting out his feelings. If only he would shut his bedroom window when he's rapping, you can hear him from up the road sometimes :rolleyes: His stress levels have gone down though since he started it.

I'm an r 'n' b girl myself.

Annie :D

Baddad - 'if it funks, I'll move to it!' - that's a must-see :D

Ooohh, just got James Blunt's 'Back To Bedlam' :dance::wub:

But then I'm just a sad old hippy! :lol:

Even Ole Grumpy himself (aka Jester :jester: ) likes it!

Bid :wacko:

And the new White Stripes album, but haven't had a chance to listen to it properly yet!

Edited by bid

:o ###### - you oldies are all far more cool and trendy than I am! :lol: You all put me to shame! I'm not gonna admit my musical tastes here (cheesy late-'80s music, predominantly)! That would just be too embarrassing! :shame:

James

Hi Jonathan and welcome :)

My taste in music has changed over the years. I'm 39 yrs young but when I was in my early teens (which was when I use to constantly listen to music) I'd enjoy listening to The Jam, Stiff Little Fingers, Andy Williams, Barry Manilow ( :wacko: ) and Madness to name just a few.

I haven't ever liked Elton John and I hate RAP. I can take or leave The Beatles. I'm beginning to warm to The Rolling Stones.

My favourite bands/artists are, ABBA, E.L.O. and Robbie Williams. When I'm driving I like listening to piano music, opera or classical - my daughter doesn't like getting into the car with me :lol:

Baddad, I skulk and I lurk, but never sneak. ;):devil:

There is no good music after 1983. That's official.

Hi,

Am still reeling from baddad's best ever indie single !

On the music/ maths connection I'd have to recommend durritti column (all that love and maths can do ? ) Great music for thinking to.

Bestest indie fav's The Go-betweens.

Bestest oldy band at the mo has to be Pink floyd after seeing live8 and remembering why I like them so much.

I'll have to stop or this post could go on and on !

wac

P.S. 12 yr old is into Greenday, can't wait til this obsession is over !

Wow! i thought my tastes were eclectic but Stiff Little Fingers (... If it wasn't for/Your stiff little fingers/I wouldn't even know you were/dead... and 'flying duck theory' was even better... God! I've gone on a punk nostalgia trip now :D "Albert Tatlock! Albert Tatlock!") to Barry Manilow is a leap too far for me! And bid! The poo stripes: shame on you!

Annie: R'n'B is that 'new' R'n'B (which sounds just like rap to me) or old R'n'B like Wilko and the Feelgoods I(if so, get in touch with bid. as i've now said too often for it to be funny any more, she's into pub brock) or OLD R'n'B like leadbelly or John lee Hooker? As for the must-see shakin' of the groove thang - two pints of Guiness and you've got a deal ;)

Gordie - cheezy late eighties? Are we talking 'Alison Moyet' Cheezy or do you mean REALLY cheezy like OASIS (shock horror! seriously, gotta be the most over rated band in the history of pop music. Personally, I'd rather listen to the beatles do the ballads properly, or Primal Scream do the rockers properly - Mr 'Thunderbird puppet' Gallagher and his even less talented brother should be paying both of those bands royalties... Derivative aint the word!

Erm, if there's anyone i haven't offended, I'm sorry :devil::devil:

Laters...

Gordie - cheezy late eighties? Are we talking 'Alison Moyet' Cheezy or do you mean REALLY cheezy like OASIS (shock horror! seriously, gotta be the most over rated band in the history of pop music. Personally, I'd rather listen to the beatles do the ballads properly, or Primal Scream do the rockers properly - Mr 'Thunderbird puppet' Gallagher and his even less talented brother should be paying both of those bands royalties... Derivative aint the word!

Blimey, baddad - you're definitely old. :lol: Oasis aren't a "late-'80s" band! They didn't arrive on the scene till about 1995! And they're still around now too! Wouldn't have called them cheesy either. I have a 50:50 opinion of them - Noel's a good guy, Liam's a tw*t. :lol:

No - I mean Alison Moyet-type cheese. :D Although she wouldn't be the first person to come to mind. :unsure:

James

(P.S. Oh dear - better edit out the bad language manually - I thought "tw*t" would get automatic censorship! :lol:)

Edited by Gordie

Blimey, baddad - you're definitely old. :lol: Oasis aren't a "late-'80s" band! They didn't arrive on the scene till about 1995! And they're still around now too! Wouldn't have called them cheesy either. I have a 50:50 opinion of them - Noel's a good guy, Liam's a tw*t. :lol:

No - I mean Alison Moyet-type cheese. :D Although she wouldn't be the first person to come to mind. :unsure:

James

(P.S. Oh dear - better edit out the bad language manually - I thought "tw*t" would get automatic censorship! :lol:)

God, 1995, eh... it just seems longer! I know they're still going; they've got a new album out, haven't they? I heard someone saying it's 'not as good' as their old stuff... an oxymoron if ever i heard one...

New forum game: "What swearwords does the forum not auto edit?" I'll start the ball rolling with F###, ###### and T#####T... Blimey, according to the preview I would have got away with two out of three! Shameful, Kris! :D

Hi Gordie,have to agree about Liam, I think he's a real twit too !! I saw Oasis in the mid 90's and came up with the very un-pc view that his mother didn't smack him enough as a child ! what an ego ! But am still impressed by his voice.

Did you see Richard Ashcroft singing with Coldplay at live8 ? now there's a singer from that era.

baddad: :o Oh God - would you believe my Yahoo LAUNCHcast Radio (the radio you can play via Yahoo Messenger) just randomly picked "Don't Go" by Yazoo?!?! :lol: It's like it knew we'd just been talking about Alison Moyet!!

And yes - Oasis do have a new album out.

waccoe: Actually I was saying "tw*t" with an 'a', not an 'i'. ;)

And no - I just missed that double-act actually (Richard Ashcroft/Coldplay), which I was a bit annoyed about. Oh well ...

James

Sorry, Gordie, was being polite, and avoiding words, I knew what you meant. Didn't realise until I was very old that tw*t was a 'bad word, at school we used it like twit ! Thankgod I don't live in S****horpe ! I hate those words. But that's another topic entirely.

And I missed REM, another favourite

wac

My favourite of some many years now has been Dennis Locorriere aka the voice of Dr Hook. I finally got to see him last year and he lived up to every inch of my expectations. Just one man and acoustic guitar but it was my idea of heaven. My other fav of yesteryear is Free. Seen them a couple of times. One extreme to the other - that's me.

Otherwise I have a very WIDE musical taste. I went to see Westlife with my eldest son and his mates, male and female, and I even got to touch hands with one of them :wub: It was one of the most spectacular shows I have ever seen. I was a HUGE Queen fan and love Robbie Williams, but then so does my Mum :o It's her ambition to see him live. I am also something of an Eminem fan. I think that this guy has incredible talent and maybe David has brainwashed me with his music but I do like it even though know that he is OTT :o I also like Bon Jovi and quite a bit of Guns and Roses. Oh yeah and I seen Howard Keel once and he was ace. Do not anyone ask who Howard Keel was? :lol:

Carole

Edited by carole

Hi carole,

hasn't the singer from fFee joined Queen ? A friend a mine told me she was going to see Queen, and I was going "how?" I have an English teacher friend who argues that Eminem is a modern day poet !!

Now, Howard Keel, was he in Oklahoma !? I remember him from Dallas ? There's some great old singers out there, I love the old musicals, (no-one likes me singing along, I don't know why ? )

wac

hasn't the singer from fFee joined Queen ?

I had not heard that wac. But could be? And I have to say I agree with you friend about eminem. I decided to re-write the words to his song 'Without Me' for one of our Panto's and it was one of the most difficult things I have ever tried to do. You have to be some kind of genius to do what he does.

Carole

Hi baddad. As for Bluegrass, I like Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. Seriously cool music. I also abhor commercial Country & Western. Horrid stuff in the main. I quite like Chris Rea's latest stuff now. He's left his major record label and set up his own small independent record label Jazzee Blue. It's good music. It's just a shame that he doesn't seem to want to be contacted by the email address he has placed on each CD cover. If he doesn't like being contacted, why put it there? All emails get deflected back. I wasn't sending psycho stuff, just "hi Chris, like the new direction."

Hi carole. Blimey Bon Jovi, there's a blast from the past. I used to blast out Keep the Faith all day at one time. I loved the track Dry County. I'm a sucker for epic songs with equally epic guitar solos!!!

Hi waccoe. Yep, it's true, Paul Rodgers joined Queen for some shows this year though Freddie was projected onto a big screen behind them for the upper register notes Paul couldn't hit. Why they didn't wait a respectful period of time (say 5 years) hire a brilliant new singer and reform I will never know. They were a great band.

Hi Helen. I've also never liked Elton John though I do like his writing partner, Bernie Taupin's, own group; The Farm Dogs. They've put out two excellent Americana roots type albums. I also hate Rap though can see the cleverness inherent within it. The wordplay. I also love piano music, classical works like Satie, Debussy and jazz like Bob James, Joe Sample, Lyle Mays and Keith Jarrett.

A good alternative to REM for me is The Tragically Hip, a great band from Canada B)

Edited by ~Jonathan~

Baddad,

Thinking about it I suppose I like several types of music.

Marvin Gaye takes me back to 'dancing around the handbags' time. I saw him in concert not long before he died, in of all places........Slough!!!! Not often Slough and Marvin Gaye are used in the same sentence, eh?

Freddie Jackson, Luther Vandross (RIP) and all those type of people up to R Kelly, great voice, wouldn't have him as baby-sitter though.

PS Two pints of Guinness are on their way

Carole,

I think Eminem is great too. The videos to all his songs are brilliant. He has got a wicked sense of humour and doesn't mind having a laugh at himself in them. Robbie Williams is a brilliant entertainer, I thought he was great on Live 8. I always loved Queen as well. I thought it was a shame that George Michael didn't do more at Live 8, I've always liked him too.

Talking of touching pop stars hands, I used to be a fan of the Osmonds (can't believe I've just admitted that), I was over Heathrow waiting for them to land and the Jacksons came in at the same time. I managed to touch Michael Jackson's hand. I think it was about the time his life took a dramatic turn for the worse. Hope it wasn't all my fault :wacko:

Annie

I find that I need to listen to music that has a lot going on within it or else my concentration wanders. 

I'm getting into freeform saxophone Jazz now as well, such as Andy Sheppard, Alan Skidmore and John Coltrane.  Rush is a band I also like

Heavy Metal does it for me too, especially Iron Maiden, Dio and Megadeth.  Brutal, fast music.

For me it's either the words or the maths that do it for me.

Jazz I love, from the earliest to the Big Bands (recently annoyed the kids by overriding cartoons to watch High Society). It's the maths that gets me - I love improvising around the improvisations, whistling (took me years to learn - and got a lot of hassle as classmates insisted I was blowing kisses to the other boys - another thread :wacko: ).

But usually it's the words that attract me - Rush were my main band as a teenager (though dressing up as Kiss to fleece the Japanese tourists was fun), then along came punk...

In the last couple of years the punk has led to the discovery of 'emo' and idobi.com, which I get to share with Com. He and I both like Green Day, Offspring, Good Sharlotte, Something Corporate, Simple Plan, that lot :devil:

Loud music is useful for blocking out the random sound of the outside world when concentrating, I find.

But mostly it's humour. I recently met a Vivian Stanshall (Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band) geek (AS but doesn't know it) and renewed that obsession from my teens. We made a cartoon movie of one of VS's bizarre Xmas monologues (Rawlinson End) for his finals project, and I'm now working on one for My Pink Half of the Drainpipe. If anyone's interested (baddad) it's here...Uncle Otto Gets Blotto (parental guidance)

nemo

Edited by littlenemo

But mostly it's humour. I recently met a Vivian Stanshall (Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band) geek (AS but doesn't know it) and renewed that obsession from my teens. We made a cartoon movie of one of VS's bizarre Xmas monologues (Rawlinson End) for his finals project, and I'm now working on one for My Pink Half of the Drainpipe. If anyone's interested (baddad) it's here...Uncle Otto Gets Blotto (parental guidance)

nemo

Nemo - you weren't wrong, I was very interested... Deserves a much wider audience, and i'm sure the great man himself would have loved it... Absolutely 'fits' to a tee.

Won't comment on the script for obvious reasons, but highlights for me were Otto's Goose Step (front on) and the 'ping' and 'pong' captions on tennis. Can't say why, just tickled my FB! What were those green bubbles, though? ;)

Haven't read them for years, but if you liked VS you may well enjoy JP Donleavy too... If you don't know him, track down "The Onion Eaters"...

Many thanx...

Now, back to the subject of Music - you and your friend could do a lot worse than apply your artistic skills to an interpretation of some of Zappa's less 'lurid' stuff... 'St Alfonzo's pancake breakfast' and 'Cozmik Debris' spring immediately to mind... (and an animated Batcave could be good fun too!)

L&P

BD :lol:

you and your friend could do a lot worse than apply your artistic skills to an interpretation of some of Zappa's less 'lurid' stuff... 'St Alfonzo's pancake breakfast' and 'Cozmik Debris' spring immediately to mind... (and an animated Batcave could be good fun too!)

L&P

BD :lol:

Or the whole of Joe's Garage (still my favourite critique of the music biz), perhaps... :devil::whistle:

As to the batcave idea, 'great minds think alike', had already considered it for Xmas/solstice. Tell you what - you script it, I'll animate it - how's that for a deal? :devil:

nemo

Music has helped me immeasurably.

I find that I need to listen to music that has a lot going on within it or else my concentration wanders. Is anyone here the same with regard to that? Currently, I'm listening to the Dave Matthews Band (first 3 albums) as they are very percussive, lots of different layers and exemplary musicianship.

I'm getting into freeform saxophone Jazz now as well, such as Andy Sheppard, Alan Skidmore and John Coltrane. Rush is a band I also like because they are technically proficient and the arrangements are busy, keeping me interested with complex drum patterns and loads of bass.

Blues is something I like too, as it's repetitive and intensifies within that. Without music, I think I'd have gone doollally years ago. Heavy Metal does it for me too, especially Iron Maiden, Dio and Megadeth. Brutal, fast music.

What does everyone here like to listen to?

:groupwave:

Iron Maiden-great band! B)

Does anyone like my chemical romance,system of a down,or death from above 1979?

My son his currently obsessed by James Blunt.....back to bedlam, he likes songs with great lyrics. My faves from way back.......The The Infected...(brill), Pale Fountains, Talking Heads, and I love Paul Weller!

Hi Suze,

Am with you on 'the the' I saw them a few years ago, they were absolutely fantastic, the only band I've seen this decade worth the ticket price. No, I'm lying, Neil not so Young was great, and so were Cornershop.

Keep trying to get our eldest (12) interested but she only has ears for Greenday !

wac

:rolleyes: ...do you know what ..... I,m gonna dig out my old albums out .....dust down the HI-FI, and have a day of nostalgia....I can,t dance for toffee my son asked me the other day while I was freaking out to music in the kitchen if I had been "drinking that Actimel stuff " :lol: . Went to a party last week that was a fund raiser for school all the staff and teachers went too. The road to amarillo came on and I started to do my thing.......caught my sons LSA looking over at me she later whispered " know where he gets it from now" :P .

On some forums they have a "what music are you currently listening to?" thread. Is there one here that I haven't been able to find? Could I post a topic like that? It would be interesting to know what other people are listening to and it could become an ongoing thread.

Edited by ~Jonathan~