Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

Fireworks - yes or no?

we have been invited to a fireworks party next week. now we have a dilemma one of our kids loves fireworks tom hates them. i want to go to this party too, but there is no-one to take care of tom.

these days we never seem to go out as a family im sick of staying at home with tom when my duaghter and hubby go out to parties.

Would you take him, and allow him to stay indoors while the fireworks are popping or have yet another night at ho me with him? :unsure:

my dh drives and i dont thats why i never go out

Edited by elaine1

Nemo and I try to take turns taking the children out but today we're all going to the cinema - I'm going with Com to the corpse bride and Nemo's taking Dot to Nanny Mcphee - both of us want to see both but the compromise is just about OK (as long as I buy Nemo the DVD for Xmas (he loves Tim Burton animation)

we don't have the firework problem - Com is under-responsive to sound stimuli so has always loved fireworks.

I think I would try the taking but allowing to stay inside option (you can always call a taxi early if it doesn't work out) or the 'it's my turn' option might work if you get DH to drop you off and maybe get a taxi home.

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

My son usually hates them but last year he suprised us all, me and a good friend took both my boys to an organised display, prepared him well in advance, and he was fine. He stood and didn't move for the whole display, only panic was when it got dark but we gave him a torch. Me and my friend who know what he's usually like with noise couldn't believe it.

Saying that this year they've already ben going off here and he's having screaming matches every night.

I think what made the difference is we showed him a display on DVD (can't remember what fim was on now) and he was going there expecting them to go of one after the next and we told him there were firemen there to keep it safe etc. Where as at home they are going off when he is not expecting them which scares him the most where as he knew when these would start, they were constant then when they would stop. Same as he hates the noise in school when suddenly a child runs and screams but can handle play areas most of the time as he's expecting it to be noisey.

Mine hates loud noises, so won't participate in firework events or go to them. He tells me off every year, because he can still hear them while in the house, insists I go outside and tell them all to stop :blink:

Matthew loves fireworks but hates the noise. We went to a HUGE display as part of Houghton Feast. Terry found a spot to park the car and Matthew watched the fireworks from inside the car. It helped with the noise.

But if you always get to stay home with Tom while Dad has fun with your daughter you could do a swap?

It is hard not being able to do everything as a family we tend to live as two seperate units most of the time in here but so far we have not found a solution.

Speaking of films as anyone seen Sky High? I loved it - not sure about the kids though :lol:

Carole

I haven't been to Houghton Feast for years :blink:

Must agree some things it's really hard with as you can't do them as a family which other people take for granted.

It is very hard. We have never been to a firework display as a family.

DH usually takes my dd and one ds. The other two stay at home wih me. Kerre is usually okay with watching them through the window but youngest has to lie in bed with earphones on cowering under two duvets.

I hate to sound like a party pooper but I was actually quite relieved when the government put restrictions on how late they can go on till - even though I hate the thought of a nanny state. Round our way they used to go on forever and throughout the year.

This year we're going to go to a talk on the chemistry of fireworks at the Royal Institution - I'm taking earplugs and have made contingency plans.

I'd be tempted in your place to take them all but get a taxi to leave the motor running for a quick getaway if it all goes pear-shaped. good luck to everyone!

Barefoot

thanks, i think i might do the stay indoors and call for a taxi buisiness. although this couple live quite a way from us and it will cost a fortune

T went to a fireworks display a few years ago and hated it. Loved the light but literally shaking and screming from the noise so from then on, we stayed home and he watched from the window which he can tolerate as we have double glazing.

We'll be staying home this year too.

Just wanted to add, was chatting to a policeman the other week (I called about something totally different and we kinda got chatting! LOL) and asked about the ban on buying fireworks which was supoposed to come into force this year, he said that it is definately coming into force in 2006 so this year guys, is the last year anyone can buy, use or sell fireowrks in public. Next year and onwards, you can only view fireworks if you go to a proper display where strict safety and lega rules apply! Dunno if that's just for Wales mind you but thought it might help!! It'll be peaceful on Bonfire Night from next year on!!! :D

Usually yes - but we need to find one that's not too crowded and ear defenders are a fantastic invention! M loves the colours - not so keen on the noise. We usually find a quiet spot - not crowded - far enough away from the display - i usually carry him (dead arms that night then :wacko::) ) and he loves it. B)

Just a case of preparation xxxxxx

Hi,

there are loads of really good downloads of firework displays and some interactive ones where you can control the 'bang' (crayola is the one I remember )

My son has got lots on his desktop, tomorrow I'll find some links (my, I'm feeling optomistic about my pc skills !)

Some are noisy, some have classical music, the noisy ones are great preparation for the real thing.

Ear defenders are your best defence, they're great. Am thinking we need a Krism advert stuck to each ear(phone)

wac

P.S. anyone looking for carwash downloads too, I'm your woman !!!

Edited by waccoe

My lad also hates Halloween ! so that's another peer grouping he stays well clear of. Not that I'm worried about these things any more, my area has a hard-core of morons, who make the whole idea of annual festivals an ordeal by fire. Summer holidays are a never-ending litany of rows, vandalism and general mayhem, easter appears to be the quietest of the lot, while Halloween, Xmas even, and Bonfire night, means most around here stay well indoors and leave youth to rule the streets, which they do to the utter annoyance of everyone.

Tonight my partner and I will not bother to answer our front door to anyone, we got abuse last year from a bunch of 9 yr olds, who spat at us because we didn't give them money, which they demanded we give, then threw eggs at the doors and windows. I don't want my son emulating any of that.

I think my son is well out of it frankly. They do a small thing in school, which is moderated and controlled, lets face it, if an Aspie doesn't like these things, you cannot tell them any different., and it's pointless to take them to these events if they are going to get upset about them, just to see them 'the same as other children', they aren't. Perhaps do something in the house for him.

Yes if he were my son I would take him even if I had to sit indoors with him.

Has Tom said what he doesn't like about fireworks? Is it just the noise?

Maybe he has seen something about people getting injured in previous years (sorry don't know his age or how much tv he watches).