Sign in to follow this  
Deborah 1

can anyone give me some tips

Luke is now three years old and i have been trying for the past six months to get him to use a cup or plastic beaker to no avail.

Because he is stuck in this routine with his baby beaker i cant seem to break the circle. I have tried leaving a small cup on the table while we eat taking his beaker away then he wont drink

i have even tried playing games with a straw in the cup and got my face badly scratched

does anyone have any ideas please

deborah

you could try getting him a doidy cup,which has a slanted side which he may find easier to drink out of before progressing onto a normal cup.

http://www.benefitsnowshop.co.uk/shop/detail/1041.htm

:)

p.s-india is 3 and a half and still has a bottle in the morning and at night time

Edited by lindy-lou

Actually, I'd leave it for the moment -- C still wanted his morning milk from a baby beaker right through the first year of school, after which he abandoned it without much pushing from us. Sometimes things just take longer than you expect... a lot longer! Sometimes, too, the more you try to break a habit, the more entrenched it gets.

All the best,

L xx

My eldest (3 1/2) still has a baby bottle of milk before bed. My advice would be to tell him that he needs a cup and ask him if he'd like to go shopping with you to choose one and take him somewhere that'll sell one with his favourite character on like Bob the Builder or Fimbo or something.

Luke is now three years old and i have been trying for the past six months to get him to use a cup or plastic beaker to no avail.

Because he is stuck in this routine with his baby beaker i cant seem to break the circle. I have tried leaving a small cup on the table while we eat taking his beaker away then he wont drink

i have even tried playing games with a straw in the cup and got my face badly scratched

does anyone have any ideas please

deborah

Adam was 5 when he gave up the bottle. He did it on his own without much fuss but we waited a long time so he was ready. I think the more you push and make a big deal of it the less likly thay are to try new things. Maybe offer an alternative at meal times and keep it relaxed. Thates wot i did. When he did use a proper cup i made him think it was a real treat then verry slowly increased the use which is wot he wonted like i said he thout of it as a treat. it took a long time but it worked. I wouldent push it thoue he will get ther in his own time and thers no harm in bittles or beakers. Exuse spelling

If he is actually capable of drinking from a cup, then sometimes it works if you say "When boys are four, they drink out of a cup". Say it occasionally up til his birthday, to prepare him. Buy him a child-friendly cup, and on his 4th Birthday, put the beaker in the bin (or wrap it up to send to the babies that need it).

It will only work if you are determined that the beaker is gone - the child can tell if you mean it or not!

Or you could try getting him to use a cup at his Nan's (say you forgot to bring his beaker), and then gradually increase that to other places apart from home, and then hopefully to home.

Or is there a new type of drink that you know he would like, that you could say only comes in a cup? Milkshake? Hot chocolate? Smoothie?

Or if he has an older cousin/friend that he looks up to, sometimes they can persuade them in a way you can't.

Or - watch House of Tiny Tearaways on BBC3!! There have been several children on their who won't give up their beaker/bottle.

Karen

If you really want to get shot of it have you thought about a sports bottle, or take him shopping to choose a mug / cup / glass with a picture on he likes (fav cartoon or something). Or how about painting his own!! There is a supermarket that sells cups that you paint (paints are supplied) and then all you have to to is bake it in a normal ovan for 30mins to set the paint then it is diswasher safe and very very hard to brake. PM me if you want the shops name (not sure if I am allowed to post it). They are quite cheap too (around 3 to 5 pounds) maybe a good xmas gift and fun activity for you to share.