Have you been awarded DLA and at what rate?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been awarded DLA and at what rate?

• We have NOT been awarded DLA
    • We have been awarded DLA at lowest rate care only
    • We have been awarded DLA at middle rate care only
    • We have been awarded DLA at higher rate care only
    • We have been awarded DLA at lowest rate care AND lowest mobility
    • We have been awarded DLA at middle rate care AND lowest mobility
    • We have been awarded DLA at higer rate care AND lowest mobility
    • We have been awarded DLA at lowest rate care AND higher mobility
    • We have been awarded DLA at middle rate care AND higher mobility
    • We have been awarded DLA at higher rate care AND higher mobility

This is my first poll, so I hope I've done this right. :wub: Would have liked to add our children's ages to it, but don't think I can.

I am interested as to how successful our children are at receiving DLA, from what I have heard it seems to be a bit of a pot luck :wacko:

I received middle rate care for my son for 5 years for his diabetes, no questions asked and no-one else approached. Now he also has been diagnosed with AS and ODD, I have had to re-apply, but this time they've asked the school who isn't too understanding... am wondering if we're going to get it at all now... :(

They are notoriously difficult with first claims, subsequent ones don't seem to be as bad once you are in the system. His diabetes will be taken into account as well as his AS and ODD so that will probably help, as he has multiple diagnoses now. Fingers crossed anyway! If you don't get anywhere appeal, my daughter is pretty much as severe as you can get with her autism and they turned her down flat at first, but caved in to the appeal.

I was wondering how many people get turned down first time but are sucessful either on appeal, reconsideration or applying again at a later date.

Lisa

We got HR care and LR mobility on first application without appeal, second time around they removed the mobility component but we asked them to look at the claim with further evidence (cut a long story short they said he needs 24/7 care at home but no extra care outdoors :hypno: wonder where these decision makers are educated sometimes as they lack any common sense) and we got the mobility back

Hi mther in Need

I have been refused dla but did not go to tribunal My son is 8 and been DX last year in september after more than 2 years strugling with the school.

Mainly the DLA people told me that he is not giving me more work than another child of his age and as well the school been clever enough to state that he has no major pb and he is aware of danger I had said that he would follow any stranger who would nice to him, and that because of anger and impulsivity he can put himself in dangerous situation this was corroborated by his report from the medical team. I asked a review arguing that I was in dispute with the school and I disagree with the way they filled up the form but still the DLA was refused fullstop.

take care.

Malika.

Malika, I am sorry to hear of your experiences. Surely you could re-apply now, or is there a time limit between applications?

Could you please add your vote as a 'I did not receive DLA' so we can get a clearer picture? It'll be interesting to see how many people have been refused it.

Hi

By the way I think you need to wait for 6 months before you can reaply but as I am waiting for an appointment for DNA testing for my son to chech for Fragile X there is no point rushing better wait with possibly some new elements into the file.

Take care.

Malika.

We got J's award last week after reconsideration, middle rate care and low rate mobility. For the reconsideration I sent loads of additional evidence, particularly from sports coaches who I asked to compare him to other children in their same age group and not to be afraid of hurting my feelings. Their reports were spot on. As the DWP (as is their way) were claiming that J needed no more care than any other child his age and that his behaviour was 'age-appropriate', I consulted with my HV for behavioural milestones that were relevant to J's problems and commented on how they affected friendships etc. I also got the written statement of reasons and went through it with a fine-tooth comb, commenting sentence by sentence on why they'd got it wrong. I quoted previous reports where relevant as well.

I've heard it said that 90% of DLA claims get rejected at the first stage because they are scanned rather than read and even if you take measures to make it easier for them (highlighting, bulleting etc) they'll still not read it properly. It's just luck on first submission IMO. If you fail to get it first time you should always ask for reconsideration and often you'll get it because the DMs will then be more thorough. Even more so at appeal where they have to read every word you've submitted since you first lodged your claim.

Karen

x

I'm getting more worried by the minute, reading that, KarenT :wacko: I have heard similar things before as well though, which is why I started this poll. So far (but then we've only got 24 votes so far) nearly everyone has received it. I'll add another poll, re how many tries before people receive it. So watch the next poll!

I'd be interested to know how many people received a visit from one of their medical officers before getting it. So far I think I'm the only one!

Kathryn,

If my memory serves me correctly, we had a visit from the medical officer when my son applied for DLA as an adult. This was 7 years ago.

Nellie xx

I clicked not, because the first time I applied we got turned down flat and I didn't argue. It's now over 2 years since then and I've reapplied and am still waiting to find out if my son is going to get it this time. I was much more thorough with my application this time, and when they wrote to me informing me they were contacting the school I immediately responded by sending them more information.

Lauren

I applied for my eldest son when he was 3.5yrs and had just been diagnosed with ASD. I got a reply within about 3 weeks and was awarded middle-rate care. He's now 5 and probably eligible for the mobility component but to be honest I really can't face that form again. :fight:

I applied for my youngest son when he was 2yrs old, on the advice of his portage worker. Nearly 5 months later and I'm still waiting for them to make a decision - despite numerous phone calls. The thing is that now a lot of the information I gave on the form is out-of-date. Some of those problems have been resolved and now we have new ones in their place. Grrrr! :angry:

Might it take them longer to decide for a 2 year old, because they usually say that at that age ANY child needs full time care?

Saying that, 5 months is too long a time, I wonder if they have 'forgotten' about your claim? Maybe a visit to the CAB and a letter from them might get them moving with your claim?

I got copies of my sons school records today, and was sifting through them and found the form that my the DWP had sent to the school asking them to fill in for my son. I knew the DWP had written to the school. The school have not taken the time to fill in any of the extra information boxes, all they did was tick the yes or no box, and they left totally blank the bit that asks about required supervision outside and inside. Without extra information the yes and no ticks give a view totally out of context with the child. I'm furious at the school's response but glad that because I got my sons records I have the opportunity to write a long letter to the DWP to give my point of view to what the school have said. Just hope it makes a difference. I'm off to the post office now!

Lauren

well after being turned down then later reviewed and changed minds and awarded t with low,we are now in process of appealing it for a higher rate so now awaiting appeal. :angry::o

laure i had the same thing with t previous sch senco in fact that was the reason he was turned down in first place, since going to appeal they sent copy senco sent to them and i have since compiled evidence and complained in writting to the lea and chair of govs, local mp about it and now waiting while they investigate, The dla totally disregarded the reports from his paed and speech and just went on this sencos form hence sending to mp as well.good luck but be prepared for a battle but dont give up.

We got higher rate care and lower mobility first time. I got the school pshycologist to "help" filling in the form. I think it is very important to be thorough when filling in the never ending form(s) the more examples and details you can give the better, it's also very important to list the person they ask for reports from as a professional whom understands this also. We've just re-applied and are waiting to hear what happens this time!! We recently got a letter stating they were writing to the paed. for more information.

Malc

Incidentally - I'm a single parent and can't work at the moment as Callum needs a lot of care at the moment and I only recently found out that Callum was entitled to "disabled Child Premium" as part of Child tax credit and it's made a heck of a difference!! Nobody informed me about it I just discovered it when looking for an address for the tax credits office, does anybody else get this?

Malc

We have just had J's DLA renewed for another three years but at the middle rate for care (was higher). Still getting lower rate mobility.

We are not going to appeal though as to be honest the reduction is justified by the fact that he now reliably seeps through the night and he causes us fewer problems in general (especially since he started at special school.)

Simon

I applied before J was diagnosed with ASD but had been diagnosed with Epilepsy and was refused. I didn't appeal at the time, mainly because I didn't have the energy!

I re applied when he was diagnosed with ASD (just after his 2nd birthday) and we were awarded higher rate care.

I did make sure though that that I only put down for reference professionals who really knew J (ie NOT our GP who has only seen him for ear infections!!!) and I spent about a week filling the damn thing in!!

Incidentally, I wasn't told about the tax credits either - it wasn't til the renewal I think (or I may have contacted them about something else) that I informed them and it has made an amazing difference!!

Denisex

hi

we were awarded high rate personal care when katy was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome, aged 4. we were then told to reapply at age 5 because she could be entitled to mobility component. did all this, but didnt qualify, but still qualify for high rate personal care. should we appeal or just leave it at that?not sure what to do.

thanks

My 9 year old son was awarded middle rate care and lower rate mobility last year. It was approved first time and never questioned at all. It was awarded for 5 years.

He has AS, TS, OCD, ADHD, SID and motor learning problems.

Edited by fairynormal

We were awarded middle rate with lower mobility first time of asking, no problems or queries. After a few years we had to reapply and, again, there were no probs at all. Very straightforward process for us. I assume it will now continue until he's 16 (three years time).

~ Mel ~

We were awarded lower rate mobility after asking for reconsideration 4 times. I have now reapplied early as I still do all care and still haven't been given an answer after 3 months :(

We get lower rate mobility and middle rate care, based on just his adhd dx as we've only just had his autism dx. Not sure whether to inform them or not of his autism dx as I doubt it will make a difference to his award. Turned down on first application so I left it. Went to the local advice centre for the 2nd application after talking to someone else and dla was awarded 2 weeks later. Went back to the advice centre when I had to reapply and was awarded dla 'till he's 16. I doubt many working in the dla office have a clue, my sister had a battle on her hands getting dla for her youngest. It's likely she has cerebral palsy(not dx yet)and until portage wrote on her behalf they gave her just lower rate care and she needs alot of extra care.

we were awarded middle rate care and no mobility at first 4 reece but we went to a tribuneral and now he gets high rate care and low rate mobilty

Nice to see this thread is still going.

I am wondering if I should re-apply for my son, he only gets middle rate care and nothing else, and he has AS, ODD, diabetes type 1 and asthma, and is in a unit with full time 1-2-1. It seems a bit strange I didn't get higher rate, and also no mobility (I mean, how many 13 year olds walk on the street holding their mummy's hand, and are totally incapable of going anywhere by themselves all alone, or of being anywhere without adult supervision....

But it is all the hassle and time that I feel I can do without, and I don't know why they would suddenly give him higher care/lower mobility now when they didn't a year ago...

thats wat i thought but everybody told me to go for it and the tribuneral wasnt half as bad as i thought it would be goodluck watever u decide lv donna

how many 13 year olds walk on the street holding their mummy's hand, and are totally incapable of going anywhere by themselves all alone, or of being anywhere without adult supervision....

It's worth trying to reapply. My lad is exactly the same as yours, 13 and totally dependant on an adult being with him when he's out. It'll be years before I can see him popping over to the shop on his own or even letting me pop over the shop and leave him in the house on his own for five mins. :(

Good luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thanks Mel. What rate are you getting for your son?

I still also feel that they should have added all his problems together, I mean, most here on the forum receive middle to higher rate for their ASD kids, and I know children with diabetes-only usually get middle rate, so why does my son ONLY get middle rate when he has both AS and diabetes, plus oppositional defiant disorder to deal with as well?

I just don't have the energy to try to re-apply, but feel we have the right to a higher rate.

Me too :( Just got their reply today, I was originally getting low rate mobility, now they have given me low rate care too...I feel we're entitled to middle rate care but not sure if I've got the energy to appeal...or know exactly what it is they want to hear in their mysterious language. Oh well.

We have been awarded DLA at higer rate care AND lowest mobility for kurtis and lewis We have been awarded DLA at higer rate care AND lowest mobility as well

Edited by caren

Thanks Mel. What rate are you getting for your son?

We get middle rate care and low rate mobility. I can't quite remember, but I seem to think that we used to get a lower rate and when he reached a certain age and we had to reapply we automatically went up to the next rate.

I still also feel that they should have added all his problems together, I mean, most here on the forum receive middle to higher rate for their ASD kids, and I know children with diabetes-only usually get middle rate, so why does my son ONLY get middle rate when he has both AS and diabetes, plus oppositional defiant disorder to deal with as well?

I just don't have the energy to try to re-apply, but feel we have the right to a higher rate.

You're right, it doesn't seem fair. I don't know how they decide who gets what, maybe it varies according to the person working on it and what kind of day they're having. :blink:

The thought of finding the energy to fight these things does feel daunting, doesn't it, but it could be worth setting aside a particular day to get down to it and you never know, it could just pay off (no pun intended). :lol:>:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

MotherInNeed I know a lady at school who's son has diabetes and she gets highrate care AND mobility! She got his diabetic nurse to write in support for her have you got access to one of these where you are?? Her son gets a bus to and from school each day and plays football for the school team and swims etc...he has no other problems so it must have been something the nurse wrote that helped??

Thanks all!

I have just received a renewal form, apparently he only got awarded for two years, so now I HAVE to re-apply. I will ask the diabetic nurse, the clinical psychologist, and school who is now finally cooperative, and send them his statement (incl 30 hours 1-2-1). Hopefully this time I get the right person...and manage to use the right 'magical' words....

It'll be a while before I'll manage to fill in those forms, have also just received the forms for the family fund grants, and lots of other paperwork to do, but I'll slowly start working on it.