Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

I HAVE BOUGHT A VOICE TAPE MACHINE _WHAT U CARRY ABOUT

GOT IT FROM ARGOS

IVE HAD ENOUGH_IM RECORDING HIM THEN TAKING IT INTO HOSPITAL DR

AS HES NOT DOING MUCH OF THIS BEHAVIOUR IN CLASS_I WANT THEM TO LISTEN TO THE HELL I GO THROUGH EVERYDAY AND TELL ME THAT ITS NOT AUTISTIC!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant idea rainbow.

I often fealt no one beleived me because when my son went for assesments he behaved like the model citizen and my description of a rampageing violent screaming child always fell on deaf ears.

He goes to a special school and even though that school is brilliant they also didnt beleive that my son could be a little monster at times.Againe the structure of the school meant they saw very little of this behaviour displayed.

But when he got home hed have a meltdown and scream and stuff like a release at being in controll all day.So one day when this happened i phoned the school and asked to speak to the headmaster i then held the telephone out.He said whoes that i said its **** he culdnt beleive it but he had to.From then on when we discussed the problems i had to endure at home they listened and took me seriousley.

How about useing a video camera as well making a tape of the behaviour.

I have often thought taping or video recording was a good idea but there so much choice I dont know whats good or bad. Just want something easy to use that ideally I can putonto dvds to show on computer any ideas? Oh and that is nt too expensive?

I have often thought taping or video recording was a good idea but there so much choice I dont know whats good or bad. Just want something easy to use that ideally I can putonto dvds to show on computer any ideas? Oh and that is nt too expensive?

I've been looking at this one http://www.x10.co.uk/cameras/wideeye_xcam2/index.html as I'm thinking along the same lines. J's behaviour is impeccable whenever there's someone else around so this would prove that all's not sweetness and light.

Karen

x

Beware when videoing it can make the tantrum worse!!! I have videod m a couple of times and it was like adding petrol to a fire. It does however give a very good insight into the behaviour just make sure you hold the camera tightly. :blink:

it was ?30 but there was cheaper ones but this one takes normal size audio cassettes that you can put in any hi-fi[as the other ones are micro tapes] and id have trouble giving people copys of these.

i do also own a camcorder but thought taping his voice may be bit easier and lighter to carry about and he cant see me doing it as much-as you tend to need to be quick to get the moments on tape.

a while back i did record him on video on my mobile we i showed to his drs at hospital they did observe it but im thinking they thought it may be one offs- it was on a trip back from seeing santa last year and he screamed blue murder all the way in the place and back down the road on way home my mum had to drag him home so i though as i had phone with me id tape it.

Thing is though and this is what we should be complaining about why should we as parents not be beleived when we say our children behave like this or that.

Why are we brushed aside and looked at as though were making it all up.

I used to get so bloomeing angry that my son went for assesments basically once every 2 years and that they only lasted 30 minutes>thats how they assessed hjim and low and behold he never displayed any AS behaviours let alone meltdowns in this allocated period.

They just looked at me as though i was stupid when i reeled of all the trouble we were haveing and said stuff like well he doesnt appear to us to be capable of doing this.

The thing is i was kinda lucky.

y son was born with a congenital abnormality call bi lateral choanal atresia which meant he was in the system and receiving help early on because of this condition the AS was if you like a bi product that took years to get reconised and then they wont rubber stamp it on his medical records.I often wonder how id have gone on if he hadnt had other more obvious problems.Because no one ever listens to the mother or father.Were just brushed aside.

Drs can sometimes have the if we dont see it her and now then we dont care what you say it doesnt happen and youre a fussy mother.

Hi.

I was going to hide digi camcorder and then take it to school, s/s, but a few telephone conversations and they overheard him anyway.

In the end they said to me that they do know he is like this for me and they do understand but now they are trying to say that because it's only happening when he is with me that something must be going on between me and him (the cheek of social services).

Then the heath visitor said to me that I should definatly not do this as it would be damaging for him, she wouldn't listen when I sait it was just to show proffesionals who believe there is nothing wrong with him.

In the end I didn't do it but s/s have seen the damage he has done to myself and in my home and still think that it's more a prob with me and child.

I would definatly do it if I were you.

I know that our Autism Outreach Team have advised parents to record their children in home themselves. Especially when there are problems in the home because of school. I think it's a good idea myself. The other option is to get them into your home to see and hear for themselves but that is never going to happen is it?

Carole

I think the idea is brilliant and have done the video clips myself, and yes be warned, it is like adding fuel to the fire. HOWEVER when I sent it to social services they accused me of abusing his human rights........ they were quite nasty for quite some time, and they also accused me of bad parenting and all that cr*p. This was before he had his diagnoses, but once he had that SS disappeared into the woodwork and only came out when threatened regularly with legal action.

All I want to say is, do be careful how you present those recordings and keep a close eye out on how they're reacting to them, it might turn things around into a completely different ballgame

Sorry to be so gloomy.

i understand what you are saying .

but if they dare throw that at me-i will say well there you go you actually get the evidence and because you dont actually want to hear about[cause of money -again] you turn it around with that excuse.

my health visitor and social services have had dealings with me before and are aware im a good parent and my gp.

i have been visited at home a few times and there is evidence but i want to back it up with the extreme difficult situations my son finds which they never actually see like-

getting up in morning and actually getting dressed

brushing teeth

transition from hallway to attempted going some where

controlling my younger son

but most all the literal conversations or should i say arguments he has with me-what better evidence can you get but hearing it straight from his own mouth

hes passive in class and wont co operate with strangers so no one ever hardly sees the side that i and my family do------and you know what i think sometimes they glad they dont because they dont want to admit that another child needs extra goverment money spending on them.