Sa Skimrande

Laziness and Procrastination ?

Is it particularly true of the autistic mind are we inherently lazy ?

The reason I ask is because of self reflection, much of my failing I know is through laziness and procrastination which is laziness in a way, that; I'll do it later thought.

So do we procrastinate much and if so why ?

I don't consider myself lazy, but the way mind works, it might appear that way.

Say, in the area of problem solving, I can take short cuts, see patterns and paths and arrive at an answer quickly. I really can't be bothered going through the list of small logical steps to arrive at the same conclusion, which is what is expected of you when presenting written work. I have no method of presenting my way of thinking externally. On a practical level, if a machine is repaired or modified and it works, that is the proof.

Procrastination I see differently, and for me can have different causes

Not being able to see a path through a problem, keep putting it off until a flash of inspiration takes hold.

Self abuse, a form of punishment, like going on strike against oneself, for not getting the just rewards.

If a job has to be done, then a strategy I use is to prepare the work the night before, so as to have a clean fresh start in the morning, and to reserve that time like an appointment.

I am also aware that on some days it just will not happen, on ###### days I do the most menial jobs, cause it can't get much worse.

I don't consider myself lazy, but the way mind works, it might appear that way.

Say, in the area of problem solving, I can take short cuts, see patterns and paths and arrive at an answer quickly. I really can't be bothered going through the list of small logical steps to arrive at the same conclusion, which is what is expected of you when presenting written work. I have no method of presenting my way of thinking externally. On a practical level, if a machine is repaired or modified and it works, that is the proof.

Yes I do this also or rather used to when I was working, as yes there is no point following proper procedure when you know what the fault is, it is a waste of time which equals money in the work environment but written work I used to have to do reports when repairing military aviation as with aviation everything that is done has to have a report and with that a logical process of how one got to that conclusion whereas with me that was where the creativity came in , trying to fit a logical process to how I found the fault where 'having a feeling' is not permitted as it is not logical and no one else can follow it. But the same with me something is broken and is now working that is the proof.

Procrastination I see differently, and for me can have different causes

Not being able to see a path through a problem, keep putting it off until a flash of inspiration takes hold.

Yes I do believe that is my modus operandi as well

Self abuse, a form of punishment, like going on strike against oneself, for not getting the just rewards.

Maybe as I am particularly known for self destructive tendencies where people have said stop being so hard on myself.

If a job has to be done, then a strategy I use is to prepare the work the night before, so as to have a clean fresh start in the morning, and to reserve that time like an appointment.

Yes, I have tried this approach, but it is with me I keep forgetting and it would only work if my place was not a mess, which it usually is as I don't get on with tidy, I can't find anything when the place is tidy, it unnerves me, but in order to achieve somethings that need achieving I guess one place has to be tidy, but I know I will keep away from tidy, so I don't know what the solution is.

I am also aware that on some days it just will not happen, on ###### days I do the most menial jobs, cause it can't get much worse.

Yes again, I have a lot of those days and if people try to force me to do, this is where I tend to become childish in that well I become obstinate and awkward and I have been a thorough pain in the ass in the past, but without a job now, I just ignore everything I cannot handle on a particular day, but in not handling I find the situation perpetuates and as it does so a fear sets in, an unreasonable fear most of the time, I know when I look at things and try to put them into perspective in which case when I do that I start worrying and chastising myself for being stupid to have let a minor problem get so far advanced.

But I think it is procrastination that is my biggest problem as when I do actually work, I work to a standard beyond what most others work.

I sometimes worry that I might come across lazy to others. I really try my best at everything I do but I often feel as though I'm not as capable as others around me when it comes to the amount of work I can do within a certain period of time. It doesn't help that I have a somewhat limited concentration span (something which isn't helped by the fact that I suffer from tension headaches) and, as a result, quite often find myself procrastinating, putting tasks off because I'm struggling to get in the right mind set to actually do them.

Since diagnosis I have been made aware that I am not as good as NT people in that I work differently and in this society anyone that appears to be slacking is inferior. I can't do quantity through boredom where boredom becomes obstinate, but I can do challenging and new ideas, but what I can do means nothing to employers they just want productive people that cause less hassle and are cheap to hire, none of which apply to me. The future looks bleak.

What saps my motivation is that the world we're living in isn't quite the world that was painted to us by career programmes and guru's of yesterday.

Jobs are not as rewarding as they should be and usually leave you feeling demoralised, badgered, exhausted and quite frankly robbed. It seems many are willing to pay wages that do not measure up to the effort involved - many default to NMW which goes up by a few pence every now and then despite inflation being much greater.

There are some good employers out there but there are many out there who seemingly put profits before their staff which is morally testing at the best of times. OK so if they're generally struggling financially then they have to put measures into place but so often they dismiss staff to make savings while continuing to pay their directors huge bonuses.

Jobs are scarce enough out there and many of the ones that are available are 'get-you-by-while-struggling' filler-in ones that you have to take in desperate times. And they do nothing to restore motivation or a sense that things are getting better. It's quite depressing actually.

Unless you're born wealthy you need a job to survive and yet it is so hard to cling onto them (let alone get them) these days and it just doesn't seem right. There aught to be incentives out there for companies to cling onto jobs rather than getting rid of them the moment the economy starts looking edgy. Economies don't fix themselves through unemployment.

I always found it hard to see the point of intermediary steps at school. I found it hard to be bothered about doing some homework if I didn't see the direct relevance of it. I'm like it now. I've just completed a degree with the OU, and for the 16 or so hours weekly that are supposed to be devoted to it, I would tend to do between 2 and 8, because I generally have a very clear vision of what actually needs to be done with academic stuff, and leave the rest. In some ways this could be seen as lazy, but maybe it's efficient :) . I'm inclined to do everything at the very last minute, which is something I've overcome to some extent in adulthood.

Edited by Mannify

I haven't read the whole thread, but I feel that lazyness is more to do with depression, feeling of low self esteem, feeling there isn't any point in doing anything as no matter what they do its not going to make any difference to their lives...they want to be left alone to wollow in self pity and not be distracted by doing the every day mundane things...We NT's also go through the very same, its just a natural process of the mind and body giving up to put it plainly...:)

Lazyness can only be stamped out by ones understanding of how important it is to keep moving, giving your mind and body something to do other than thinking...its a cycle of self surrender that is carrying on to damage you even further and debilitate you if ones not careful...

I totally agree with karmadestiny that this "laziness" put it off til another day which can relate to I also feel it connected/linked to low self-esteem/depression issues making you lack in motivational skills get up and go is missing vest and drive for daily tasks in life withdrawing from basics expected from us which can be tiring/draining!