Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

Self Management plan set in place

As we're fairly new to educating ourselves with AS I wanted to know whether this has worked for anyone else and how long did it last? We have always had a problem getting Martin (9-year-old AS) out to school in the morning because he is so disorganised - before we had the dx we tried all kinds of ways to get him out of the door on time but it hardly ever worked.

Anyway we implemented Martin's self-management timetable this morning. He set his alarm for 6.45am, got up straight away, watched TV till 7.30am, then did all the other things on the list and was all ready to go (bar his shoes and jumper - shoes not allowed in house and too warm for jumper indoors) by 8am! No fuss, no fights or arguments, no swearing - he just got on with it . He even combed his hair because it was on the timetable and he hardly ever does that! I didn't even have to send him back to re-do his teeth which has to be the first time ever.

So we rewarded him by letting him watch TV again until the appointed leaving time of 8.40am. One little paddy when the shoes got thrown against the porch wall because he was having difficulty getting them on but even that only lasted a minute or so.

Ellie (his twin) also followed the timetable - although got a feeling more of a novelty factor there - and the whole family was calmer including the toddler. We got to school before the bell went and WE WEREN'T EXHAUSTED!

If the timetable works and isn't just a novelty factor I may start a clocking in method so he moves a card to a new slot each time a task is completed - that way I can keep track too and ensure he isn't missing anything out. He's very honest so its unlikely he will be.

See how it goes, hum de hum.

Daisy

:whistle:

Timetables do work well.

The only problem you may encounter is if he is in the middle of watching a TV programme when it is time to do the next task. I used to devise my timetable very carefully - then BBC2 woudl reschedule their programmes!

The TEACCH system usually uses a horizontal or vertical piece of card on which there are several pieces of velcro. The task cards are then velcroed to the card in order, and as each task is finished, the child can remove it from the card and put it into a "completed" box.

Karen

I have been writing to do lists which work apart from when he loses them!!!!

I think I'll make this a bit more substantial after reading this thread.

Lauren

I've always used a poly pocket blu-tacked onto a cupboard door, so that the timetables can be easily changed by slipping them in and out.

Also for my 4 year old, I made one of his week, with a moveable square of orange card using velcro so that he moves it along each day...that way he can see which day it is. I also coloured each day a different colour so that it was clear which day was which.

Bid :)