Caroline77

Newbie - mum to 5yr old going through assessments..

Hiya, I am caroline. I am 35 and have 3 kids. One being my 5yr old boy. He is currently going through diagnosis for Aspergers. He has always been different. He has a photographic memory, remembered every car logo he saw from the age of 20 months old.

I knew I had to speak to a professional though. The symptoms he has are

- He hates robotic toys, or anything that takes a battery and moves and makes noise...to the point he wont come in the house if he knows one is in here.

- He wont play outside in the garden for fear of someone coming in...but more scared of other children coming in. He likes the children in his class, but ANY other child he is terrified of to the point of hysteria if it looks like one may come near him or god forbid talk to him.

- He only likes a few foods, and some make him physically wretch.

- He loves routine. Puts his clothes on in order, hates change and has to be prepared for it.

- He is exceptionally clever. Can read ANYTHING you put infront of him, and could write straight away as he was taught.

- He chews things..all the time. his clothes, PS3 controllers, cushions...anything!!!

- He doesnt play with toys. Only gadgets.

- He goes to bed at night, and then gets up to tell me things that really dont matter, and he goes to the toilet loads (put it this way, its 9pm now, and he went up at 8 and has been to the toilet, or got out of bed for other reasons, about 12 times now)

- He smiles when you get angry at him, like he doesnt care that you are angry, or cant process the fact you are.

There are loads of other things....too many to mention. I guess I wanted to speak to like minded people. I am terrified the docs are going to tell me there is nothing wrong with him. He has to see an occupational therapist soon to get to the bottom of his social problems, and he is having a blood test to rule out other reasons for chewing.

I am at the end of my tether though :(

Caroline x

Hi Caroline77, and welcome.

Good luck with the assessments. It sounds like your concerns are being taken seriously, which is a good thing, especially seeing as he is still very young. My lad is 18 now, going on 19, but I remember the early assessment days as being a very worrying and stressful time. Hope that it leads to him getting the assistance that he might need at school in the future.

All the best.

~ Mel ~

Hi Caroline,

I can relate to your situation. Our son is 10 and 2 weeks ago he was diagnosed with ASD. He has gone through some of the symptoms you have spoken about especially at night time - our son would also go to the toilet just before bed about 10 times, also he would talk to me about lots of different things (as he calls them his worries) before bed, it still takes quite a while to get him settled to bed but not as bad. He also washes his hands alot and likes to close certain doors around the house befor he goes to bed. When he was younger he would also spit out foods that he didn't like. He has sensory difficulties. When he was 4 he was diagnosed as having a severe speech and language disorder, he still has communication difficulties but his speech has improved.

It sounds like you are having all the right assessments for your child, I wish you all the best.

Hello,

Hope your well, its very difficult in early days, especially when your child has no diagnosis, and you worry about your child's education needs, and obviously if they will go to the right school.

I would write a diary of all issues that concern you. Write down every professional you've seen.,Write down all your daily challenges you face.

Do not be fobbed of at all, insist full assessment is done.Have confidence in yourself, don't feel be intimidated by them,its your child and you know your child best.

I have recently read a book,which I feel may be usefull to you, it called A Mothers Guide to Autism, by Stephen Gandy.Its from Amazon and you can just choose the part of the book that relates to your problems.It is written in in conjunction with the authors experiences and the experiences of a mother bringing up a child with core autism and a child with aspergers.

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Guide-Autism-Spectrum-ebook/dp/B008Y0YVW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345384041&sr=1-1&keywords=Mothers+of+autistic+children

Hi Caroline,

I can relate to your situation. Our son is 10 and 2 weeks ago he was diagnosed with ASD. He has gone through some of the symptoms you have spoken about especially at night time - our son would also go to the toilet just before bed about 10 times, also he would talk to me about lots of different things (as he calls them his worries) before bed, it still takes quite a while to get him settled to bed but not as bad. He also washes his hands alot and likes to close certain doors around the house befor he goes to bed. When he was younger he would also spit out foods that he didn't like. He has sensory difficulties. When he was 4 he was diagnosed as having a severe speech and language disorder, he still has communication difficulties but his speech has improved.

It sounds like you are having all the right assessments for your child, I wish you all the best.

have you tried anxiety methods to help autistics? Would he take omega 3 oils? They help me avoid interrupting, memorising and concentrating at school. Would he type up his problems or write them so at a set time of the week you could go through them together write out the solutions and keep them in a safe place?

The speech problems could be part of or a cause of the anxiety, some parents have found b12 helps their kids with language.

Is he peeing more than you would expect for a kid of his age? He could have a UTI (which cranberry concentrate tablets help with me) but be communicating that problem behaviourally. i am unable to communicate pain conventionally and tend to have a shouting match with mum before i eventually say "pains really bothering me today making me snappy" but she then tells me to exercise more and take less painkillers like the militarism rhematologist i once met.

Hi Caroline,

Welcome!!

i too have an 11 year old with aspergers and can relate directly to a lot of your wee ones difficulties... The main thing is you are aware he has difficulties and its being dealt with but like has been said before, dont be fobbed off and stick to your guns about getting a confirmed diagnosis as earlier diagnois can give you additional support which will benefit you all...

All the very best....... Hugs to you all..

F x

Edited by Fudge