Sign in to follow this  
lisann

Halloween

Hi all

Char won't wear halloween costumes or masks infact he is going to a halloween party on Friday he wants to go let's just hope it goes ok...

Does anyone else have this problem?

Lisa :)

Edited by lisann

We're going to a party on Monday but its optional fancy dress, so he's got a magicians cloak suit I got from Tescos, that way he can wear it if he wants and no masks etc. He's never wanted to dress up before, ever, but I think when he sees the other children dressed up he might want to wear it for a little while.

My son is not interested in dressing up at all. However, give him a pair of fancy socks to wear and he would be totally delighted. Might get him some skeleton socks out of Sainsburys and then he will be dressing up his own unique way!

Elaine

Same here. J hates dressing up and doesn't see the point in it. There have been two exceptions, both centred around his obsessions: when he was four he WAS Virgil Tracy and wore 'the suit' almost constantly. The second is Harry Potter and if he's in that fad he'll wear the cloak and glasses to be in character. But he's never been like other children who have a dressing up box full of Hulk, Spiderman etc outfits because he's just not into that sort of thing.

Karen

x

We're on our 3rd Halloween and he loves it but costumes are not easy, his first truly Halloween-aware year he had to be a washing machine. Last year I was so relieved he wanted to be Nemo, something I could just buy (lazy me, it was a rough year and I was tired!). This year he wants to be a record player so it's back to constructing with boxes and styrofoam.

He's very particular and we have a few small discussions over how he WANTS it to be and what will actually WORK but we'll get there.

I don't see him ever willing to wear a mask, I wanted him to wear a hat with a record glued on it to be the stacked record next in the que but he won't do it :lol:

Martin wanted to be a demon (again!!) - one of his strange interests linked to computer roleplaying games. This year we bought wings, hairy hands, a mask, red hair spray and a demon staff.

He wouldn't wear the wings or the hands at all because he didn't like the feel of them, wore the mask and the hair spray and the staff plus his everyday red hoody.

He loves the idea of dressing up but hates the actual activity. He went to a party last night but got very over-excited which I don't think went down too well with some of the parent's of younger children.

Classic comment was about his friend's mum: "I know why Tracy wasn't at church this morning, she was preparing the house for Halloween!"

I love the idea that church had to be put on hold for a pagan festival! :lol::lol:

Daisy

oh no Char won't let me answer the door to the poor trick or treaters.He is so scared of the mask and every time a knock on the door he shouts no mummy scary masks get you.

Poor Char and poor kids never mind just have to put up with it for tonight.

Lisa x :(

My son won't dress up either. In fact he's upstairs playing his computer and has no desire to go out in the cold.

He does quite like his pumpkin though and wants to take it to bed tonight. Should be interesting!

My son will just about dress up, but only if it's a characature he's into (ie; scooby doo). He refuses to put on a mask and gets quite upset if i do, he just keeps trying to 'find' my face.

We've answered the door to a couple of trick-or-treaters, but he hides until he hears them speek. After that he's ok, a bit guarded, but ok.

We have had lots of fun looking for a shaggy outfit for a friends fancy dress party - even found a scooby doo outfit for our dog :lol::lol:B) - not too sure she'll be quite so pleased!

Well we went to the party, he put his outfit on, allowed us to take his picture, got to the party, one person said he looked great so he took it back off :rolleyes:

We went trick-or-treating, J dressed as Harry Potter complete with Hedwig and bouncing with excitement. He managed well, apart from grabbing armfuls of swag instead of taking just one. Managed to remember some 'thank yous' as well.

Halloween's changed such a lot since I was a kid. The streets were packed and lots of houses were decorated to Christmas proportions, with candles lighting pathways and pumpkins in the windows to show who was at home to visitors. When I was little the grown ups seemed to consider it a bit of a bind, something the older kids did on their own, but now everybody seems to take part in it. One house had the front room all lit up with pumpkins and lights and other decorations, but no sign of kiddie paraphernalia around so it looked like there were no children living there, but she'd baked fantastic cakes with jelly slugs on them etc. Nobody would have done that a few years back.

But then, I am very, very old.

Karen

x

both of mine were vamps - Com looked really cool in gold waistcoat and cloak although there was a bit of a problem with him having to keep part of the dreaded school uniform on (no other black trousers)

we go across town to a friend's because they really don't bother over our way - boring toads!

when we lived in scotland the whole village used to go 'guising' which was lovely. the kids didn't get sweets only fruit and monkey nuts (yes, I know that's a bit dodgey but it is very traditional) and the children have to actually perform a trick or rhyme or something to get anything - it was such a community event, I really miss it.

don't think the kids even remember though

Zemanski

Our 3 youngest went out to 'Trick or Treat' as normal (with mum I hasten to add). Phas jr didn't want to go. Oh no! What he wanted to do was dress up and sit outside the front door - in costume :ph34r: . He sat there for about three hours still as a statue, except when 'Trick or Treaters' arrived :devil: . Flipping heck!

I was watching this on cctv...he scared people witless. Most thought he was a person dressed up - but then when he didn't move they thought perhaps not (bear in mind he was surrounded by skeletons and blow up ghosts etc.). So they'd come up to knock on the door, he'd wait right till the last minute and then speak! This was all his own idea. He had a brilliant time. Everyone thought it was fantastic!! :thumbs:

H went to the party dressed as beast from beauty and the beast, after 10 mins he thought it was to itchy and took it off the ran around in his underwear! He refused to join any of the games or even come into the hall just ran around in the entrance hall. Near the end he suddenly joined in a game- musical satutes then when he was out- he didn't move according to him- shouted " curse you!" about 10 times at the judges! :lol: :oops

All the other children there were from his school- and the teachers say they can't see a problem!

How funny Phasmid!!! I can just picture the peoples faces :o:o:lol:

I got dragged (ok, ok, i wanted to :D ) to Thorpe Park last week for fright night. A group of us from work went there. It was open until 10pm and had a couple of extra bits on for Halloween. The best one was The Asylum - just a mirrored maze - but with flashing lights and people dressed up, jumping out infront of you. A haven't screamed - and laughed - so much in years B) .

I have only attended one Halloween party in my life and that was when I was 11. It took place in a local church hall and most kids were dressed up as witches or wore masks. I had no idea what I was supposed to represent by wearing a black cloak and a top hat, but they were the only things I had at home that were suitable for the occasion.

The vicar walked in and threw a fit. He shouted "what in Jesus's ###### name is going on in here? Witches in a church! Get out of here! Shift your ar*e! Move it!". He was only in his 30s but very strict and opposed to pagan rituals or anything that could be interpreted as the work of Satan.

:o any type of costume a big no no.From a young age was terrified of anything in a mask or costume, after seeing that Steven King film about the clown(think it was called IT )..I can totally understand.

It has crossed my mind more than once that Stephen King suffers from AS. One needs to have a seriously miswired brain to write stuff along the lines of what he has written.

Suze. How young is young? The film about the clown is IT with an age rating of 18.