Sign in to follow this  
matzoball

Is is appropriate to go through old threads and suddenly post again - especially when it's nothing to do with the post?

i may be being a bit over sensitive, but it freaks me out a bit when someone actually goes through posts that are years old, and posts really (to me)inappropriate comments on it, or asks inappropriate questions.

i may be being a bit over sensitive, but it freaks me out a bit when someone actually goes through posts that are years old, and posts really (to me)inappropriate comments on it, or asks inappropriate questions.

Nah, i see where your comming from, espeshilly when the op has long gone, and can't respond.

I agree. I have had times where I want to make a post and think that I am sure the topic has been mentioned before especially to do with education,but I just think even if its been asked before my own situation may be quite different to the OP's so I usually just start a new thread.

I can see it being helpful to read over old post's but then there is old and there is ancient!!! I don't have the time to trawl through all the posts from years back and I am surprised some do. I don't see a problem with looking through old posts reading it to oneself and leaving it at that rather than resurrecting it.

Well why not? I bet there's an old ancient cemetary full of old topics long forgotten - there may even be some real gems down there. Why not resurrect a few of them and raise a few spirits through doing so? It is Christmas afterall!

Sometimes yes, but when it's asking really personal questions and in my particular instance on threads I have started - I do think there is a problem. It feels intrusive for want of a better word. But like I said, maybe I am being oversensitive.

If people don't think old posts are valid then a lot of people like myself will not take the time out to put in a detailed response, rather everything would be one and two lines. When I answer a post I often try and construct a response in general terms so the content might have value further down the line. I tend to make these sorts of decisions based on the title of the post and whether I think someone might use terms within the title when searching.

It depends what sort of forum people want, it is easy to keep things short and simple to yes I agree or no I don't type answers. Personally I like looking back on old posts as a lot of the content is perfectly valid today. If people are not around it just shows how transient and possibly shallow the forum is at times, they come on for a bit of sympathy or a general whinge and then clear off. If people were really looking for answers they would put the time and effort in to find them.

Just a thought.

what about same person posting in really old thread but the topic is not even relating to the thread?

Yeah that seems off to me.

It's interesting to read old threads like Lancslad said as the subjects are usually still valid. Finding answers is one of the reasons why I use this forum! I'm actually going through a thread on another forum from 2008 about ways to transport a cake :)

But I wouldn't suddenly post on a thread that's years old about something not related to it even tenuously.

Yeah that seems off to me.

It's interesting to read old threads like Lancslad said as the subjects are usually still valid. Finding answers is one of the reasons why I use this forum! I'm actually going through a thread on another forum from 2008 about ways to transport a cake :)

But I wouldn't suddenly post on a thread that's years old about something not related to it even tenuously.

Exactly. It makes me furious to go into a thread because I'm interested in it's subject-matter only to find the latest post is on something completely different.

One has to ask how our minds work, what signals us to respond, is it the exact question or what we believe we have read even if what is said does not mirror what is in our minds, for we all think differently and much of anything is a big game of Chinese Whispers in most cases as can be seen with how threads divert from their original concept, but at least it is conversation and that is good, people are encouraged to contribute.

But as to the past I personally am aware my past internet performance on forums is cringe worthy, it embarrasses me now to how I was before, but everyone should be aware that whatever they put up on the internet is there for all to see whenever they wish to see it and comment if they see fit and so if one has issues regarding old threads being dug up through embarrassment of their past performance, then the lesson is clear, don't write on the internet to avoid that skeleton in the cupboards situation.

But on the other hand for the brave what they wrote in the past can be used as a good gauge to how they have improved and changed themselves through learning to be better, or the complete reverse in which case it can be a wake up call as one is deteriorating.

id say yes as may have some relation to situation your personally experiencing now and someone may have posted same kind of feedback but want further information knowledge insight research into the subject topiv?/

*topic i have done this myself actually few days ago on medication section asking advice only thing is no one seems to like reading over old ground news posts as suppose find it annoying boring get fed up going backwards again!

and also just thought of this new members join this forum all time now with new fresh ideas/experiences & opinions so many also be worth re posting and asking again!