Sign in to follow this  
supersec

LEA - whose side are they on?

Very upset and very very very angry :angry:

The LEA phoned me yesterday to tell me that Julian will not be statemented after all. Apparently he is not "autistic enough".

Argghhhhhhh :wallbash:

How Autistic is Autistic? :crying:

Am going to phone them again today and am speaking with his Paediatrician (sp?) and am going to have a very big rant.

Any one got any good ideas of how I go about sorting this out without actually committing murder and doing time?

Caroline

The LEA phoned me yesterday to tell me that Julian will not be statemented after all. Apparently he is not "autistic enough".

:angry::angry:

I would give IPSEA a call to see what advice they can give.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

They are very helpful. If you don't get hold of them straight away, keep trying, they are very busy, but they really know their stuff. I'm sure they will be interested to hear the 'not autistic enough' quote as well.

Annie

>:D<<'>

LEAs do not understand autism very well in general, nor do they realise the implications of the diagnosis adequately. Their primary concern, encouraged by the government, is to avoid giving statements - they actually have targets to keep the numbers down - and to save money

call IPSEA and parent partnership (be persistent with IPSEA, they are excellent but you need to keep redailling to get through - the number is on their website) - you must appeal within 15 days against the decision not to issue a statement, you will need all he help and advice you can get if you go down this route

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

Zemanski

Hi Caroline

I agree. Contact IPSEA. They are very interested in LEA's using illegal criteria when determining whether a child needs to have a Satement of Special Eductional Need.

I know that parental choice of school may be quite important for you and the statement will enable you to have more of a choice.

Best wishes

HelenL

In response to your question "whose side are they on?" - I think you are finding out the hard way, that is is not your side or that of your child.

Its an organisation based in uk which assist parents/carers with special educational needs issues. Its voluntary and satffed I believe mianly by parents of sen children. They are v helpful.

IPSEA = Independent Panel for Special Education Advice

An advisory body that supports parents in the UK.

You can find out more at www.ipsea.org

Simon

Independent Panel for Special Educational Advice.

It is a Charity and gives free advice on such things as Statementing. They are very experienced and knowledgeable but very much in demand.

As it is a service operated in the main by volunteers, it does take time to access.

It also operates a Tribunal Support service to help parents prepare for presentation of their case before a Tribunal.

Best wishes

Helen

Caroline

You must be gutted. My forstthought is that the LEA are talking ###### because a statement is in response to a childs needs not his diagnosis.

I would definitely agree about phoning IPSEA, and make sure you get there reasons in writing.

Simon

Guest hallyscomet

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Can I add whenever I had trouble with anything or anyone my sons Paediatrician would always come to the rescue with a letter or a visit, have you one doctor that has your childs history. This really helps.

I wish you all the best :pray:

Hope all goes ok.

Regards

Hailey

My forstthought is that the LEA are talking ###### because a statement is in response to a childs needs not his diagnosis.

I would definitely agree about phoning IPSEA, and make sure you get there reasons in writing.

Totally agree with Simon's posting, get it in writing from the LEA definitely, and crack on with your appeal against their decision. We will all help I'm sure as much as we can, and bearing in mind my own recent experiences, get on the phone or email to your local newspaper and MP, it certainly rattled my LEA's cage and the turn around in their attitude has been fantastic.

I'd love to see what exactly their reasons are for not agreeing to do a statement.

HHxx

sorry, we are UK based so tend to give UK based advice - I wish I knew who to send you to in Australia - does your LEA have a website - there may be a number for an advice line for SEN parents something like our parent partnership

also do a web search for organisations supporting ASD/SEN children - some may have an advocacy service

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Zemanski

LEAs serve themself and the interests of central government. They will do everything in their power not to issue statements or bend over backwards to accomodate SEN.

This is very tough news - hopefully you will be able to fight on as there are many parents on here who have managed to overturn negative LEA decisions.

LEAs are often very reluctant to fund statements because they are so expensive and legally enforcable

Thank you all for your responses.

I have been in touch with IPSEA and am writing a letter to the LEA asking them to do a statutory assessment and see what happens from there, said to give them six weeks and then to go to tribunal if not got any response.

Thanks again to all of you!

It is a start!

Supersec

Any one got any good ideas of how I go about sorting this out without actually committing murder and doing time?

Er....no. Committing murder sounds reasonable to me. :devil::devil: (said with tongue firmly in cheek before a moderator jumps on me for inciting violence ;) )

No seriously Caroline, I understand the frustration you feel. :wallbash:>:D<<'> . I also had my LEA telling me that my daughter was not autistic enough to be statemented when it is patently clear to everyone who has met her that she is.

Don't worry, if a statutory assessment hasn't been carried out yet, you are still at the beginning of the process and the LEA will have to consider your request seriously. They will try to fob you off as much as they can but don't be put off, and take all the advice you can from IPSEA.

And don't forget, we are always here when you need a rant. >:D<<'>

K

You have every right to be upset and angry. Not autistic enough!!!! :angry:

It will be interesting to hear their reasons for refusal. Keep us posted.

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>