Mannify

Do you know your IQ?

And do you think it's a positive or negative thing in your life?

I don't know mine officially, although I have some idea based on casual tests which tend to be roughly the same. I don't think I'd want an official thing done, though, because it might represent a ceiling. I remember when my son was given the child development equivalent of an IQ test, I really resented the imposition of knowing his IQ, even if it was involved in getting the education that was right for him. But even if someone scores a really high IQ, it's still a ceiling, isn't it?

The flip-side, though, is my sister's experience. She's doing exceptionally well in Uni, although at primary school teachers did not rate her abilities particularly highly. For her, finding out her IQ in her teens was highly motivating and she's now fulfilling her academic dreams. And maybe discovering a lower than average IQ might have some motivational force in encouraging someone to achieve beyond the stark number.

My feeling remains that it could potentially be demotivating, though. What d'ya reckon?

I don't know my IQ at all. There have been a number of times in my life where people have wanted me to get it tested. I have always resisted such suggestions.

I would rather people treat me as they find me. In life I try to simply be the best I can be at things, as such I have no personal interest in having a number assigned to me it would make no difference. What I have always been worried about is that others might start to see things differently.

What I have always been worried about is that others might start to see things differently.

Yes, LancsLad! That number had immediate implications with regard to my son, which I still resent. I'm angry, tbh, that I had to know. Yet I did have to know, for the process to move forward.

Do you like knowing that, Special, or do you wish you didn't? I'm not just saying this, but you really work beyond your 'number' on this forum, so maybe IQ's not as relevant as people think :)

Nope haven't had mine tested, I've never seen the point - I have messed around on an online thing once when I was kinda off my face, a friend suggested it and cuz it was just messing around I said yeah... I'm not saying what the score was though cuz being off your face doesn't count, and it wasn't a real thing :D

I scored 'Einstein' on a Facebook IQ Test if that counts B) ! I was a bit chuffed with myself :lol: . Anyway, it mostly consisted of spotting which shapes and patterns were out of place compared to others and as I can sometimes run my eyes over patterns (I don't look too closely) and certain parts just don't look right, I mostly just went with my gut on the answers bu could never explain why I came to those conclusions!! I'd probably get 'Homer Simpson' if I did it again :lol: .

Hey, that's cool Lyndalou. A genius among us!

my IQ number says what type of disability i have its mild. i hate it because it puts barriers in place. i was just turning 18 when i had my IQ tested
How annoying of them to focus on IQ, without consideration of other things which may be far more important in terms of the support you might need, such as sensory or social issues. You're right, it has been no help to you, has it?

Darkshine, hammered definitely doesn't count.

I can't really do standard IQ tests as I can't understand some of the sequencies or shape patterns.

In any case I find IQ tests discriminary as one could fail but have many other talents not picked up in standard tests

In any case I find IQ tests discriminary as one could fail but have many other talents not picked up in standard tests

That's a part of my issue with them... amongst other things :lol:

Hmmm, I think they've evolved from a very Western model, too, which means that they would discriminate against cultures which value different skills.

Mine is 102 according to Test the Nation a few years back...

Darkshine, hammered definitely doesn't count.

Although I am not going to do another one - I have to admit I am intrigued as to whether it would be higher or lower than the score from being "hammered" :lol:

I used to do that test every week in my youth, the one where you had to work out how to get home in the early hours of saturday morning. More like 15 pints of lager back then rather than the half bottle of red wine.

There's a scientific experiment in there somewhere, maybe even a thesis.

At the time I'd had a substantial amount of vodka, amongst other things - I'm surprised I could even read the ###### screen :lol:

Can we assume that it was higher than you expected, given your interest in the effect of alcohol on your result? I mean, it wouldn't be that interesting if it was a low result, would it?

Edited by Mannify

I never bothered looking to see whether the number was high or not or what it meant - it just looked like it might be an ok score - I'm not bothered about that - I was stoned at the time too - I'm interested what effect that might have had with the booze... and to some degree it makes me wonder what it would be if I wasn't drunk and stoned - but I don't really place any value on IQ tests, and I don't get drunk or stoned now either - and to be a true test I would have to redo the whole thing again - that aint gonna happen so we aren't ever gonna find that out - I refuse to do one straight too - the only reason I even agreed to do the one I did do was cuz I was so out of it I'd have agreed to almost anything at that point :lol:

I used to do that test every week in my youth, the one where you had to work out how to get home in the early hours of saturday morning. More like 15 pints of lager back then rather than the half bottle of red wine.

That's when you know you're getting old...:lol: :lol:

Robert yes you are right. If they keep the legal drinking age the same I have 11 years to go and then the problem is solved, my son can work out how to get me home.

Or you could:

1. drink less

2. train a dog to get you home

3. drink at home

4. attach a piece of string to your wrist and follow it back

5. buy a GPS tracking beacon and follow the blips home

6. light up your home like a football ground and follow the light :P

Mine is 102 according to Test the Nation a few years back...

And 144 according to IQTest.com today!

I was tested when I got my dx and it was the 98th percentile (verbal) and the 99th percentile (non-verbal). This seems to equal 125 and 140, but I'm not sure.

I'm a bit frustrated about it, because looking at my job, that's something you'd need "only" 110 for. On the other hand, I like what I'm doing, so maybe it's better not to think about it.

I don't know my exact IQ, just that it's high. I was called gifted at school, and they made me sit a MENSA test without telling me what it was, but I can't remember the results from it. I just know that they said I had a high IQ in order to be even tested for MENSA, but I never got in, so obviously it's not high enough for that :lol: I don't really care one way or the other to be honest. I wouldn't care if I knew it or not. It wouldn't make an ounce of difference either way. It's only a number.

That's cool, congrats!

Not really. I wish I could have done more with my intelligence.

http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2007/11/20/stop-thinking-youll-get-by-on-your-high-iq/

I know mine, but only because I sat a Mensa test around 12 years ago as a laugh when my hubby sat one. I know I'm clever enough (good grades at school, degree etc), but I never thought I'd get in. It's not something I ever use or reference though. I think if I sat one now after having kids I'd struggle haha

Lynne