darkshine

AS and Mental Health

By that I mean that are there people who have large parts of time (like years) where there hasn't been any issue with mental health at all....

well being diagnosed as early as i was in my life, ive always had that support there if i needed it. so really ive had it pretty easy compaired to most.

35% of spectrumies are without MH problems in addition to their ASD.

My MH has stabalised in the past but then something has triggered off the CPTSD and flared things up again.

I wasn't diagnosed with autistic features until after I got sectioned some years ago now, I don't know where I am on the spectrum because I've managed to fit in at school.

School some bright spark had me as autistic way back then, but school for auties back then in the seventies was just a bin basically so my parents told them to shove it with that idea. I went through work, yes, I actually got jobs and was many things, a building estimator, a site engineer, an aircraft mechanic and a general repair man getting jobs was easy all one had to do was understand the psychology of an interview and react accordingly oh and erm pursue jobs below one's ability but I was diagnosed whilst at college whilst being long term unemployed following an attempt on my life with the resultant ptsd issues and there realised where in every job I had stuffed the job up, the depression and anxiety issues that ate into everything eventually, so sure to a point then it all turned to disaster, the same pattern in everything. But there is no help for adult AS and a great many of us are long term unemployed and messed up with MH issues.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

i managed to fit in most of school. As someone whose still trying to get official recognition of their CPTSD (im what you call peer confirmed) i totally get where you folks are coming from.

I was recognised as autistic 2 years before i was diagnosed by a stranger who knew my relatives "but it's not socially acceptable to say something even if we know it's true" was their excuse for not saying something. all i had to do is try talking to the lady about my difficulties "i know somethings up but i dont know what and im without a diagnosis please help" and i could have got diagnosed years earlier.

35% of spectrumies are without MH problems in addition to their ASD.

My MH has stabalised in the past but then something has triggered off the CPTSD and flared things up again.

That's a small percentage...

School some bright spark had me as autistic way back then, but school for auties back then in the seventies was just a bin basically so my parents told them to shove it with that idea. I went through work, yes, I actually got jobs and was many things, a building estimator, a site engineer, an aircraft mechanic and a general repair man getting jobs was easy all one had to do was understand the psychology of an interview and react accordingly oh and erm pursue jobs below one's ability but I was diagnosed whilst at college whilst being long term unemployed following an attempt on my life with the resultant ptsd issues and there realised where in every job I had stuffed the job up, the depression and anxiety issues that ate into everything eventually, so sure to a point then it all turned to disaster, the same pattern in everything. But there is no help for adult AS and a great many of us are long term unemployed and messed up with MH issues.

Yeah, I found out about the lack of help when I got diagnosed (which wasn't that long ago really, like 18 months)... kinda hopeless in many ways...

i managed to fit in most of school. As someone whose still trying to get official recognition of their CPTSD (im what you call peer confirmed) i totally get where you folks are coming from.

I was recognised as autistic 2 years before i was diagnosed by a stranger who knew my relatives "but it's not socially acceptable to say something even if we know it's true" was their excuse for not saying something. all i had to do is try talking to the lady about my difficulties "i know somethings up but i dont know what and im without a diagnosis please help" and i could have got diagnosed years earlier.

That's just frustrating...

I know AS Warrior had said he had it relatively easy cuz of having support... but relatively easy doesn't mean that MH probs haven't been a factor...

And it's just depressing if nobody's really had large periods without some kind of MH prob (particularly in adult life).

Edited by darkshine