Sign in to follow this  
Hectorshouse

A year on ...

A year ago T was only able to go to school part-time, was considered abusive, truculent, manipulative, violent etc ... etc ...

Now he is full time and doing so well that I wanted to share his home school diary comments for today ...

T had a brilliant morning. He worked really well in drama in a group of four boys. They came up with a great storyline and worked brilliantly as a team. Period 2 was maths with Mr B, again T had a good lesson really on task and focused. Lesson 3 T's favourite editing the English Project (video he directed, filmed, and mostly wrote) with the technician, as a result we had a full lesson to revise for the Science test - T decided he wanted to try it. T did some revision for his Science test in period 4. The test was taken with the use of a reader and a scribe in a private room, so T was well supported. He attempted 70% of the test which is very good. He was a bit agitated and stressed after the test but he was then given half an hour to relax and get over this. He can be really proud of himself today as he has tried really hard.

Now thats what I call communication, understanding and support, he has a fab TA and a fab SENCO, its amazing the difference in such a short space of time, in June last year Cornwall were basically telling me he was unteachable ... PAH!!!!! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Cornwall LEA ...

I'm thinking of photocopying the book and posting it to old SENCO witch ... :devil:

Anyway a very big well done to my T, and he has made his mummy really really proud :wub:

HHxx

Edited by Hectorshouse

Fantastic news!!! :dance: Well done both of you, you have worked so hard.

It just shows what CAN be done if people take the trouble to understand.

HH how much do we all need to hear stories like this >:D<<'> to you and your son. Just goes to show doesn't it what can be done. How many of our kids are written off by staff who cannot and willnot be bothered.

Thank you everyone, I have a very happy T, its been a good day so far, have managed to sort my money problems out today which is a huge weight off my mind, got a week off work next week and T is just doing so fab its great.

HHxx

That is truly brill!..........you must be sooooo pleased :D .The detail in the home/school diary is brill some much info.I,m lucky if mine gets filled in.Things seem to be going really well yipee :groupwave::groupwave::groupwave:

Thanks guys, I suppose I do forget about me sometimes, but I don't really feel I did this, yep maybe I found the school and have persisted in getting the right provision, but T has been the one whose done all the hard work.

It just goes to show in the right environment our children can and do flourish, I never gave up on T but I have seen so many so called professionals give up on him and consider him an inconvenience (at best). I have high hopes for my young man, there is not a day that goes by when he doesn't surprise me in some way, and he is growing up fast now which is quite hard as now I'm having to learn to let go a bit as well.

I just wish there were more SENCO's like ours, she doesn't understand what it is that they do differently, as she honestly believes that everyone should be doing what they are and doesn't understand why they aren't (Exeter schools in mind here, considering the problems getting a placement for T). All I know is that they see ASD children from a very different perspective, and understand and respect the fact that the majority cannot be forced into the square peg that is mainstream education, differentiation is key and where T is they have fully taken that on board.

HHxx

Hi HH,

That must have been so lovely to read. Well done to T :clap:

Kai's doing well at his new special school too. Yesterday he came home with a medal round his neck and a certificate for good behaviour :wub: . This is the boy who was excluded from mainstream school for being violent, aggressive and un-cooperative.

Hooray for understanding teachers :thumbs: ! We need more of them.

Loulou x

Hi HH

Fan - ######- tastic. This story is an inspiration to all of us - it can be done. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Perhaps you could let the Dfes know about this SENCO and when they are revising the Good Practice Guidance, they can use this as an exemplar of how it should be done. :whistle:

Love

Helen

Great news HH, well done to both of you! I know you have fought so hard to get the right provision for him, so it is extra great that he is responding so well!

And my oh my, the support at that school is sooooooo good. I would love to 'borrow' that SENCO!