Sign in to follow this  
bid

SENCO...

Hi :unsure:

I had a meeting today with the SENCO at my 4 year old son's Nursery, to let her know that the CDC team will be coming in to observe him in Nursery as part of their assessment.

She was spookily interested, and never said 'But all children sometimes do...', which is what my eldest son's SENCO said to me at a similar age.

So this wrong-footed me, for a start!! :ph34r:

But then she ended by asking if we wanted his Nursery teacher to come with us to the final clinic appointment, where all the other assessments are pulled together and hopefully some sort of conclusion will be reached.

Is it usual to offer this??

My son is very quiet and good, quite passive really...so usually people think I'm mad when I try to explain our concerns. But then out came details of an incident yesterday when he bashed another child round the head with a bowl...but wouldn't or couldn't admit/explain, etc :o

What does this offer mean...does it mean that they actually have some concerns too, or is it a cunning plan to do the dirty in front of the medics and say 'he's fine'?? :ph34r::ph34r:

It's really thrown me...

Any similar experiences, please?

Bid :(

Sounds to me like you may have found yourself a great SENCO :blink: .

We get so used to looking over our shoulders and fighting tooth-and-nail that when a good one comes along we go all :ph34r::ph34r:

Hopefully anyway...... :blink: ..........you've got me at it now!!

xxxx >:D<<'>

Bid,

Considering your history, it's no wonder you're suspicious!! This may be a genuine offer, she may think you will be glad of the support.

It's a tough time, I hope it all goes well.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi Bid

Now why would any one of us think that people are conspiring against us :lol:

Why don't you ask her to prepare a list of concerns/observations that will be taken to the CDC - you can always say that you don't want to repeat what they may say.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Love

Helen

What an offer! I doubt they would send a teacher along just to nobble things. They have to arrange cover and everything - that can cost money, and we all know how much schools like spending that! Do they have any evidence you can use from observations and so on. Ask them! Will keep fimgers crossed but it looks like they are going to back you. Let's hope so...good luck!

T's CDC assessment was done at a local hospital. In attendance were:

me, T (obviously!), Ed Psych, Health Visitor, Paed, Speech Therapist and...( drumroll, please) our SENCO, whose offer to go in for the assessment was a lovely surprise. :D

Between them, we got our dx. They've all, without exception, been great. Although the dx process did take 2 years.... :wacko:

And we're still waiting for the statement to come back.... :pray:

Maybe, like us, you've got a good SENCO. The system makes cynics of us all.

Good luck!

I agree with others, we do get so ground down by the system that we find ulterior motives in everything, but this does sound like a genuine offer to help.

Good luck!

Simon