Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Carers Allowance

Why does no-one ever tell you about these benefits :angry: I only found out I could possibly claim CA through this site :thumbs:

Anyone know how long it takes for a decision? I just applied on-line tonight, do they backdate it? I asked for it to start from the date I filed my DLA paperwork because it has now been granted and I heard you had to get middle rate for care to be able to apply?

I don't know a great deal about this benefit, could someone fill me in please?

Thanks.

Hi Becky,

I've just found the claim pack leaflet that I was sent when I filled in my forms. Mind you, it is dated October '03.

It says (the more interesting bits) :blink:

Your cannot get Carer's Alolowance if:-

you earn more than �77.00 a week - I know that figure has gone up, but I'm not sure by how much. The figure is now �82.00 a week.

Claim now - If you look after someone who is getting or waiting to hear about their claim for

Attendance Allowance or

Constant Attendance Allowance or

Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate of the care component.

Do not delay or you could lost benefit (I think it is back-dated from the date that you first applied).

We aim to deal with your claim within 5 weeks. It will help us if you do not contact us until after that time.

Annie

:)

Edited by annie

I have just got mine, they back dated it by 3 months which is the max they will backdate. And you cant be working or studying more than 16 hours per week.

Mine was backdated by 3 months I also found noone mentioned it, why can't they send forms of what other benefits you may be entitled to when you are awarded the likes of DLA :wallbash:

The 16 hours and �82 a week can stop some families from claiming, my friend just reduced her hours by 2 to be able to claim carers allowance, but they took it into account when calculating her housing benefit and council tax benefit I believe she said.

If you are on Incapacity you can claim carers allowance but you don't get it paid to you as you can not claim both at the same time, they just pay NI contributions, if you claim Income Support it is taken into consideration with claim but they put on an additional premium of �25.80 (current rate I believe) so you don't get the full amount but it does increase.

Edited by lil_me

:clap: Great news Becky,

I also found a link on this site, for those in receipt of carers allowance, about the

exemption ticket in libraries, seeing as I'm one of these people that is always late

with my books because I dont seem to get the time to take them back by the date,

I thought I'd ask at the library yesterday.

They had not heard of it, but I persisted, and said 'well I've heard about it, so there must be some truth in it", I showed them proof of my carers, they then phoned somewhere a bit higher up, the answer came back, 'yes, you do get an exemption ticket which means you are not liable to fines, also when you pay for using their computers instead of the usual one hour, you get two B)

Hey, I know this is not the best thing in the world, but seeing as I had already got myself a fine for books being late, I was certainly glad I knew about it.

Also because my boy gets DLA his ticket is now exempt from fines too. ;)

Brook

Hi Nellie,

it was in the 'money saving tips for carers' thread that I came across it.

It was on Helens post dated May 2nd, I followed the link she had put up,

'Moneysavingexpert', there is masses on there, thanks Helen ;)

I think that all different libraries have different concessions, depending on what council they are under, so its definitely worth asking, if your a library user that is :whistle:

seeing as I home ed, we are always in there, and the amount of books we borrow, one always slips through the net, or should I say under the beds :lol: fines, fines and more fines :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Brook

Hi,sorry to jump in, I've been awarded carers allowance starting next week although I'm awaiting a letter to let me know if they owe me any backdated money, what I want to know though is, how often is it paid, weekly? two weekly? monthly? I 've hunted online and can't find it anywhere only that there's a weekly amount but the DLA say that also and they pay monthly

thanks Kathryn, you answered a question I've been hunting for an answer for the past two hours, now I can sleep :thumbs: thanks again