Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

What are your kids sleep patterns like

Hi

How do your kids sleep? Mine are a total nightmare at the moment. My asd 5 year old son goes to bed without much trouble- however wakes up at 1.30 - comes to visit us in our bedroom. Gets removed and put back in his bed. He then usually wakes up again during the night. In the meantime, his little 2.5 yr old sister is a total nightmare going to bed - the past few nights I have taken her out in the car to get her to sleep - ie she usually nods off at 9.45pm and then will wake up during the night...............

Gosh I am absolutely knackered!

Forbsay

x

My 2.5 year old no problem. Goes to bed at 7.30ish and generally don't hear a peep until 7.00ish next morning. M however makes up for them both!! :( He goes to bed at roughly the same time but is still awake any time up to 11.30. He constantly comes downstairs with lists of problems. he is just not tired. We however are, we get no time to ourselves and i would be lucky to sit through an entire tv programme! Sometimes he is still awake when i go to bed. Once asleep he will groan very loudly when he needs the toilet, he never just wakes up! So i have to carry him from his bed (he has a cabin bed) and take him to the loo where he starts crying because he doesn't know where he is!! This can continue for 20 min until he finally goes!

So must say i know how the sleep thing affects you. Oh and m is tired next morning through lack of sleep so i have trouble getting him up.

mum22boys

My AS daughter is usually still up and down the stairs until 11.30./12.00 and up for school at 7.30.

with the christmas disruption Ben goes to sleep at 11.30ish and up at around 8.30. he used to go to sleep at 10.30 and up at 7.30.

Viper.

Ive 14 year old daughter who stays up while all houres watching tv in her room.Then moans and whinges when i shout her to get up at 7 am for school because shes tired.Weve told her not to watch tv but like all teens they do what they like.

Our son AS he will only go to bed when me and his dad go up to bed.If we send him upstaires so we can have time alone its a waste of time because he gets in and out of bed roams about and goes into his sisters room causeing bother.So although annoying its best he stays downstaires with us.He does sleep through though once in bed.

Lack of sleep and lack of time alone with youre partner arent nice.But what can we do Lots of caffene to keep us going through the day they all fall asleep eventually dont they !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Paula

my son isnt too bad -its the getting there process thats the trouble like changing his clothes to pjs-he just hates changing clothes[same in morning]

he will wake up with what ive been told by dr night terrors several times about an hour or two after hes gone off sleep. he screams and crys and have to go in his room several times.

india goes to bed no probs but is up from 1am onwards all night long,its causing me serious problems as i cant function properley,big problems in my sisters house to,her AS son is not cooperating with taking his melatonin and doesnt go to sleep til 4-5am and is then too tired to get up for school.

kieran is a total nightmare when it comes to bed time,he stay up till 2am if he can get away with it just watching dvd x or listening to music through his headphones or on his psp,but he is 19 but i still need to know that he s settled for the night br=efore i can go to sleep.W have trouble with him staying in bed in the mornings we have to be quit as church mice otherwise he is up at any lttle noise i think he fears that he is missing something but its also a brseak for us if he lays in and its not like he as to get up for anything as he doesnt go anwhere ever but he says sleeps a waste of time and its boring.

lynn

L (2 and a 1/4) is a nightmare. He's only slept through about four weeks of his life. He finally started sleeping through three weeks before we spent a week in the assessment unit and we were back to square one with sleep. Then we'd kinda got a weeks worth of sleep over Christmas till we took him to a party on Sunday and again, sleep went out the window.

Generally he'll go down to bed okay but will wake around 2.30am distressed and needs settling. If his routine is altered though getting him to bed is a nightmare, and you can guarantee 2-4 wake up calls through the night (like last night) and a very early morning (pre 6am)

Lynne

i sympathise - my 12 yr old never goes to sleep before midnight sometimes its 2 in the morning and i hear him wandering around then he wakes at 5 and goes downstairs to watch tv. He has never been a great sleeper though he takes after me in that respect.

Once his 10 yr old sister gets off shes ok she usually goes around 10.

both actually go to their bedrooms at 8.30 though, theyre quite good like that. :robbie:

Alex (16) has always been a bad sleeper. He's usually still awake at 2am, then is on and off all night.

We we lived in Melbourne, he took part in a sleep study, we got most of the way through it, then decided he didn't like the taste of the medicine anymore, mind you it wasn't very nice :sick:

This was the study - http://www.rmit.edu.au/departments/ps/rese...limeni/PLSA.htm

J was horrendous :( awake for 3-4 hours every night in the early hours - until the paediatrician prescribed melatonin ... still have some problems but, with nights of undisturbed sleep in between, it seems easier to deal with...

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We never use to sleep,the first 3 years got about 2 hours on a good night.

Now he's not to bad, good night sleep about 9.30 up 7am

starting to go in mood up a few times in the night shouting and screaming

Bad day horrid night up and down all night but this can go on for months

But at least he now sleeps :dance: .

My daughter (16) goes to bed very late and is often still awake at 1 am and even beyond. It used to be due to stress when she was at school but even though she is happier this pattern has continued. She sleeps late in the morning and has even been known to sleep till 1 or 2 pm if there is no one to wake her. It's very difficult to get her up and ready to go to college by 9 am she needs at least 2 hours to manage the morning routine.

She's been known on occasion to sneak back on to the computer when everyone else has gone to bed so we now lock the study door as a precaution. Apart from that there's little else we can do to change this pattern I fear.

Kathryn,

Alex is the same, it also takes him a couple of hours to get organised in the morning. We have the upstairs PC off by 11pm every night, then he's in his room and potters around in there (DVD or PS2) 'til about 2am.

We've tried everything to change the sleeping pattern, nothing's worked.

Annie,

Is this specifically an AS or just a teenage thing do you think? I don't have enough experience of NT teenagers to know if they follow similar sleep patterns. I'm sure they don't need hours to get ready in the mornings!

I used to have very similar habits and would often sleep late if I was allowed to. Having children cures one of this habit for good!

K

Kathryn,

My other son (NT) is 15, 13 months younger than Alex, he goes to bed between 10.30-11.00pm and gets up 7.45am, gets ready and is out of the house for school by 8am. If there's no school, he's up by 10am in the morning. So going by my two, I reckon it must be an AS thing.

Mind you, I used to be able to sleep late to, I can't now though :wacko: even though I don't have to get up for the boys.

My 2 year old is beside me in bed right now saying. 'I got burps' and making a tent. She will get tranferred into her own bed in about half an hour. She had one ten-minute power nap in the car today. My four year old comes in almost every other night and I just flick back the duvet for him to crawl in. My six year old is asleep at 8.30pm and goes all the way through. My 11 year old needs tucked backed in a couple of times during the night. Sometimes there is no room when I try to get back into our kingsize bed, so I go into one of the kid's, or if that is wet (ugh) the sofa. We call this musical beds. Mr J is allowed to escape getting kicked out of bed as he has bread-winning to do, and by the time I've kicked him awake I am so wide awake I can't get back off again. I'm usually up at 6.30am even at weekends.