felines are superior

Do you get depressed during the evening/winter?

Do you suffer from seasonal depressive disorder? Does it have anything to do with Asperger?

I kind of get a bit depressed in the evenings, but not in the winter. Then again, the winter here isn't much. We get plenty of sunshine even in January. Started to get depressed at the sight of the sunset as a child, but maybe it was because the day was close to over, and I knew I'd had to go to school the next day, and it became a habit...

I get lonely, and I don't just mean in the winter I feel shut in, but my main worries this year were over that support company that helped me. My sister also has her custodial battle as well. 2014 totally sucked for us.

I feel sad at this time when I think of all the Christmas cards I have sent without any reply - and these were to people I thought were my friends.

I feel sad at this time when I think of all the Christmas cards I have sent without any reply - and these were to people I thought were my friends.

That's so sad. Our good gestures are so often totally ignored or even made fun of.

FaS, the shorter days and increased darkness can affect people's moods, as can the cold. I can sympathise though - I get really low in the winter. Just out of interest, do you feel like properly sad or is it like being numb? That's how I feel. I'm not sure if 'numb' is the right word, but that's the only way I can describe it

That's so sad. Our good gestures are so often totally ignored or even made fun of.

Thanks for expressing sympathy. Unfortunately the usual reaction I get to describing my situation to people (including, regrettably, my boyfriend) is something along the lines of: "That's just the way of the world, you always lose touch with friends if you move away". But I know of any number of people who've managed to keep in touch with friends who've moved far further away. Ironically these are often people who claim to be rubbish at keeping in touch with friends, yet they still manage it.

A lot of people do get seasonal affective disorder, and that's not just people with ASD, but increased sensory sensitivity *could* make an individual more sensitive to it. I've tried light therapy for it but it didn't do much. I've had far more success with wearing warm and comfortable clothes, and trying to stay warm and dry. I found it was being affected by cold, rather than dark that made a difference.

I don't have sad, I have depression/PTSD issues but I find it extremely difficult in the winter. Because the change in routine of shops/service support closed, but not only that but my arthritis is affected badly so makes me feel even more down, the busier everywhere is the noiser including fireworks going off

Edited by Special_talent123

I used to suffer from bouts of chronic depression; some lasting for over a year. Every activity (mental and physical) became a great effort. I'm sure this depression was a reaction to my situation combined with the fact that I had no idea why I was 'different'. But I've had another much rarer kind - ever since my teens, better described as acedia, an existential depression which occasionally sweeps over me. It seems to be the result of 'too much' ruminating on such things as suffering, cruelty, time's passing, the transience and 'purpose' of life, etc. It's what de Nerval described as his black sun, the noonday demon (the dark angel in Dürer's famous work Melancolia). I actually need this dark cloud to descend upon me from time to time, for I can draw inspiration from it once it's passed over.

My favourite weather is cool, cloudy, not too sunny, even misty or drizzly. I don't like extremes of temperature, being out in heavy rain, high winds or very hot sunshine. The long, dark nights depress me, but not unduly. I love to see the signs of spring around me.

Edited by Mihaela