Sign in to follow this  
helenl53

Channel Five News

I have had a message left by a parent that child with Autism was featured on the Channel Five news today and that it will be repeated at 5.30 (I haven't checked this out)

On the run - got to pick my DS up.

Best wishes

HelenL

I saw it.

It was a Dad and his son who could not get access to SALT. I can't remember if the Dad said help with education as well :oops: It was with Slough LEA. (sorry Nellie if I'm not allowed to name the LEA, please delete it if I'm not).

Towards the end of the report, it said that the LEA have now agreed to give the boy access.

There was a spokesman from the NAS who said that they receive so many thousands of complaints each year that Autistic children do not get the help that they need, and if you have problems to let them know.........please take note ;)

Annie

XX

I did catch it and I think all of us would empathise with the despair that the dad felt.

Sorry everyone, but even if there is a shortage of employed SLT's in the LEA's, then they should use independent SLT's - there is no excuse in my book for letting our kids down.

I think they are providing a SLT now that the case has had publicity and it would be interesting to know whether it will be an independent SLT.

The media are really trying to keep this alive for us and we chipmunks must chip away :lol::lol:

Best Wishes

HelenL

Sorry everyone, but even if there is a shortage of employed SLT's in the LEA's, then they should use independent SLT's - there is no excuse in my book for letting our kids down. 

There is one excuse....... money!! Private therapy costs 2 and sometimes 3 times as much. With so much money being spent on private SLT the LEA would have to cut back on other services....perhaps the amount of support assistant time your child would receive.

Do people on this forum know of private SLT who provide ongoing support in mainstream schools?

SLT - you have missed the point entirely - and I do not intend to get into protracted postings.

Financing services is not the concern of parents - never has been and never should be - it seems to me that our kids are the easiest option to cut back on - they are not the disability of the moment - I believe that there is a lot of funding going into behaviour management which may be caused by environmental factors and not by a neurobiological lifetime condition.

You seem to be a tad touchy about money being spent on independent SLT's - is not the meeting of the childs needs paramount?

End of matter for me now.

HelenL

I have to agree with Helen why should the cost of providing the services and resources that our kids needs matter to parents? I am not being flipant but if it's too expensive to be disabled then what is the world coming to? We live 24/7 with our children and adults, who are given a very raw deal in my opinion, and the very last thing I need to hear is that the cost of proving a service for my kids is too high? Maybe if LEA's spent more time leaning on the governemnt of the day then we parents would get results.

Funding is not our problem and I have no intention of being made to feel guilt ybeacuse my child's needs are expensive.

Carole

I think we have had this discussion before and we both know where we stand on this issue. I think everything should be done to support children no matter the disability and in a "perfect world" money wouldn't have to be discussed but in the real world, a world that is resource led, money still remains the number one issue. Frustration and annoyance at LEA inaction is usually the consequence of resources (or lack of). Money/resources is an important issue and will remain so no matter how ugly the subject may be.

My annoyance at paying for private SLT is that many (certainly NOT all) breeze in, whip up a frenzy and then at the first sign of trouble clear off, leaving the NHS and the parents to sort things out. I have no issue with anyone wanting private SLT as long as you are happy to pay for it.

I know that I what I write here is not a popular point of view and I do not write it to cause offence but as the view of someone who is a service provider.

It is possible in some areas to ask the NHS to support private fudning where there is a long waiting list.

For OT in our area the waiting time is 2.5 years and as our son is severely dyspraxic as well as ASD we have asked for this. Our Paeditrician has supported this request and we are now waiting to hear if they will fund.

Elaine

I watch the interview and the boy had a fit while they were filming

The father was almost in tears.

NAS Gavin Owen said that over 35,000 letters, emails, faxes and phonecalls were complaining about how people with autism were not getting the proper care they needed.

It so unfair that parents have to go on National to get something that they are entitled.

If they are saying there is such a shortage of SALT....well health professionals in general.....it must be money....

There was a survey done a few years ago asking students why they are doing certain degrees and not others....and alot of their choices came down to the careers advice they were given at school.

The same survey look at why students with disabilities do not do certain jobs....and it came down to the college not spending money on amenties to help people with disabilities.

....we are living in the 21st Century and still have almost victorian attitude to medical care depending on where you live and how the health departments deals with people.