Sign in to follow this  
oracle

SEN DEBATE

I am interested in the whole debate but don't know how to go about applying pressure.I feel so strongly over the whole thing and am being browbeaten to move my son into mainstream.It will happen OVER MY DEAD BODY.

Is there a group I can join who have a special interest in this area?xx

Those who have the power to make a difference don't seem to have any understanding of ASDs and from them, it just goes further down the line.

Some teachers and Heads though (TES Survey) are starting to wake up to the fact that inclusion can be ok if the right support is in place, that's fine, but it will never apply to everybody. There are lots of children like mine that cannot cope with mainstream, but wouldn't have stood a hope in hell of getting into a special school. We've got something that OK for Alex, but there's going to be many more Alex's. What is going to happen to them??

People have to start realising that 'one cap doesn't fit all' and you can't make it fit.

Annie

XX.

Very interesting. Dissapointing too. One thing in particular stood out in the reply to the issues raised re: Debbie Storey. No mention of steps being taken by LEAs to address the needs of parents with their own SEN issues and how they are to be supported in supporting any children they have with SEN. I cannot break a confidence by saying too much but I have had contact with 1 parent who has AS whose own children have SEN issues. The school refuse to deal with this parent due to the abrubt manner they display towards school staff. They will not speak to them or allow them into school (except at pre-arranged times such as parents evenings etc). There is much more to it. But this parent would be in a position to help this school so much if they only knew it. As they won't communicate with them I guess they will never know the opportunity they are missing.

just got this - I think because I submitted to the SEN committee - might be of interest

e-mail: edskillscom@parliament.uk

Homepage:http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_committees/education_and_skills_cmmittee.cfm

Forthcoming meetings

The Education and Skills Committee has arranged the following meetings to be held in the Wilson Room, Portcullis House:

CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION Monday 24 October at 3.45pm

Evidence from:

Professor Sir Bernard Crick;

Miriam Rosen, Director Education and Scott Harrison HMI, Ofsted;

Keith Ajegbo, Headteacher, Deptford Green School; and

John Clarke, Deputy Director, Children?s Services, Hampshire County Council.

HIGHER EDUCATION Wednesday 26 October at 9.30am

Evidence from:

Professor J. Drummond Bone, President, Universities UK

SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS Monday 31 October at 3.45pm

Evidence from:

Baroness Warnock

THE AMALGATION OF OFSTED AND ALI Monday 31 October at 4.45pm approx

Evidence from:

David Sherlock, Chief Inspector, Adult Learning Inspectorate

PUBLIC EXPENDITURE Wednesday 2 November at 9.30am

Evidence from:

Rt hon Ruth Kelly MP, Secretary of State for Education and Skills

LEARNING AND SKILLS COUNCIL Monday 7 November at 3.45pm

Evidence from:

Chris Banks, Chairman, and Mark Haysom, Chief Executive, Learning and Skills Council

THE WORK OF OFSTED Wednesday 9 November at 9.30am

Evidence from:

David Bell, Her Majesty?s Chief Inspector of Schools, and Ofsted officials

Information about the Education and Skills Committee

The Education and Skills Committee is one of the House?s Select Committees related to government departments: its terms of reference are to examine �the expenditure, administration and policy of the Department for Education and Skills and its associated public bodies�. The Committee chooses its own subjects of inquiry, within the overall terms of reference. It invites written evidence from interested parties and holds public evidence sessions, usually in committee rooms at the House of Commons, although it does have the power to meet away from Westminster. At the end of each inquiry, the Committee will normally agree a Report based on the evidence received. Such Reports are published and made available on the Internet. Copies are sent free to those who give oral evidence. Reports usually contain recommendations to the Government and other bodies. The Government by convention responds to reports within about two months of publication. These responses are also published.

The membership of the Committee is as follows:

Mr Barry Sheerman (Chairman) Labour, Huddersfield

Dr Roberta Blackman-Woods Labour, City of Durham

Mr David Chaytor Labour, Bury North

Mrs Nadine Dorries Conservative, Mid Bedfordshire

Jeff Ennis Labour, Barnsley East & Mexborough

Mr David Evennett Conservative, Bexleyheath and Crayford

Tim Farron Liberal Democrats, Westmorland and Lonsdale

Helen Jones Labour, Warrington North

Mr Gordon Marsden Labour, Blackpool South

Stephen Williams Liberal Democrats, Bristol West

Mr Rob Wilson Conservative, Reading East

Personal information held by the Education and Skills Committee is strictly for the use of the Committee and will not be passed on to any other organisation. If you have any concerns about information held by the Committee please contact the Committee Clerk, House of Commons, Education and Skills Committee, 7 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Parliament Disclaimer:

This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zemanski

hope so - I'll get Nemo on the case, he's really good with tracking down programmes. I'm hopeless, I get bored and distracted too easily so I give up and don't bother to watch anything.

Z