Sign in to follow this  
stressedmumto2

Advice Please

Well at 12 today I have an education welfare officer coming around about my son's attandance and I just need some advice on what to say, ask for etc.

Son has diagnosis of adhd with some AS tendancies. He has been assesed by SALT and ed physco who both said they felt he didn't meet the criteria for a diagnosis of AS however the school head mistress has told me she feels he has autistic traits.

He's very violent at home when he doesn't get his own way.

Last week he refused to go to school and as he had bit me the school said take him home and bring him back when he get's bored i'm now on the 4th day of having this advice, every other day I have managed to get him into school in the afternoon by staying ouside the school in the car but today i needed to come home. School are concerned about it but don't want to force him in incase he lashes out at staff. The thing is in his eyes he has now won and doesn't need to go to school.

Today I asked the school to contact the Education Welfare Officer who has said she will come round at lunch to see us and chat to both of us.

He get's 1-1 for 5 hours a week and today I asked the headmistress if we could see about getting him statemented and she said on what grounds. This is where i'm lost apart from saying that he's not coming into school what else can I say ?

Hiya,

I would tell the EWO exactly what you've just posted - tell him/her you want your son in school, but the school are not being very supportive.

Headmistress - 'on what grounds' !!! :wallbash::wallbash:

Erm...... that would be the 'being unable to go to school in the first place grounds'!! Seriously, he may well be having a really difficult time coping at school and is taking it out on you - make it clear to the EWO that you feel he is not being supported enough in school and that the school need to help in getting him back in.

You can put in a request for Statutory Asessment yourself if the school refuse to.

xxxx

Mum to 2

Well done for welfare officer. Just keep plugging away at these things.

Proves that they have these people - they just don't bother telling you they have them!

Maybe a re-assessment needs to be done to establish what his needs are - and re-consider his dx.

Best wishes

HelenL

I agree with Smileymab.

By telling you to keep your son at home, the school are unoffically excluding him (I presume they haven't officially excluded him). They cannot tell you to keep him at home for the sake of it. Sending him home is not the answer.....supporting him is.

I would tell the EWO that as things stand, the school are concerned that your son is putting other pupils and staff in danger, so he is at serious risk of being exluded.

BUT......

without the appropriate support things are not going to change.

I would put in a request for an assessment as well. It sounds like the school cannot cope, but are unwilling to try as well.

>:D<<'>

R was missing lots of school last year (he was 11 and refused to go). I contacted EWO myself, asking for help. She said she didn't know what to suggest, and I heard no more from her. I told her what needed to be changed (more support and understanding at school eg: re supply teachers), but she did not do anything.

I hope yours can be more help.

Karen

EWO came out 30mins late. She stayed for over an hour whilst I explained to her current situ.

Managed to get son back into school at 2.00pm so at least I got him there in the end.

Tomorrow she is going to meet me outside school to try and get son in and give me some advice.

Lets hope I hear something that might help

Hi Stressed

Phone them to help get him into school everyday! - They will take the lineof least resistance - keep on their case.

He will become a school refuser if you are not careful and then - who's fault will it be - yep - YOURS! - you have already had the finger of blame pointed.

You have to make sure that EWO, School, SS and whover else stay involved - be persistent and insist that they come and help - or if they are not willing to come to school everyday, ask them what they intend to do about helping you and him with the issues that are prevening him going in to school.

Best wishes

HelenL