Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

Off to Hollywood...

Hi,

We're off to Hollywood, Birmingham next week to hear Luke and Jacqui Jackson speak.

Is anyone else from the board going ? or has anyone already been to one of their talks ?

I'm really looking forward to it, but it's a long drive, and other half is 'umming and erring' about going !!

Please give me some ammunition to get him convinced it'll be worthwhile,

wac

Waccoe -

One of the questions I'd like to ask Jaqui concerns dietary intervention... She and her family are firm advocates for the AIA (are in fact regular [paid?] speakers at their conventions, BUT -

Rigidly applied principals of the AIA diet: minute traces of gluten dairy can cause immense problems/traces remain 'active' for periods of weeks/months...

Now, during the documentary 'My family and autism' Jaquie's son tracks down and eats large quantities of 'banned' foods on two seperate occassions in the same week. Given that the documentary is supposed to be a look at their everyday lives, this would probably be a fairly regular occurence. How does that work then?? :lol:

Adding on from that, every month the AIA find new foods to add to their list of 'banned' products... Given the 'principals' detailed above, that would mean anyone eating the newly banned foods in the previous month would have compromised the diet... Given this as an ongoing process, the diets for many dieters would be permenantly compromised!! How does that work then??

These might sound a bit like loaded, negative questions, but in truth you can't actually ask on the AIA website without being very aggressively attacked (and i would know!). As jacqui is such a prominent supporter, they seem fair questions.

Anyone who has read the threads on gf/df will know I'm a firm advocate for dietary intervention, so I'm not just 'having a pop'. My real worry is that Jacqui is such a prominent supporter of the AIA, and the AIA to my mind does as much harm as good - particularly with statements that imply ditary intervention can 'cure' autism.

As far as Jacqui goes, I think she's a very resourceful, intelligent woman who's been a major positive influence in the lives of her own boys, and (by extension and the books/media coverage) an inspirational resource for others. I don't think, though, that she's quite the 'Guru' she seems to be portrayed as, and that - while it may not be her fault - she needs to be conscious and wary of that portrayal... I've got to admit to being very VERY uneasy about the up and coming dramatisation based upon her life, and hope she's kept very rigid 'artistic' control over the final product: I'd hate to see the 'Guru' elevated to 'Sainthood'... ;)

Bung that lot to the other half, and see if he bites the bullet!! :lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

Hi there,

I went to see them this year - they were two of the speakers along with Wendy Lawson - and they were very good. They also took questions at the end and were very down to earth and helpful.

Hope you can change his mind !

I'm going to Kent on Monday to a conference on ASD and adolescence. Jacqui and Luke Jackson are 2 of the 4 speakers there.

Really looking forward to the conference and getting some good tips.

Lauren

I must confess to being totally uninspired, and in fact irritated by this family. Good luck to her, but the dramatisation of her life is one I will not be watching.

I often wonder if the talks include the bits that are not included in the books. I hope so.

Carole

mmmm....

now I'm undecided :unsure:

It's baddad's fault for mentioning AiA ! I always wondered if they had so many foods on their banned list just so that you were forced to use the products they endorsed ? It's a shame you can't get on their forum anymore, I used to like having a look. The way they tell people off on there, it was like being back at school :shame:

I'll stick to 'well, it's a night out' ( :devil: ) to get him there !

Thanks anyway,

wac

Edited by waccoe

Hi,

We're off to Hollywood, Birmingham next week to hear Luke and Jacqui Jackson speak.

Is anyone else from the board going ? or has anyone already been to one of their talks ?

I'm really looking forward to it, but it's a long drive, and other half is 'umming and erring' about going !!

Please give me some ammunition to get him convinced it'll be worthwhile,

wac

Waccoe - I don't know how to tell you this but ... they are speaking in Sheffield on 5th October !

... with Wendy Lawson. I'm going.

I know you're not joking, but I wish you were !!!

Mind you, is that the event at Sheffield Arena ? There was some reason we couldn't go, is it in the day-time ?

This is just a couple of hours in the evening at a school. I was sent a leaflet by the portage, sorry 'preschool inclusion' team.

Ah well, friday night on the M42, should be great :D

... is that the event at Sheffield Arena ? There was some reason we couldn't go, is it in the day-time ?

At Meadowhall - the Source - daytime event.

Ah well, friday night on the M42, should be great  :D

Definitely! :lol:

where and when is that talk in birmingham, cos its not far from me and i wouldnt mind going, but cant make daytime B)

Hi Elaine,

It's next friday (16th) at Woodrush school in Hollywood 7-9pm, the tickets were only �5 each.

If you're interested, I'll dig out the tel.no. for you so you can ring and see if there's any tickets left

Found it, 0121 430 4510 or email: Bernie.adams@talk21.com

wac

:oops: I hope that's allowed

Edited by waccoe

I share Baddad's concerna aboout the Allergy Induced Autism people. Their leader managed to start a huge bunfight on the Jamie Oliver forum of all places by stating that they knew what was causing the autism epidemic and how to cure it.

The problem is that if you dare to suggest that that isn't quite true they attack back by saying that you must be against any form of dietary intervention that may help autistic people and take you to task for having the temerity to criticise their great leader and a godalmighty row ensues.

I am not at all comfortable that Jacqui Jackson is involved with these people. That said I would definitely take up the opportunity to hear her speak as she has made an immnse contribution in two ways.

Firstly by rasing awareness. The BBC documentary she was involved in made a significant contribution.

Secondly, particlarly in her book Multicoloured Mayhem she has made a contribution by showing that the exoerience of raising children with autism isn't always a negative one. I can be immensely challenging at times, as most of us know, and having someone paint a more positive picture has helped me a lot.

Simon

I read all that, I've lost a great source of argumentative entertainment since they locked out non-members !

This thing I'm going to is organised by 'Autism Events', I can't find out anything about this lot, can anyone else shed any light on who/what they are ?