Sign in to follow this  
bid

Oh dear!

Hi all,

I've only just realised that Littlenemo and Zemanski's children can't really be called Com and Dot... :blink:

Of course, it's 'Dot-Com'!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Time to lie down in a darkened room, methinks!

Bid :lol::hypno::P

Well I,m gonna admit to being a numb skull then :rolleyes: , because the big penny did,nt drop till I read Bids thread . None of this surprises me though I quite regularly don,t get it. :unsure:......... lets zip back 20 yrs......... I was 16, fresh out of school and very naive ( still am :wub: ) I had just got my first job, so chuffed I was earning �50 a week B) . Anyway cool streetwise boss ( proffessional photographer, I was his assistant), sends me on a mission to buy a "long weight".....the scoundrel claimed it was an attachment for one of the studio lights. Well at 16 I had to walk the 2 miles to the supplier (obviously no driving licience), ....................So a long walk and 45mins later (I could walk fast then :lol: ), I arrive at the" big, major ,hum- dinger supplier to the Photographic industry in Manchester. Any way" Little Suze" walks up to the counter in her dungarees and beetle crushers (bought from "afflecks palace," any self respecting student at the time bought all their clothes there) . "Andy " the eager helper dude who obviously knows every type of photographic equipment ever to grace a Grattan catalogue shoot jumps up enthusiastically like a puppy dog "YEP!.....what canna dooz ya for?"......."Can I have a long weight?"......."Ya what like?"........."Can I have a long weight?"........"HHHMMMMMMmmm!, just a sec I,llz see if we,ve got any"......Andy goes away, comes back some time later with a mug of tea, opens a copy of Photographer Monthly " and starts reading...............some time later Jeff a kind big bellied chap with a bad taste in ties wanders over.He obviously has children of his own and has taken pity on me , he fills me in on the joke................................Well I spent the next few years being reminded of that joke everytime I walked into that place :angry: .......Also did something nasty to bosses tea when I brewed up later too :whistle: ...... But Krismites you may be pleased to know Suze got the last laugh :thumbs: ....Four years later a model scout spotted me at a photo shoot, she obviously saw potential straight away and I spent 6 mnths working in Japan, then came back did several magazine covers and had 2 successful fashion spreads in cosmo and Elle. Manchester was really happening at the time Oasis had their first album out and I used to hang around with the Take That boys.(we had the same agent) I was earning big bucks , ......................................................anyway sorry that last bit was a big lie or was it a dream?....we can have dreams can,t we?...Suzexx.

I realised ages ago and thought it was inspirational, I only wish I was that clever. Still at least i'm cleverer than Bid ;):lol:

Mind you with 4 kids mine would have to be " forward, slash, back and space," :oops:

Viper.

com was known as 'little dot com' from a very early age, Nemo used to sing it to the tune of the beach boys 'little deuce coupe', I think it was probably because he was attached to technology almost from birth - he was certainly hogging his dad's computer by the age of 2.

when Dot came along later we just split the name between them

but it's nice to hear the penny's dropping - it's the closest we're going to get to an income :lol:

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

:lol: I never knew, although I've only ever seen Com being mentioned so I assumed it was an unusual name or shortened version of something :rolleyes:

Techno-babes, hmm?

When C was nearly 3, he was fiddling with the fridge magnets (assorted letters and shapes) and rather smugly came up with 'ww.co.uk', sticking in large red circles for the dots. I was pretty startled, and said 'Good grief, he's spelt out a web address with inch-high dots!'

'What's an inch, Mummy?' says C.

Times change...

L

I only sussed it out about a week ago. :rolleyes:

I thought they were shortened versions of names too.

Any more space in that darkened room please Nellie/Bid ?????

Annie

XX

I assumed Com was some sort of Irish name :o

And that maybe you liked the Wizard of Oz.... hence the name Dot. :hypno:

:unsure:

Lauren :D

I know, I know......Rumplestilstskin!!!?? :lol::lol:

I never clicked on 'til I read this thread either, and Suze I can sympathize, when I first started work in nursing I quite willingly went off in search of 'diabetic eggs' as instructed!! :lol:

We live and learn eh?

Luv Witsend.